Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CSPAN2 to disappear; Olelo wants a 6th channel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSPAN2 to disappear; Olelo wants a 6th channel!

There was a trailer across the screen on CSPAN2 today which said that effective February 1 CSPAN2 would go away, to be replaced by yet another Olelo channel. There are five Olelo channels already.

Ok, I'm biased. I don't think I've ever watched an Olelo program in my life, but in looking at the programming, I can see why. Other than legislature/city council meetings, there's nothing there I want.

CSPAN2, on the other hand, has programming I really care about. Book Notes (and BookTV in general) on the weekends has interviews with authors, often authors of books about current national affairs of great interest to me.

Any other CSPAN2 viewers here? We need to write letters (Oceanic has no e-mail address on its website; just a form to fill out) to Norman Santos, V-P of Operations of Oceanic, protesting the decision to turn over another channel to Olelo.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: CSPAN2 to disappear; Olelo wants a 6th channel!

I believe Norman Santos e-mail is nsantos@twcable.com. Bear in mind
    it is the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs-CATV division
    that mandated Oceanic to add an additional Olelo channel.

Edit: I was wrong his e-mail is norman.santos@twcable.com
    Last edited by Aaron S; January 23, 2006, 04:12 PM.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Breaking news, as yet unconfirmed by return e-mail from either Santos or the DCCA people:

A trailer just went across the screen while watching CSPAN2 which said the channel would be available on Oceanic Channel 78 from February 1 on.

So now I wonder how many calls/letters they got. Mom called our State Rep. today (his office had seen the letter in the Advertiser yesterday), and she called Senator Akaka's office (hey, it's the US Senate we'd be losing, so call one of its members). The Senator's staffer said she'd gotten a lot of calls about it.

Comment

Kind of strange since channel 78 tends to air paid programs for the most part and one time Kamen Rider V3. Couldn't the 6th Olelo channel go there instead?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
          Kind of strange since channel 78 tends to air paid programs for the most part and one time Kamen Rider V3. Couldn't the 6th Olelo channel go there instead?
          You'd think so. It was convenient to have CSPAN1 on 48 and CSPAN2 on 49.

At this point as long as they continue to run CSPAN2 somewhere...

Comment

Sort of a happy ending kind of thing, unless of course one was a coin collector buying stuff being sold on channel 78, which I am not but it was the kind of program that was airing before and after the Kamen Rider V3 episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
              Sort of a happy ending kind of thing, unless of course one was a coin collector buying stuff being sold on channel 78, which I am not but it was the kind of program that was airing before and after the Kamen Rider V3 episodes.
              You know, I wondered about that. It seems like there are at least three shopping channels on Oceanic, which might be two more than required. I wish I knew of a place to get (free) statistics/ratings for local cable television.

Comment

If you're ever tempted to use Oceanic's "contact us" form at its website, don't bother.

From an e-mail I got today:

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:57:37 -0500

Thread-Topic: Help Desk Contact Us: Linkmeister
                Thread-Index: AcYbvwNC+/zuwGzxRSC27FfrdoDP1QhHMO5g
                To: <My email address>
                X-OriginalArrivalTime: 01 Mar 2006 02:57:38.0161 (UTC) FILETIME=[E60ACE10:01C63CDB]

CSPAN2 is now sharing with 78 Hawaii on Ch. 78. It will also be
                available full time on our Digital Cable Service effective March 1st.

-----Original Message-----
                Posted At: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:37 PM
                Note that I filled out that form complaining about the transfer of CSpan2 channel 49 to Olelo on January 17 and today they got around to answering it, six weeks later. I suppose the Digital Cable news is what prompted them to answer me at all.

Sheesh.

Comment

Just a little history to this — one of the main reasons ‘Olelo began adding all these stations is because the State D.O.E. developed all this programming.

Telecourses at numerous U.H. campuses, high school student productions, and even independent endeavors like UH-Manoa’s Student Video and Filmmakers Association which produces a “UH Magazine” television show ... all use ‘Olelo.

In fact, a little-known fact, is that the entire 2nd floor of the ‘Olelo building is run by the D.O.E. Kind of curious when you consider the main mission (federally mandated by the way) of ‘Olelo is to provide COMMUNITY access to the T.V. airwaves.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                    Just a little history to this — one of the main reasons ‘Olelo began adding all these stations is because the State D.O.E. developed all this programming.

Telecourses at numerous U.H. campuses, high school student productions, and even independent endeavors like UH-Manoa’s Student Video and Filmmakers Association which produces a “UH Magazine” television show ... all use ‘Olelo.

In fact, a little-known fact, is that the entire 2nd floor of the ‘Olelo building is run by the D.O.E. Kind of curious when you consider the main mission (federally mandated by the way) of ‘Olelo is to provide COMMUNITY access to the T.V. airwaves.
                    TuNnL - Your information is incorrect.

Only about 1/2 of the second floor of the Olelo Building is D.O.E.'s Teleschool Branch.

The other part is still All Olelo (Playback, Programming, and Technical Staff)

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      TuNnL - Your information is incorrect.

Only about 1/2 of the second floor of the Olelo Building is D.O.E.'s Teleschool Branch.

The other part is still All Olelo (Playback, Programming, and Technical Staff)
                      An even little less known secret... is that the back 1/3rd of the Olelo Building
                      is actually a Warehouse for Louis Vutton!!!!

Now I wonder where/who Louis Vutton Company pays the rent for that spot too???

Comment

Working...
                      X