DOE report cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOE report cards

Let me start off my saying that I love my public school. The teachers are great, the curriculum is challenging (for the most part), and its a wonderful place to be. In fact, I took my son out of a private school because I felt that our local school would be better for him.

That being said, this new standards based grading system is disturbing. Instead of the traditional A-F, or E-U, we are now using an ME (meets with excellence), MP (meets with proficiency), N (approaches proficiency) and U (well below proficiency). Good in theory, but in practice, it tells you nothing of how your child is really doing. While an ME is 92% and above, you get an MP with a percentage of 73%-91%. Why would you give the same grade to students whose percentages could be 19% apart? What's the incentive to study and get a 91% when you could watch TV, get a 73% and still get the same grade? The bright kids have already learned that they can just show up for class, get an MP, and all will be well. Approaches proficiency (N) is also troubling. You can "approach" from 50%-72%. No distinction. Getting a 50% is an F in other school systems. Heck, it was an F in the DOE prior to this year, but now you're "approaching standards" at 50%. As a parent, unless I ask the teacher for the percentage breakdown in all subjects, I won't know how proficient my son is, or what level of help he needs at home. A better breakdown lets parents know how to respond and how to help. I remember getting grounded for my grades. The same grades that are now considered proficient.

As adults, we work harder for promotions, raises, bonuses, or recognition. There is no comparable incentive here. Sure, the school doesn't give the students money for getting good grades, however, the E, or S+ was still currency because it meant something to them. What do they have now? The bright kids can now become complacent and lazy, and the challenged kids won't learn any better than they already have, their parents will just be fooled into thinking they are. What a breeding ground for mediocrity.

Re: DOE report cards

We were complaining about the report cards a couple of months ago here, too.

Comment

Re: DOE report cards

Thanks. I remember reading that. I guess the reality of receiving it made the disgust much clearer. You were correct in saying that it looked like a job appraisal form. This meets no one's needs. It seems to only help the "system" by neatly putting students in the standard category.

As a side-note, now how do private schools compare students when it's time for admissions? The public schools individually decide the breakdown of percentages so a while a 90% equals an MP at our school, it may be an ME in another. The DOE has brought in a foreign and seemingly unnecessary language to our schools.

Comment

Working...
      X