Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study: College students lack literacy for complex tasks

Source

More than half of students at four-year colleges -- and at least 75 percent at two-year colleges -- lack the literacy to handle complex, real-life tasks such as understanding credit card offers, a study found.

The literacy study funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts, the first to target the skills of graduating students, finds that students fail to lock in key skills -- no matter their field of study.

I guess its because most of us go to college straight after HS, and didn't get the chance to get a job.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Study: College students lack literacy for complex tasks

Originally posted by doc1456
    Source

I guess its because most of us go to college straight after HS, and didn't get the chance to get a job.
    No, it's because parents and the school systems aren't teaching kids life skills when they are younger. My parents taught me about the banking system when I was about 10 years old by giving me my allowance in the form of a checking account that they created (not a real checking account, but one from their "bank"). Anytime I wanted money from that account, I had to give them a passbook and a "check" and they would deduct the amount from my account. They were a good bank because they paid more interest than the commercial banks did! Because my Mom worked, she let me start cooking at a young age, too, which taught me not only how to create the dishes, but I got practice in things like fractions and reading. I also learned how to iron clothes and sew clothes (and do things like sew on buttons).

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X