Jack and Marie Lord: Malihini with heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack and Marie Lord: Malihini with heart

Jack and Marie Lord first adopted Hawai'i as their home when Jack starred in Hawai'i Five-O. Now his and his wife's estate have bequeathed $40 million to benefit 12 local charities.

"...The $40 million will be used to create the Jack and Marie Lord Fund, which will generate an estimated $1.6 million to $2 million a year, to be divided among 12 Hawai'i nonprofits.

The charities, selected by the Lords, are Hospice Hawaii, St. Francis Hospice Care Center, the Salvation Army's Hawai'i division, Eye of the Pacific Guide Dogs Inc., The Association for Retarded Citizens in Hawaii, the Bishop Museum, Variety Club of Honolulu, the Hawaiian Humane Society, the United Service Organizations, the Honolulu Academy of Arts, Hawaii Public Television and the Hawaii Lions Eye Foundation...."

Mahalo Jack. I always did like you better than Danno!

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; January 22, 2006, 09:14 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Jack and Marie Lord: Malihini with heart

wait, they both were kama'aina. whachoo mean, Miu!?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      wait, they both were kama'aina. whachoo mean, Miu!?
      Kama`aina? Hmmm...I don't think so, Kimo. East coast, I believe.

Comment

I'm directly related to the person who played Zulu in Hawaii 5-0, Gilbert Kauhi...

And from what I've heard... Lord was not really receptive to a lot of the local beliefs or was not very accepting of Zulu's Popularity here in Hawaii.

Him and Uncle Zulu (Kauhi) often got into many rifts which eventually lead to Zulu's departure from the show.

While the Lord's may be doing a good service by giving to these charities... many that knew him at the time did not appreciate the way that he often tended to look down upon "local" culture.

http://www.hawaiifive0.org/july01.shtml

"It has been suggested that Zulu was fired over an incident in which Jack Lord forbade him to accept an honorary membership in the United States Coast Guard, an honor which Lord reportedly felt should have been reserved for himself"

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          Kama`aina? Hmmm...I don't think so, Kimo. East coast, I believe.
          thot they lived here for quite a while...

Comment

The Lords did live here for years. Right on Kahala beach in the condos next to the hotel. He was such a luna. demanded that no one
            play volleyball (9am?) because he needed his beauty sleep. It's true he
            was not very friendly to the natives, and did swagger around town
            much like a great white father. can't repeat some of the famous stories
            that circulate. he was just a huge egoist and good that he left money to
            the needy. he made it all right.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Jack and Marie Lord first adopted Hawai'i as their home when Jack starred in Hawai'i Five-O. Now his and his wife's estate have bequeathed $40 million to benefit 12 local charities.

"...The $40 million will be used to create the Jack and Marie Lord Fund, which will generate an estimated $1.6 million to $2 million a year, to be divided among 12 Hawai'i nonprofits.

The charities, selected by the Lords, are Hospice Hawaii, St. Francis Hospice Care Center, the Salvation Army's Hawai'i division, Eye of the Pacific Guide Dogs Inc., The Association for Retarded Citizens in Hawaii, the Bishop Museum, Variety Club of Honolulu, the Hawaiian Humane Society, the United Service Organizations, the Honolulu Academy of Arts, Hawaii Public Television and the Hawaii Lions Eye Foundation...."

Mahalo Jack. I always did like you better than Danno!

Miulang
              Sorry Miulang...

Love the Seahawks... can't stand what Lord did to my Uncle.

Comment

I used to work at Sears back in 1980 and Mr. Lord came in to buy a smoke detector. I tried to sell him the better model ($22.99) with smoke and fire but he opted for the ($18.99) special. He was a bit egotistical. But luckily he left all his money to the people of Hawaii and he helped make our island popular on with his show. I dont think they could ever pull off a remake!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

And from what I've heard... Lord was not really receptive to a lot of the local beliefs

many five oh web sites say Lord was respectful of Hawaiian culture, which wasn't evident as much as it could have been.
                  With his clout, I am dissapointed to see in one ep, Steve McGarrett refer to the Kahuna and kapu system as superstition, and a throwback to the dark ages.

Comment

Yeah, well many people in the movie and TV industries are prima donnas. But not many leave their entire estates to organizations in their adopted state. Maybe it was the their way of thanking people in Hawai'i for all that they were given (or took away).

It probably helps that they had no progeny, so that they could do with their money as they pleased, rather than have some snivelling heirs sitting around waiting for their inheritances. You could also be cynical and say that the reason the estate turned the money into a trust was to escape the taxes on it. That's probably part of the reason, too (like what Hiram Fong's family did). But you know what? Jack Lord is dead now. But his money is staying in Hawai'i to help those who need it. I can't think of a better legacy than that.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hey, now, don't get me wrong; I like money!

Comment

Working...
                      X