maybe moving to oahu/big island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maybe moving to oahu/big island

my husband got offered a job either on oahu or the big island. We have a home now and a lot of things to sell. We will be moving there with a down payment of about 70,000. And probably an income of about 42,000 after taxes. I realize it would be a drop in our standard of living, but it seems like we will regret it if we don't try it out. I am looking for opinions on if we should purchase a condo or rent(which seems too high) I seem to have found the most reasonable prices for condos in central oahu around Mililani. Any other areas or sugestions would be apprecited. Like most we want to be close to calmer beaches not the crazy busy areas. Any feedback will be very helpful.

Re: maybe moving to oahu/big island

Your down payment and income will go farther on the Big Island. Hopefully you'll be able to make an advance trip to research both islands and make an informed decision. Hawaii is expensive. Regardless, it's still paradise, imo, and worth the sacrifices to live here. YMMV, of course!

Welcome to HT!

Comment

Like Tutusue says, go to Hawai'i for a visit ahead of time to check out both islands. If you end up moving to Hawai'i, make sure you also have an exit strategy in mind (moving back to the Mainland) in case things don't work out for you. Some people who move there end up with a really bad case of "rock fever" after a few years. You won't have direct access to many of the things you take for granted living on the Mainland, either, although most of it can be obtained via mail order (internet) if you don't mind waiting.

You didn't mention having any kids. If you do, check out the schools in the neighborhood.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; January 23, 2006, 07:59 AM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by islandcat
        Like most we want to be close to calmer beaches not the crazy busy areas.
        Keep in mind that "close to" means different things to different people. If you currently live in a place where you have to drive an hour to get anywhere interesting, and that's OK with you, then anywhere even in the most congested parts of Honolulu is still "close to" almost all the beaches you could want. On the other hand if you want to step outside your door and have your toes in the sand, that's another thing altogether.

Comment

Yeah, if it was me, I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a beach anyway (depending which side of the island you were interested in). Wouldn't want to go floating away if there was ever a tsunami.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

hey islandcat,

determine what kind of environment you would like to live in like Oahu has more places to go, clubs and well city life i suppose for lack of a better explanation. but if you prefer quiet, less traffic and a slow pace then Big Island is the way to go. I love going to Hilo just to get away, its so serene and tranquil. thought about moving there but it wouldn't be feasible job wise for my husband.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
              hey islandcat,
              I love going to Hilo just to get away, its so serene and tranquil. thought about moving there but it wouldn't be feasible job wise for my husband.
              Don't forget about the rainy aspect of Hilo, too. But at least the rain's warm, not like up here in Skidaddle.

Miulang

Comment

oh and i think Big Island has a catchment system..... not sure if its all of the island or certain parts...

thanks Miulang, I just remembered that when you mentioned rain..

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                  oh and i think Big Island has a catchment system..... not sure if its all of the island or certain parts...

thanks Miulang, I just remembered that when you mentioned rain..
                  Some parts of the Big Island are on catchment water, some have county water, and some are on private water systems. With the appropriate collection, disinfection (ie. bleach, UV light), and filtration, catchment water can be just as safe (if not safer) than the county water in most municipalities. If treated correctly, the catchment water in the Puna area of the Big Island is almost exactly the same as "Hawaiian Springs" bottled water.

Here's a link to "Guidelines on Rainwater Catchment Systems for Hawai'i"....
                  http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/RM-12.pdf

And here's a link to some info about "Hawaiian Springs" bottled water....
                  http://www.finewaters.com/Bottled_Wa...ings_Water.asp
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

No, don't come to the Big Island. You won't like it. Go to Oahu.

Sorry, I could not resist the urge to keep the news of our great island all to ourselves.

Anyway, keep in mind that we may have cheaper "housing" here, but you have less job opportunities, higher gas prices with many miles to drive between activities, and other things of that sort that kind of even things out a bit.

Comment

I would look in Kaulua-Kona if it is on the right side of the island for your workplace. There are several condos that will not cost an arm and a leg, depending on how much room you need. One thing that I would point out in favor of the Big Island (you're right, I'm biased) is there is less of "island fever" that will set in after awhile. Just knowing that you can drive 250 miles is a comfort to us used to be mainlanders.

It is true there is not the club life on Big Island that there is on Ohau, but there is still some fun places, especially in Kailua.

With your down payment you should be able to find a very nice place with pretty low monthly payments. Here are a couple of links to West Hawaii Today classifieds to give you some idea:
                      http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/class...ondos_for_Sale
                      Homes for Sale (183)
                      Blog Of Hawaii
                      High Definition Blog

Comment

How are the beaches on the Big Island, compared to Maui? My husband would be working for the phone company. Does anyone work for Hawaiian Telecom? If so, what's it like?

Comment

Originally posted by islandcat
                          How are the beaches on the Big Island, compared to Maui? My husband would be working for the phone company. Does anyone work for Hawaiian Telecom? If so, what's it like?
                          Maui has more (albeit also more crowded) beaches than the Big Island. Hawaiian Tel is now owned by the Carlyle Group, which is a mainland corporation.

Miulang

Comment

Big Island has several very nice beach parks. Being the youngest island, much of the coastline is lava so wading and swimming can be treacherous, but there are some beaches where you can wade out in sand like on Maui. There are others that have lava at the shore, but a sandy beach past the lava shore.
                            Most of the state beach parks have grills and many have shelters. Some of my favorite traditional beaches where the sand extends into the sea are:
                            Kona Coast State Park - Kekaha Kai or Mahai'ula Beach - the road down to the park is not well maintained, but I made it in my Mustang.

Anaeho'omalu Beach - The locals call it "A" Bay.

Hapuna Beach State Park - This beach has frequently been voted as the best beach in the US.
                            These are on the Kona side where there is sun most of the time.
                            For more information on the Big Island beaches see: Hawaii Beaches
                            Blog Of Hawaii
                            High Definition Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X