10th anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger tragedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10th anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger tragedy

I just realized that this week will be the 10th year anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger tragedy.

Ellison Onizuka was a hawaiian-born Lieutenant Colonel and was among the seven people who were killed in the accident.

Is anything going on at the Challenger Center on the Big Island? (or at the one at Barbas point as seen on the website) And do you think we'll have another Hawaiian up in space?
    Last edited by adrian; January 22, 2006, 05:44 PM.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: 10th anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger tragedy

Just to let you know that Challenger tragedy was in 1986, not in 1996.

Comment

I was in bed that day when my girlfriend called me telling me the news. I turned on the radio and heard the replays. Then I turned on the TV to CNN and there it was in full color. "Oh My" I said to myself as I saw the explosion over and over again.

I understand Mrs. Onizuka heard about the confirmation about her husband's death over the radio. I was working at KGU at the time and we were one of the first to broadcast their fate. I felt horrible because I made the announcement. We didn't know...the confirmation came from AP and UPI at the time and there wasn't a header indicating discretion on releasing this information out to the public as they used to do in sketchy stories.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: 20th anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger tragedy

Originally posted by doc1456
        I just realized that this week will be the 10th year anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger tragedy.
        20th anniversary is Saturday the 28th. I was heading to work when it happened, and had no idea until I arrived at the radio station. We were supposed to begin our fundraising that day; wisely, our PD cancelled that.

I was also on-air (doing a Hawaiian music show) when Columbia broke up on re-entry (three years ago next Wednesday); we had to quickly tone down the music for what is usually a very lively morning show, as we were breaking the news to many listeners (who probably turned us off and went to TV as soon as we mentioned it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          20th anniversary is Saturday the 28th. I was heading to work when it happened, and had no idea until I arrived at the radio station. We were supposed to begin our fundraising that day; wisely, our PD cancelled that.

I was also on-air (doing a Hawaiian music show) when Columbia broke up on re-entry (three years ago next Wednesday); we had to quickly tone down the music for what is usually a very lively morning show, as we were breaking the news to many listeners (who probably turned us off and went to TV as soon as we mentioned it.)
          TV sucks doesn't it?

Comment

I heard it on the car radio (probably KHVH, all news format then) and ran across the Blaisdell parking lot to get to work, where it was on all the television sets in the Honolulu Club building (or it seemed like it). That double-contrail will never leave my memory.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
              I heard it on the car radio (probably KHVH, all news format then) .

Oh my Paul Wilson will be having a hard time sleeping tonight at that statement. He spends sleepless nights and a chunk of Clear Channel Hawaii's budget to bring KHVH some recognition. I think we need to bring back the jingles again.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                Oh my Paul Wilson will be having a hard time sleeping tonight at that statement. He spends sleepless nights and a chunk of Clear Channel Hawaii's budget to bring KHVH some recognition. I think we need to bring back the jingles again.
                I don't remember the sequences, though. 5-minute newscast at the top of the hour, 3-minute at the bottom, and who knows what in between.

I didn't desert KHVH when they switched to talk, I deserted them when I found KIFO/KIPO HPR. (Hear that, ARBITRON?)

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                  I don't remember the sequences, though. 5-minute newscast at the top of the hour, 3-minute at the bottom, and who knows what in between.

I didn't desert KHVH when they switched to talk, I deserted them when I found KIFO/KIPO HPR. (Hear that, ARBITRON?)
                  They switched to all news when they lost the UH broadcast rights to KGU. They regained talk radio status when KGU lost the broadcast rights to Rush Limbaugh. That's probably around the time you deserted KHVH, when they became moderate to conservative

Comment

They switched to all news when they lost the UH broadcast rights to KGU. They regained talk radio status when KGU lost the broadcast rights to Rush Limbaugh. That's probably around the time you deserted KHVH, when they became moderate to conservative
                    Grins. Not quite. I remembered hearing All Things Considered on AFRTS back in 1972-1974, and I saw a newspaper story about its 20th anniversary (or some such milestone) in 1992 or thereabouts which mentioned the local public radio station which carried it. I thought I'd check it out, and the quality (and no-commercial format) sucked me right in.

Comment

I was in Kansas! My hubby was stationed at Ft. Riley and I was working part time at an office and they turned the tv on so that the entire office could watch.
                      Lovena

Comment

I was 11. We were watching in school. The TV got turned off. We didn't know what happened until later in the day. A lot of the teachers were upset (since there was one of their own aboard).

I was just watching KGMB promo its evening news coverage of the anniversary, with their overdramatic music, and in the two second clip they used, they decided to use the moment the shuttle exploded. It still jolted me. I guess they figured most folks were desensitized to the image, some 20 years later... but it makes me wonder how long it'll be before we see the Twin Towers collapse in a promo.

Comment

You know after Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima/Nagasaki, JFK, Martin Luther King Jr., Challenger, the Oklahoma bombing, the World Trade Center collapse, Sri Lanka, Katrina and did I forget any other bookmark in our lives that mark tragedy, I'm kinda numb already.

In the 70's when the book by Hal Lewis called "The Late Great Planet Earth" was printed, I read it and was scared to death. I thought what was happening then was the beginning of the end of man. Now as an adult I can't help but wonder if we are living in a time of Revelations. Not only prophecies from the Bible but prophetic lyrics from the idyllic 70's coming true like Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence. You've heard that line in that song: People talking without speaking. How in the world in the 70's could you comprehend that suggestion? Well now we have text messaging...and the prophecy rears it's ugly head.

With each disaster (be it man made or act of God) that we have to bear, it gets worse. If Challenger wasn't enough, it was the World Trade Center. As horrific as that was, we got hit with Sri Lanka. The magnitude of destruction only get's larger and larger. New Orleans! The city of brotherly love, destroyed in one storm. What next? Remember Osama is still out there.

It's such a different world right now. But in light of ongoing worldwide tragedy, the frequency is becoming almost annual. Nevermind global warming.

Are you ready for rapture?

Comment

Are you ready for rapture?
                            Forgive me for questioning in this fashion, but I've never understood the concept of linking "rapture" (an expression of ecstasy) to the unfortunate and random deaths of hundreds of thousands of our fellow human beings (who, one could argue, occupy various states of innocence.)

If you only look at the tragedies of life, then you could easily conclude that God enjoys seeing humanity suffer horribly. We are the ants - he holds the giant magnifying glass.

(...and the granting of red gum will now commence...)

Comment

Working...
                            X