The plight of the farmers of Kamilo Nui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The plight of the farmers of Kamilo Nui

Kamilo Nui is the last piece of agricultural land left in the middle of Hawai'i Kai. KSBE owns the property but sees no value in keeping it as farmland because it says it doesn't make enough income from the leases, so it is anticipating selling the parcels off to a developer when the leases expire.

"...There's no value in holding on to the land in agriculture, particularly since the 14 farmers are paying slightly more than $200 a year per acre in lease rent, the landowner has said. Their leases expire in 19 years.

Because Kamehameha Schools has entered into an agreement with local developer Stanford Carr Development, which has agreed to purchase the 87 acres and develop it, Kamehameha Schools is left waiting for Carr to make a move.

This is the last chunk of land that, until recently, residents thought would remain in agriculture and not be turned into homes.

Residents who want to see the land remain for farming have organized a meeting with the landowner, the community and the farmers for the second time in six months to discuss its plans for the land....

"...Residents say the valley plays a vital role in preserving Hawai'i Kai's ecosystem. It is a watershed, a green belt. Mostly, it's the last valley in Hawai'i Kai to remain free of homes.

"Once it's gone, it's gone forever," said Tai Hong, a member of the Livable Hawai'i Kai Hui, a group formed to preserve open space in the community. "The land is very valuable now, but we want to strike a balance between preservation and development."

The land lies outside the city's designated area for development. Being outside the urban growth boundary and being designated as agriculture land, should offer protection, but rezoning has happened before on farm land in Hawai'i Kai. More than 1,000 new homes have been added to the community during this recent spate of development and is not reflected in current census figures that show there are 27,657 people. That's a 0.8 percent increase from 1990 to 2000...."

What a terrible shame and loss it would be if KSBE cannot be persuaded to work with the farmers to figure out a way to keep the disputed land agricultral, or at the very least, without houses on it. What a loss for Oahu, too.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: The plight of the farmers of Kamilo Nui

Never mind what KSBE does or doesn't want. Development in Kamilonui Valley would require not only a decision by KSBE, but a vote on rezoning in the Honolulu City Council. KSBE is not answerable to the public; the City Council is. That's where the public pressure has to be applied.

Edit: Previous related thread here.
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; January 23, 2006, 08:21 AM.

Comment

From OUCH (Organization Upset about Congestion in Hawaii Kai)

Admiral Robert Kihune, a Kamehameha School Trustee, recently said in an Advertiser story that Hawaii should be more self sufficient in energy and food.

The Asset Managers of Kamehameha School would like to sell the 87 acres of FARMLAND? OUCH
      Tai Hong

Comment

I, too, hate to see open spaces disappear.

On the other hand, there is no activity I can think of that is worse for the aina than farming. Think of all those poisons (fertilizers, pesticides, etc.) dumped into the ground for decade upon decade as the farmers rape the land, stripping it of its natural minerals and flora. Those poisons are in the ground forever.

I don't understand why people consistently act on the mistaken assumption that farming = good for land and housing = bad.

Comment

I do not rape the land from which I grow food for the benefit of other people. But if some think I do, fine...I shall retire from farming for the masses, concentrate on growing enough for myself and a few select others, and let those who accuse me of "raping" the land I grow their food on fend for themselves.

I'm curious how they can do it better.

Comment

Randy, the point I was trying to make is that farming isn't necessarily "good" for the aina and housing necessarily "bad." Each comes with its problems. Surely you understand that? Simple minds look at housing and think "bad," then look at farmland and think "plant life, good!" without considering what it takes to keep those plants alive and healthy.

Each is, in its way, a necessary evil. We need them to survive, so we balance their perceived "harm" with their benefits. Just like many other characteristics of our species.

ETA: Randy, I sincerely apologize for offending you. I know we need to grow crops -- we all depend on farmers like you to survive. I was trying to bring up another factor that I thought was missing from the discussion, not piss off a friend.
            Last edited by MadAzza; March 24, 2006, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X