Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will take care of Hawai'i's elderly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will take care of Hawai'i's elderly?

If you are already retired or have elderly parents or are in the Boomer generation rapidly approaching retirement, how will the State's healthcare system be able to take care of you when you need help?

"...State Human Services Director Lillian Koller said the isle population is aging 2.5 times faster than the national average because residents are living longer and Hawaii attracts retirees.

By 2011 every fourth person in the state will be 65 or older, she said, adding that Hawaii is "seriously underbedded compared to other states" for people needing long-term care.

"It's not like you suddenly need nursing-level care at 65, but we want to maximize people's independence and self-sufficiency and delay entry into more restrictive settings of care," she said...."

The time to act is now, before the crisis really hits. Lobby your legislators to find solutions to this problem now. We can't just put our kupunas on an ice floe when they get too old to be productive. It's everybody's problem and everyone needs to kokua.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Who will take care of Hawai'i's elderly?

This is why getting involved in your child's education is so important! If they can go on to college and graduate with a PhD then you got a family doctor who will do home visits for that special Ox Tail Soup you make.

One of my kids wants to become rich and famous so he can, "buy me a bigger TV set." Hmmm I already got a 42-inch rear projection unit here. Another wants to be a dentist so he can fix my teeth when they fall out as a senior citizen. I tell my boy not to worry those are just dentures he sees on the Polident commercials.

So no worries for me I got my teeth and toys in the bag when I retire
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I am telling my kids to hook up with Craig's kids.

pax

Comment

I think I found the best thread for what I want to express.

I take care of my 81 year old MAMA. She is my Love and my best friend. I am her youngest (7). We are like to peas in a pod. She has her own apartment but chooses to stay with me. I've always been one to make sure all clearances and approvals were made and granted.

MAMA has medical which she pays directly from her income. HMSA 65+C and Medicare. She still pays for all her medications. She also was recieving Food Stamps. No welfare and No medicaid.

Anyway, once again because of my honesty ~ I informed the worker that she is staying with me. Guess what? Due to "My" increase in income next month of my "Widow's Benefit's" she loses her Food Stamp Benefits! She is considered a member of "My" Household! Even if she has her own apartment. I purchase her food, what she wants and cook what she likes.

Granted, she stays with me. I am not grumbling that I will have to pay for her food. That's not what I am angry about. I would give my last dollar for my mom. I am angry at the system. How can they expect citizens to take care of of their own and get penalized for doing so? The laws has to change. It sucks.

This brings me back ten years ago when I took care of my husband who died of Lou Gerigh's Disease. The State was so fast to put him into a care home that would have cost Big Bucks. However, I chose to take care of him myself at home and save the State money because I loved my husband. Awww...neva mind.

I was raised in believing to take care of one's own and not depend on others. With the God I believe in, I will be able to continue to take care of my MAMA and whoever else that will need me.

As for the our Screwed State System ~ things need to be changed. It's starts with the Legislature. If we don't say nothing - than nothing is going to happen. Don't wait till it happens to one of your loved ones or worse to you!

Aloha,

Auntie Lynn

They can have their Food Stamps! I take her out eat most of times anyway!
        Last edited by 1stwahine; January 26, 2006, 05:23 AM.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

In the StarBulletin this morning
          "Isles struggle with senior care...
          "The high cost forces some in Hawaii to alter their lifestyles to give in-home care" http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/03/news/story05.html

I don't know about other folks but for me, it's not about financial burden. I'm fortunate to have the medical skills and background to take care of my 81 year old mother. Presently, she is able to function normally just a little slower.

When the time comes when she no longer is able to care for herself or becomes invalid as did my late husband - as long as I'm alive and able to continue to care for her as I am today, I will do so Lovingly.

As for my own future someday and what will happen? I raised my children well enough to know they too will make the right decisions. I would never want to become a burden. However, if they do put me in a Care Home...betta get some good looking DUDES!

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; April 3, 2006, 10:19 AM.

Comment

The real question is "Who is currently NOT taking concern for their parents?"

To say that some govt agency should be in charge is crazy. People been gettin old for ages without the government's help.

When my parents are old enough, I'm sure they will either live with me, or in a care facility that I pay for. Are there any other options?
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
              The real question is "Who is currently NOT taking concern for their parents?"

To say that some govt agency should be in charge is crazy. People been gettin old for ages without the government's help.

When my parents are old enough, I'm sure they will either live with me, or in a care facility that I pay for. Are there any other options?
              What if your parents "don't want to burden you" by having them live with you, and you can't afford to totally subsidize your parents' living in a care facility? That's the issue many local families are encountering now.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

When my intentions are good, and the reasoning sound, if someone chooses not to listen to me, then I am seldom worried. Cast off, and raise sails.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

What if 'thier' intentions are good and 'thier' reasoning sound in their minds, but they don't match with yours? Point being, my mother lives on her own (as she wishes), but could be saving much money to stay with my wife and I. She owns a dog which she loves and that prohibits her from most elderly housing. At this time she is getting by, but I forsee in the future where she'll need more help and with the cost of living constantly going up, we'll see. My wife and I wish to retire in Fiji (hopefully) and to that end have helped a few through school. I'm easy and don't need too much. Just hope to eat well. Again we shall see. It is all about choices and circumstances, eh?
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                    [...]Are there any other options?
                    Judging by what I've seen on the streets, parks and beaches...yes. A horrible option but an option nonetheless. For some, the only option.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      Judging by what I've seen on the streets, parks and beaches...yes. A horrible option but an option nonetheless. For some, the only option.
                      Tutusue, I love your choice of new avatar, but feel it doesn't fit you.... no smile.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                        Tutusue, I love your choice of new avatar, but feel it doesn't fit you.... no smile.
                        My mug shot (see the Michelle Wie thread) lost detail in scaling it down to HT standards. What isn't evident is the 'pucker'. The Humane Society's graveyard shift photographer was...HOT! I puckered up. He shot and ran. <sigh>

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

The Humane Society's graveyard shift photographer was...HOT! I puckered up. He shot and ran. <sigh>
                          A puckered up feral tutu from Makaha? Did he get you with the rabies shot?
                          Last edited by lurkah; April 3, 2006, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                            A puckered up feral tutu from Makaha?

Hard to believe, I know!
                            Did he get you with the rabies shot?
                            He thinks he did but I faked it. Don't tell him.

Comment

Tutusue, your Avatar is awesome! Too funny. I've been checking in reading while I can, cause today the elderly - MAMA was taking care of the Disabled - Me!

Tomarrow looks like the same. I hope and pray she doesn't put me in a Nursing Facility or Mental Institution!

Good Night,

Back to bed I go....

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                              X