Walmart opening in Pearl City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart opening in Pearl City

Attention Walmart shoppers! Come 8 a.m., Jan. 31, you will have another new store to in which to practice your retail options!

"...The new store is scheduled to open its doors at 8 a.m. featuring a typical mix of merchandise found in other Hawai'i Wal-Marts, but with a few embellishments that make the Manana store somewhat distinctive.

On first impression, some local shoppers may notice that the 147,979-square-foot store has the architectural flavor of a sugar mill.

A faux water tower tops the store's garden center, and parts of the new building's facade were designed to resemble an old mill warehouse, with exposed steel beams and some walls colored a shade approximating the stain of red dirt from plantation fields.

Store signs have yet to be installed, which likely will leave no mistake that the mill-style warehouse is a Wal-Mart. The parking lot, of course, is trademark Wal-Mart: big, with 802 stalls. And the outlet will be open 24 hours like the other Wal-Mart stores on O'ahu.

Inside, the Manana Wal-Mart is the first in Hawai'i filled with skylights to allow electric lighting to be dimmed or shut off on bright days. Familiar features include a McDonald's, pharmacy, American Savings Bank, photo lab, portrait studio and vision center.

About 600 people have been hired from 2,800 applicants, according to the company. Roughly 70 percent, or around 400, have full-time jobs. The company is still seeking about 30 more part-time employees, according to store manager Boyd Schneider, who started with Wal-Mart in Minnesota and has been a store manager in Lihu'e and Hilo...."

Of course, it is rather interesting that the mall in which this particular WM is opening is called "Manana", which in Spanish means "tomorrow". Does that mean that all future WMs will have faux waterfalls and water towers?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Walmart opening in Pearl City

That would be a pleasant switch. I like the idea that they are using skylights to help make that building more environmentally friendly.

That's amazing that one store will have 600 employees. I wonder how many of them came off of welfare. I know the pay isn't that good but heck it's a start for some to become more independant and it helps our local economy too. I know some of the retail income goes back to corporate in the mainland, but the paychecks and the taxes that come out of those wages stay here where they will be utilized.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Attention Walmart shoppers! Come 8 a.m., Jan. 31, you will have another new store to in which to practice your retail options!

"...The new store is scheduled to open its doors at 8 a.m. featuring a typical mix of merchandise found in other Hawai'i Wal-Marts, but with a few embellishments that make the Manana store somewhat distinctive.

On first impression, some local shoppers may notice that the 147,979-square-foot store has the architectural flavor of a sugar mill.

A faux water tower tops the store's garden center, and parts of the new building's facade were designed to resemble an old mill warehouse, with exposed steel beams and some walls colored a shade approximating the stain of red dirt from plantation fields.

Store signs have yet to be installed, which likely will leave no mistake that the mill-style warehouse is a Wal-Mart. The parking lot, of course, is trademark Wal-Mart: big, with 802 stalls. And the outlet will be open 24 hours like the other Wal-Mart stores on O'ahu.

Inside, the Manana Wal-Mart is the first in Hawai'i filled with skylights to allow electric lighting to be dimmed or shut off on bright days. Familiar features include a McDonald's, pharmacy, American Savings Bank, photo lab, portrait studio and vision center.

About 600 people have been hired from 2,800 applicants, according to the company. Roughly 70 percent, or around 400, have full-time jobs. The company is still seeking about 30 more part-time employees, according to store manager Boyd Schneider, who started with Wal-Mart in Minnesota and has been a store manager in Lihu'e and Hilo...."

Of course, it is rather interesting that the mall in which this particular WM is opening is called "Manana", which in Spanish means "tomorrow". Does that mean that all future WMs will have faux waterfalls and water towers?

Miulang
      LOL It's pronounced Ma-na-na(like ba-na-na). I guess its pretty close to the spanish spelling except without the little ~ lines over the 'n' to pronounce it 'man-yana'. I went to Manana elementary and my grandma from Japan used to always call it Banana school.

I have yet to set foot in the new store but its definitely a welcome addition to this old town of Pearl City. No need to go drive all the way to the Mililani Wal Mart from now on. Just 2 minutes away from my house now!

Comment

Familiar features include a McDonald's, pharmacy, American Savings Bank, photo lab, portrait studio and vision center.
        So, only the Honolulu one has an L&L?

And I wonder what's closer since I'm living near the Waipahu Library area.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

My moms favorite store but ever since it opened she still has
          been there even though she lives close by.

Comment

I have yet to set foot in the new store but its definitely a welcome addition to this old town of Pearl City. No need to go drive all the way to the Mililani Wal Mart from now on. Just 2 minutes away from my house now!
            Yeah, but at least we don't have the traffic you folks got. Yowch! That area is nuts during the weekends....and being 2 minutes away from home, that's just too darned dangerous. <LOL>

We go to Mililani WM from Wahiawa and was doing this around once a week. We'd spend as much as a bimonthly trip to Costco. Not good. We've since nipped that in the bud, but it's just toooooo easy to spend big bucks.

Of course, it is rather interesting that the mall in which this particular WM is opening is called "Manana", which in Spanish means "tomorrow".
            Miulang, I'm shocked. No shame o'wot? <LOL>

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
              Miulang, I'm shocked. No shame o'wot? <LOL>
              Eh, get one Spanish word as well as one Hawaiian word "manana". Guess I stay stay away from Hawai'i too long yeah, that I forget about da Hawaiian Manana! (Actually, I dunno Oahu too good because I hate going there, but I was born in Kapiolani Hospital!). I know more about Maui, Kauai, and Molokai den Oahu, I think!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X