X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case to challenge Akaka for Senate Seat

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br02p.html

Meanwhile the Dem's have absolutely nobody to challenge Lingle with just 8 months until the Democratic primary.

KalihiBoy
    Last edited by Kalihiboy; January 19, 2006, 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Case to challenge Akaka for Senate Seat

And that will leave an open seat for the House in District 2. Thanks, Ed. Nice of you to try to advance your own career at the expense of your district.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

jUSt - in- Case is Verizon's (aka The Carlyle Group'$ progeny sitting on Oahu and neighbor islands' public figure's faces) boy in Washington, Dummied corruptionUSts. Case is Jeff Stone's butt-buddy,
      whether or not either even knows it, lives it or wishes it. Morgan $tanley investUSment$ is making Hawaii "destinations" like "Princeville, Kauai" what Case calls "mainstream Hawaii" of Hawai'i. Case entered his US Congres$ in the vacancy created by the death of Patsy Mink and now is preempting the death of Senator Akaka to set himself and, of course, the staff he inherited from Patsy Mink , and added to with other staff employments, "necessary expenditures -rewards for 'helping me get elected to corporatUSt$' US Congres$' " in a condition of permanent employment by the U.S. Government to service Hawaii corporatUSts, and, thereby especially east coast Mesonorthamerican capitalUSt$' interests.
      Last edited by waioli kai; January 19, 2006, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
        http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br02p.html

Meanwhile the Dem's have absolutely nobody to challenge Lingle with just 8 months until the Democratic primary.

KalihiBoy
        Well, maybe Harry Kim will get off his okole and decide sooner rather than later whether he wants to run as a Democrat to challenge Lingle. He says he appreciates the fact that the State Democratic Party needs to know who will be leading the ticket soon so they can start raising money (and we all know Lingle has LOTS of that stuff lying around...even some from folks up here on the Mainland). So why is Harry delaying his decision? To see who else he'd have to run against in a primary?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Harry realizes he's a hard sell to some Democrats. He's an independent guy, and his attitude towards fundraising is that he doesn't like doing it.

Or so I've read.

Comment

Kim has done only an average job on Big Island

We still have 25 miles of backed up traffic every day in Kona. Harry promised a lot, but has not delivered much. He is a patsy for the "politics of no", and unwilling to stand up to the negativity that pervades Hawaiian politics. Just check out Hokulia. What a mess !!

Hawaii is headed down a dark path known as the "politics of no". We can't build/do/fix anything because of bones/environment/traffic. Public hearings are full of negativists who only complain no,no,no, and yet bring no solutions to the table.

I'm young enough to say that the "politics of no" is populated mostly by people who won't live long enough to see the terrible results of their short-sightedness. When the baby-boomers start dying off, the "politics of no" will die with them.

And my generation will be strapped with the difficult mission of rebuilding crumbling infrastructrues that were built by our grandfathers, whilst the generation in between chose to complain/protest about everything, and do nothing.

Harry Kim panders to the politics of no because he has little guts for the fight.

Are you sure that is who you want for Governor?
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by waioli kai
              Case is Verizon's (aka The Carlyle Group'$ progeny sitting on Oahu and neighbor islands' public figure's faces) boy in Washington, Dummied corruptionUSts. Case is Jeff Stone's butt-buddy, whether or not either even knows it, lives it or wishes it. Morgan $tanley investUSment$ is making Hawaii "destinations" like "Princeville, Kauai" what Case calls "mainstream Hawaii" of Hawai'i. Case entered his US Congres$ in the vacancy created by the death of Patsy Mink and now is preempting the death of Senator Akaka to set himself and, of course, the staff he inherited from Patsy Mink, and added to with other staff employments, "necessary expenditures -rewards for 'helping me get elected to corporatUSt$' US Congres$' " in a condition of permanent employment by the U.S. Government to service Hawaii corporatUSts, and, thereby especially east coast Mesonorthamerican capitalUSt$' interests.
              Most of this is true, and that is unfortunate. However Ed Case has consistently stood up for the environment. In 2003, Rep. Neil Abercrombie voted to allow development in our National Forest Reserve, while Case wisely voted against it.

Take a check of his record and you’ll see he has consistently supported protecting our Kaua‘i, Maui and Big Island coastline from development. And remember it was Senator Daniel Akaka who voted to allow oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Had Akaka voted against it, the vote would have been 50-50, and would have forced Vice President Cheney (Mr. Halliburton) to break the tie.

While I disagree with much of what Case has done throughout his career, he's done a fair job in the U.S. House.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Good luck Congressman Ed Case in your bid for Senator! You got my VOTE!

...you got GUTS!!

NEXT GENERATION OF LEADERS? APPLAUSE!!!!!

Auntie Lynn
                Last edited by 1stwahine; January 20, 2006, 06:28 AM.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I liked Case. In so far as he's articulate, passionate, and generally bright. But after a couple of strategic missteps in his earlier campaigns, and with this latest drastic move, I'm definitely reassessing my view of the man.

Just like when he was campaigning in the second special election, harping on the "my extra few weeks of seniority will count more!" angle, again he's going for some kind of cold, political practicality in this move. "Hey, let's face it, Akaka and Inouye aren't spring chickens, and if a new face doesn't get in there, by the time those two retire it'll be too late -- seniority counts!"

Which may be true. But it seems like a pretty flat foundation for a campaign. And, coupled with everything else, lays bare some pretty bald political ambitions. In fact, the more he tries to frame this as "something uncomfortable but for the good of Hawaii," the less I believe him.

Apart from the seniority game, he better find another plank to stand on. The Akaka vote on the Alaska drilling bill is probably the longest frayed thread he can pull on, but otherwise comparing accomplishments and general political wisdom (and accumulated goodwill) will be a pretty dicey game for Case.

I hope to read more views like TuNnL and timkona's about just how much Case has done with his time in the House. I always wondered how well he'd adapt to representing the neighbor islands after being in orbit around the Honolulu political machine for so long.
                  Last edited by pzarquon; January 20, 2006, 06:31 AM.

Comment

He voted in favor of that awful bankruptcy bill which just took effect. I wrote him a letter asking why, and he (or, more likely, someone on his staff) replied. Here's part of it:

However, bankruptcy does have broader negative consequences.
                    First, when debts are fully or partially discharged or repayments
                    extended through bankruptcy, the loans that are either waived or
                    reduced as a result do not simply disappear, but are made up
                    through higher standards on loans to others and higher interest and
                    fees charged to other borrowers. Second, where bankruptcy is too
                    easily obtained, for reasons that have to do not with true individual
                    need but irresponsible financial practices, there is not sufficient
                    incentive to financial responsibility, and the majority that do run
                    their finances responsibly pay more for their borrowings than they
                    should. Both are true whether the lenders are credit card companies
                    or banks or other for-profit entities, or credit unions owned by and
                    for their members such as Hawaii's 700,000-plus members, or
                    individuals.

So good bankruptcy laws are a matter of finding the right balance
                    among competing needs, and assuring that bankruptcy is the
                    remedy of last rather than first resort. My own belief is that over
                    the last decades our laws have in fact fallen out of balance, too
                    often benefiting those that should not benefit to the detriment of
                    those truly in need as well as all others.
                    If anyone wants a full copy, let me know and I'll forward it.

Comment

so Stevens would not block Akaka

Originally posted by TuNnL
                      Most of this is true, and that is unfortunate. However Ed Case has consistently stood up for the environment. In 2003, Rep. Neil Abercrombie voted to allow development in our National Forest Reserve, while Case wisely voted against it.

Take a check of his record and you’ll see he has consistently supported protecting our Kaua‘i, Maui and Big Island coastline from development. And remember it was Senator Daniel Akaka who voted to allow oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Had Akaka voted against it, the vote would have been 50-50, and would have forced Vice President Cheney (Mr. Halliburton) to break the tie.

While I disagree with much of what Case has done throughout his career, he's done a fair job in the U.S. House.
                      No doubt that Senator Akaka's vote on drilling in ANWR was a quid pro quo with Alaska's fascUSt$ Senator Stevens so that Stevens would not block the 'Akaka Bill' should it again climb up to the Senate floor through the Congress'$ corporatUSt corruption of U.S.'s representative government.

Surely every U.S. Senator knows how Senate votes are going to come down, and usually why so, on most every issue up for his vote. It may seem like some sort of drama coming down to the last vote cast every time it is conceivably headed toward Cheney's vote, but that "seem like" does not make it so. The only thing Ed Case, wanna-be Senator, would have done different is to pander to his mainlander-minded environmentalist base while creating his own --and his staff's-- minature corporatUSdom, all vested in influence peddaling at the expense of Hawai'i continuing to be occupied, coopted and militarUSized by corporatUSt$ of the United States of whom Ed Case is an aspiring member.
                      Last edited by waioli kai; January 20, 2006, 07:20 AM.

Comment

If Ed Case has done so much for Hawai'i as a Congressman, why doesn't he want to challenge Linda Lingle for Governor? He could come up with the same size bankroll as Lingle (and then some). If he was Governor, he could do more for his constituents than he can in Washington, DC. But then again, maybe he's been innoculated with that power disease already. Oh wait. He's already p'offed the Democratic Party. Guess they wouldn't want to back him. Maybe he needs to run as an Independent. Or maybe he's being paid by the Republicans to act as a stalking horse to further fracture the Hawai'i Democratic Party.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Case, US republican mercy and compassion

Originally posted by Miulang
                          If Ed Case has done so much for Hawai'i ... Or maybe he's being paid by the Republicans to act as a stalking horse to further fracture the Hawai'i Democratic Party.
                          Were Case not yet getting paid directly by the Republican establisment, he could likely seek out their compassion and mercy when he finds himself not likely of ever again being electable in Hawai'i when his bid fails against Akaka and what/whom Senator Akaka stands for. Case claims to be representative of "mainstream Hawaii" , and he jUSt may be so if Hawai'i is indeed so corrupted from the essence of its being, so devoid of the human nature to not only preserve, but promote the well-being of Hawai'i wherein its people are not economically pressed into permanent exile from Hawai'i.
                          Last edited by waioli kai; January 20, 2006, 07:52 AM.

Comment

What in the heck is Ed Case thinking...honest. He had a position served
                            to him on a silver platter in Congress. Which he could've been elected
                            for the long haul.Now he does this......
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

One cool thing about Daniel Akaka is that with his experience and wisdom (cunning), he's being very diplomatic. The thing us makule guys have going for us when challenged by young whippersnappers is we use tact and diplomacy rather than brash bravado. We're like the tortoise to the younger ones' hare. Who will win in the end? Case has a constituency (mostly the Mainland transplants and business people), but Akaka can run on his experience in the Senate.

"...U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka said yesterday he does not feel betrayed by U.S. Rep. Ed Case's decision to enter the Democratic primary for the Senate but said other prominent Democrats would have tried to talk Case out of running had they known.

"I won't say that he was disloyal, but he did not discuss it with the delegation," Akaka said in a telephone interview from Washington. "And, if he did, I think the delegation would have tried to persuade him not to run."...

Maybe Daniel Akaka should think about running for Governor. Forget about the mess in Washington, DC. Come back to Hawai'i...be Hawai'i's first kanaka maoli Governor. How cool would that be?

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X