The Governor's Race 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Governor's Race 2006

This morning, Randall Iwase announced that he will make it official this Friday that he plans to run for the Office of Governor. Duh. Announcing his plans is announcing already. What he going have one band and celebration? Woopie doo! Whateva's...more the merrier.

GOVERNOR
    Linda Lingle (R)*
    Kirk Caldwell (D) - State Rep. & Attorney
    Robin Campaniano (D) - Insurance Company Executive & Ex-State Insurance Commissioner
    Mitch D'Olier (D) - Developer, Rancher, Attorney & Ex-Hawaiian Airlines President
    Colleen Hanabusa (D) - State Sen., Attorney & '03 Congressional Candidate
    Harry Kim (D) - Hawaii County Mayor, Ex-Hawaii County Civil Defense Director & Army Veteran
    Mike McCartney (D) - Public Television Executive & Ex-State Sen.
    Ozell Daniel (Libertarian) - Comedian
    Randall Iwase (D) - Former City Council Member, Clown

aUNTIE pUpUle? hmmmm.... hahahaha
    Randy Iwase/Malama Solomon (D)
    22.58%
    Jim Brewer/Renee Ing (G)
    0.00%
    Ozell Daniel/Li Zhao (L)
    3.23%
    Daniel Cunningham/A.J. Powell (N)
    0.00%
    Linda Lingle/James R. "Duke" Aiona, Jr. (R)
    54.84%
    Undecided/none of the above.
    19.35%
    Last edited by 1stwahine; January 24, 2006, 08:02 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: The Governor's Race 2006

Hey Auntie, read my last post in the Case/Akaka thread. I saw your list of candidates and for the Democrats (including Iwase) there wasn't anything impressive enough to run against Lingle...but what if Daniel Inouye himself ran?

I don't think Lingle could fight a successful campaign against Inouye. And having Inouye in the Governor's seat will re-establish Democratic reign for probably another 40-years.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig, You floored me with your Post on the Case vs Akaka Thread!

Something is up with the Democratics. Randall Iwase just doesn't have what it takes to beat Lingle. The rest are just wannabe's ~ hopefuls just like I was. If Dan is the candidate that they are hiding in the wings to run ~ they will definitely have a landslide of a win and retake power once again.

However, talks are already in the making that they have chosen Randal Iwase as their candidate and will back him up. It remains to be seen. Last date for filing is in July. If the polls show Mr. Iwase trailing, they have the last Joker to pull out ~ Dan the man.

Still, there may be others lurking in the shadows that may shock both parties and join in the race for Governor. It doesn't take Millions to run these days. The people's Votes is what counts.

Mahalo,
      Auntie Lynn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; January 24, 2006, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Would Dan the Man really want to give up the power and prestige he has in Washington, DC, though? And would the younger Hawai'i voters want to vote for someone who could be their grandfather who has the very distinct possibility that he wouldn't live long enough to wage another campaign?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Would Dan the Man really want to give up the power and prestige he has in Washington, DC, though? And would the younger Hawai'i voters want to vote for someone who could be their grandfather who has the very distinct possibility that he wouldn't live long enough to wage another campaign?

Miulang
          He can only hold congressional power so long, when he's ready to step down he just cannot step into a void of non-politics with his credentials. Going from congressman to Governor is a smooth transition to retirement and everything he knows in Congress he can apply as our governor.

It's all about name recognition and Dan's got it. Plus remember Hawaii's younger voters haven't been so dedicted to exercise their right to vote lately so I don't think that vote or lack of it will influence his ability to run a successful campaign.

Comment

I can't really begruge the guy anything. He was instrumental in getting my dad appointed Postmaster a long time ago (my dad has long since retired from the postal service). I just dunno if he would be happy making that transition away from DC. You don't get wined and dined as much when you're a Governor. And as Governor, could he accomplish very much in 4 years? I doubt he'd run for re-election.

Miulang

P.S. I know Dan's got name recognition. The placards from his last re-election campaign 2 years ago just said "Dan for US Senate". I didn't see many of them on Maui, but they sure as heck were proliferating like crazy on Moloka'i!
            Last edited by Miulang; January 24, 2006, 12:18 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Gov. Lingle's proposal for what to do with the State's excess revenues is raising some eyebrows. She's proposing a one-time tax rebate $150 for all Hawai'i taxpayers and revising the state income tax levels to exempt more low income families.

"...With everyone at the state Legislature focused on what to do with a projected $574 million state budget surplus, Gov. Linda Lingle outlined her plans for the money that include a one-time rebate for all taxpayers, coupled with raising the standard deduction and widening the state's income tax brackets.

Trying to put it in real-life terms, Lingle said the enactment of her $285 million tax plan would return as much as $1,568 to a family of four earning less than $50,000 a year...."

Is Lingle a Republican in Democratic clothing? Or is she a hybrid, a new style politician who is taking the best ideas from both major parties...a moderate Repubmocrat?

For sure her gesture will win lots of votes in the next election.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Gov. Lingle's proposal for what to do with the State's excess revenues is raising some eyebrows. She's proposing a one-time tax rebate $150 for all Hawai'i taxpayers and revising the state income tax levels to exempt more low income families.

"...With everyone at the state Legislature focused on what to do with a projected $574 million state budget surplus, Gov. Linda Lingle outlined her plans for the money that include a one-time rebate for all taxpayers, coupled with raising the standard deduction and widening the state's income tax brackets.

Trying to put it in real-life terms, Lingle said the enactment of her $285 million tax plan would return as much as $1,568 to a family of four earning less than $50,000 a year...."

Is Lingle a Republican in Democratic clothing? Or is she a hybrid, a new style politician who is taking the best ideas from both major parties...a moderate Repubmocrat?

For sure her gesture will win lots of votes in the next election.

Miulang
                Yep, sure comes in handy in an Election year! I saw her advisor talk about it on Channel 4 this morning all pumped up. Made me pumped up and I don't have a family of four! It remains to be seen and given out as promised.

Ahh...Politics. Promises, promises, promises. Cut the BS.

Come on Candidates ~ start talking! Odda wise, this race is all but ova. Sad but TRUE.
                ...wait! No it's not!! There is still HOPE! Someone is lurking in the background ~ watching and listening to everything. Waiting to jump in at the right time. I wonda who? ROFLMAO
                Last edited by 1stwahine; January 24, 2006, 03:39 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=1stwahine]Yep, sure comes in handy in an Election year! I saw her advisor talk about it on Channel 4 this morning all pumped up. Made me pumped up and I don't have a family of four! It remains to be seen and given out as promised.

I too saw her advisor speak. Is she local? the Republican party supposedly sent an advisor to Hawaii shortly after the Governor took office but I heard it was an older guy and that he has been influential in decision making.

Comment

[QUOTE=candyglassy@gmail.com]
                    Originally posted by 1stwahine
                    Yep, sure comes in handy in an Election year! I saw her advisor talk about it on Channel 4 this morning all pumped up. Made me pumped up and I don't have a family of four! It remains to be seen and given out as promised.

I too saw her advisor speak. Is she local? the Republican party supposedly sent an advisor to Hawaii shortly after the Governor took office but I heard it was an older guy and that he has been influential in decision making.
                    This Advisor was for this particular thingy. The odda Advisor is the main one who oversees the little ones. When one is Governor ~ no need think foa yourself? However, sometimes betta foa think for oneself bumby the braincells makidiedead.

Auntie pUpule @ 4:07 a.m.

Note: Don't nobody dare to discuss racism, immigration, & intelligent design on this thread - and get this CLOSED! I'll give you Whack Whacks personally!

Have a Nice day

Please listen to da song by Bruddah IZ! http://tinyurl.com/b3fka
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; January 25, 2006, 04:30 AM.

Comment

But Auntie she's a haole that believes in God

Okay okay sore already stop the whack whack!!

Here's a shot out for what to do with the taxes...REFERENDUM!!! Hey it's the taxpayers money let them decide what to do with the excess! Or better yet let everyone take their cuts and put a little envelope indicating which charity or service group you'd like to donate your refund to. And let's see just how many Democrats will want to put their share back into the State's general fund instead of their kid's little league coffers.

Oh how I wish the candidates for any elected office could come visit us here on this board and talk politics. Like Auntie said this board is real people with real talk.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        He can only hold congressional power so long, when he's ready to step down he just cannot step into a void of non-politics with his credentials. Going from congressman to Governor is a smooth transition to retirement and everything he knows in Congress he can apply as our governor.
                        Actually, I don’t think Dan could run for governor even if he wanted to. The voters would be pissed. As long as he has all his brain cells, most Hawai‘i voters are akamai enough to know that we should keep him where he can do the most for our state. If he’s unable to continue, I think most believe that means he’s ready to go moi moi in the hammock on the backyard lanai.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                          Actually, I don’t think Dan could run for governor even if he wanted to. The voters would be pissed. As long as he has all his brain cells, most Hawai‘i voters are akamai enough to know that we should keep him where he can do the most for our state. If he’s unable to continue, I think most believe that means he’s ready to go moi moi in the hammock on the backyard lanai.
                          Good Morning Everyone! Dan run foa Governor? Yes, there is a possibility. The voters wouldn't get pissed. It would make the race an interesting one for certain. All candidates would bow out so fast. His name alone would carry him into Office. However, The Democratic Party will be backing up the Clown guy with no charisma ~ bad choice. It is still to early to know who all the candidates are running. In time. In time.

Auntie Lynn

P.S. When is this rain gonna stop?
                          craigwatanabe, you smart & funny!
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; January 26, 2006, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Mike McCartney is quoted in this week's Honolulu Weakly, and his last comment is about what he would do if he were elected governor.
                            The question & answer format interview by editor Chris Haire mostly discussed PBS and TV in general. But if I may, especially for those of you on the mainland, include the last Q&A below. (Italics are mine).

CH: Let's be more hypothetical. Imagine you're governor, what sort of programs do you think you would push?

MM: Education. You have to do the Three Rs. Reform, restructure, and resources. The three go together. You can't just throw more money into our system. The system needs some reform and restructuring. The bottom line for the educational system is what happens in the classroom, the interaction between the teacher and student, but we have so many rules, regulations and policies and procedures, that tell that teacher in the classroom what they can and cannot do. We've spent so much time on our administration, so much time on policy, very little time on education. We have to fix our classrooms. There's a surplus right now. Give a rebate to everybody, it's OK, but let's give the rebate to the people that (sic) need it. Let's give credit to the people that (sic) need it. But on this hand, when you look at it, we have tremendous needs. Our classrooms are falling apart. The backlog for repair and maintenance is huge. Let's take that surplus--it's not going to last, it's a one-time thing--and put it in a trust fund to save. We'll use it with our best efforts with the private sector to rebuild our schools because we got to do it someday. I would rather do that than give everybody in Hawaii $200 bucks (sic).

I guess because I'm a mom with kids in the public school systems, this appeals to me. Oh, and the "sic" wording was for MM using that instead of who; and it probably also indicates that CH knows the difference.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                              I don't think that Dan should run. DKI’s seniority and the relationships he currently has in the U.S. Senate took him a long time to develop, and Hawaii has reaped the benefits. As was stated earlier, seniority in the Senate is a big deal, and even with seniority, you need the skills and relationships to get things done. Most states could literally go generations and not enjoy the benefits we have now. To squander this resource I think would be unwise. I suspect that he knows this as well, and will slog it out to the end.

The D’s will put up a sacrificial guy to carry the flag and bide their time. In 2010 the R’s will be much weaker and the real D candidates will emerge. At that time people like Mike would have a much better chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X