State Legislators want 15,000 affordable homes built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Legislators want 15,000 affordable homes built

While I think the plan is very ambitious and noble, the nagging question in my own mind is: where the heck are you going to find the real estate for 15,000 homes? Or are you going to confine the residents of these places in high rise buildings (which are more economical) and force them to live like residents in MWH and other public housing facilities do? The State, more than the states on the mainland, has a finite amount of buildable land left, and if this plan means developing more farmland, I'm not sure that would be the right thing to do for the future of the 'aina.

"...An ambitious plan calls for spending $78 million this year and $286 million more over the next five years to provide affordable homes for Hawai'i residents and services for homeless people.

The Joint Legislative Housing and Homeless Task Force yesterday issued its report, which has a goal of building 10,000 to 15,000 affordable units within five years. Its spending proposal includes $40 million to support homeless shelters and service providers.

The building plan would dwarf recent government-supported affordable housing construction, which has resulted in about 2,000 new units since 1992.

A lack of affordable housing has become one of the most pressing economic issues of the decade, with skyrocketing home prices, soaring rents and a growing homeless population. Funding for public housing dried up in the 1980s and more than 20,000 people are on waiting lists to get in...."

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: State Legislators want 15,000 affordable homes built

The State, more than the states on the mainland, has a finite amount of buildable land left, and if this plan means developing more farmland, I'm not sure that would be the right thing to do for the future of the 'aina.
    Absolutely, for sure, not the right thing to do in Hawai'i, if the homes are to be built on farmland, and if agriculture is ultimately to be preserved in the state!

I saw the light years ago....agricultural is all pau in Hawai'i...unless the state finds a way to stop both types of incessant growth in Hawai'i's population: The natural growth expected from the current population in place in Hawai'i and those migrating/retiring from the mainland. The only place to put 15,000 affordable homes, in my opinion, unfortunately, would be on farmland. Or is another Hawaii Ocean View Estates, built on lava fields or non-arable land, ala H.O.V.E., planned?
    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; January 18, 2006, 09:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I think it would be cheaper in the long run, and quicker, if they would put the bite on real estate speculation by providing major tax relief for owner-occupants taxing the crap out of out-of-state investors and speculators.

Blaine
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Land Use and Urban Planning is a very misunderstood concept in Hawaii.

The only way to preserve farmland is to verticalize the environments. That's right folks. Where you pave it, you better pave it real TALL. We can grow children on the 97th floor, but we cannot grow oranges or graze cattle up there. The opposite is true. If we cover the land in housing to grow our children, where will we grow our food.

Smart-Growth is a term that is starting to gain some recognition in Hawaii. Mixed use environments are crucially important. It goes like this. 1st Floor - Safeway, Floor 2,3,4 - Retail shopping, Floor 5&6-Office Uses, Floor 7,8,9-Small Studios(400sf), then a couple floors of 1 bedrooms, then a couple floors of 2 bedrooms, then a couple floors of 3 bedrooms, then at the top, some larger penthouse style suites. Now people of many different economic strata live in the same building. They meet on the elevator. Rich people need maids. Students need odd jobs. Promotes the economy.

We MUST STOP subdividing the farmland no matter what.

Funny how you never see the anti growth crowd protest at the maternity ward.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I've been saying that for years now, that despite the tallness of buildings, their environmental impact is less intrusive than building wide. Flora need wide spaces to grow and lots of sunlight. For the most part human beings just eat and sleep in their dwellings so stacking them up is by far a better use of land than to spread urbanism wide across ag lands. And you use less resources to pave roads too since everybody's on top of each other instead of spread around.

I hear counties around Hawaii are partially subsidizing home mortages too for families who would normally qualify for Section 8 rental housing. How do any of you out there feel about the government paying for part of a mortage from taxpayer dollars, most of which are coming from taxpayers who cannot afford to own their own homes so must rent in order to help subsidize somebody's dream of owning a home!

When I was a taxpayer that rented I felt so frustrated that my tax dollars were being used to help pay for somebody's car insurance because they were on some form of government subsidy program (welfare) while I had to slide my auto insurance premium another month so I could pay my rent. And even that was pissing me off. My wife and I worked hard so we could afford to rent a house but somewhere some of my hard earned tax dollars were being used for someone who just wasn't motivated to work to help pay for their Section 8 rental.

I paid for someone elses: car insurance, housing rental, and medical insurance while I struggled to pay for my car insurance, housing rental, and medical insurance...AND I WAS WORKING TO GET AND PAY FOR IT!!

I took the time to educate myself, get good grades, take the crap from my bosses all to make a paycheck to feed, house and transport my family.

If people want more affordable housing then there should be strings attached like subsidized education or community service. I can understand those who cannot work or get any higher education because of disabilities, however there are some who are just plain lazy and choose not to work. Here on the Big Island I see a lot of that. I hope these 15,000 affordable homes don't fall into the hands of these individuals.

If the State of Hawaii wants to help anybody, they need to focus on the Gap Group. Those who make too much to qualify for government subsidy yet not enough to make ends meet. I was there and it frustrated me when I saw someone obviously on welfare driving brand new cars while I drove around in my rusted out 86 Buick Century stationwagon because I chose feeding my kids instead of a new car payment every month.

My landlord would fuss over me missing my rent by a couple days having to take out short term high interest loans to make ends meet while section 8 tenants next door never got a knock on their doors for rent payment.

I fed our kids Hamburger helper stretching the beef with oatmeal so 1-pound of hamburger could feed five kids while my neighbors were firing up their Weber grilling steaks!

I had HECO come knocking on my door telling us to pay our bill by 4pm or have our electricity cut off because I had to choose between food or electricity.

Yeah I overcame those days of adversity but you know what? If I could so can anyone else and that includes able-bodied people who choose not to work. I'm all for affordable housing, but man if you want it you better work hard for it, cuz I had to and many of us Gap Group taxpayers had to as well.

There comes a time when to get something you have to earn it. Wow what a concept huh? BTW I learned that in school!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Something tells me, from reading the passion and forcefulness of the latter posts in this thread, that many of you were either (or still are) employed in farming, or at the least, have an understanding about the ag lands by perhaps living among it at once time.

Timkona: You sound that you might be a fellow sod-buster yourself!

It's refreshing to read that there are still people in Hawai'i who still give a damn about her croplands.

Comment

Hi I'm pretty fresh to this message board so I don't want to spam. I posted about this topic on a different thread so I'll just link it : http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=7690

Jewlipino

Comment

Working...
              X