First opihi, now ahi too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First opihi, now ahi too?

Sheesh. No opihi, now no ahi poke or sashimi. What next? No taro because of high lead levels?

"...The mean level of mercury in 'ahi, at .64 parts per million, approaches levels found in sharks, swordfish, tilefish and king mackerel, which the FDA recommends be entirely avoided by high-risk groups, which include children and women who may become pregnant, are pregnant or are nursing. Excess levels of mercury can pose a significant threat of neurological damage in infants and young children...."

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: First opihi, now ahi too?

Tita Miulang, I'm glad I'm 50 and single! I can eat all the Opihi, Ahi, and Aku all I like!

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; January 24, 2006, 09:59 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Sheesh. No opihi, now no ahi poke or sashimi.
      Funny you should mention this. Just last night I was watching on I think it was the Travel Channel where at a crazy, fever-pitched fish auction in Japan the large tuna were selling for around $10,000.00 (yes, ten thousand dollars) apiece .

Value of one adult northern bluefin tuna: Often over $10,000, although one prime specimen is reported to have sold for $173,000.

Price of one order (two thin slices) of bluefin sushi in a Tokyo restaurant: Around $100.

Comment

My family can not imagine life with out poke, tako, sashimi and poi (opihi too salty). I need to go to Uwajimaya now and get my fill...wait...gunfunnit...poi day is Thursday .

Comment

Originally posted by Pikake

I need to go to Uwajimaya now and get my fill...wait...gunfunnit...poi day is Thursday
          Eh Pikake, can you go back and edit the "poi day is Thursday" part out?

Otherwise, Miulang going start hoarding.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
            Funny you should mention this. Just last night I was watching on I think it was the Travel Channel where at a crazy, fever-pitched fish auction in Japan the large tuna were selling for around $10,000.00 (yes, ten thousand dollars) apiece .

Right before New Year's Marukai was selling Blue Fin for $49.99/lb. An approximately 35lb. fillet sold out pretty fast. I think most Blue Fins are in the 180lb-220lb. range.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani

Right before New Year's Marukai was selling Blue Fin for $49.99/lb. An approximately 35lb. fillet sold out pretty fast. I think most Blue Fins are in the 180lb-220lb. range.
              I don't know about you, but that just boggles my wallet. Just give me some aku, ahi, and tako poke and I'm good to go.

Comment

Can anyone post a recipe on making Ahi shoyu poke?

I haven't found fresh seaweed here in Seattle so I'll have to leave that out.

Also where is the best place to get fresh ahi?

Someone told me Mutual Fish, anywhere else?
                - Manuel

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah

That ain't no lie. It is the dream of nearly all New England fishermen to land a really fatty bluefin tuna. Those buggahs, like you've mentioned in your post, can bring in tens of thousands of dollars. The higher the fat content of the bluefin, the better. There was a television show, broadcast on one of those niche cable channels, like the Travel Channel, which documented the attempt of two young fishermen from Maine to land a bluefin. It was interesting television. If I recall, I don't think they landed one that particular trip..bluefins are pretty scarce around here now. So are the yellowfin.

The value of seafood around N.E. has skyrocketed to the point, that for a while, it made economic sense for Japan Air Lines to fly non-stop freighters from Boston to Japan primarily for the transport of seafood landed in New England waters to Japan; other freight was handled as well..I don't know if they are doing it any more. They were transporting live lobsters from Rhode Island and Cape Cod, as well as fresh ahi (tuna) from Nantucket Sound. The boys up in Maine figured out (long time ago) that there was a hugh market for sea urchin in Japan. Once those buggahs were pests..like starfish and spider crabs..now, they are a highly coveted species that, like all other seafood haversted from N.E. waters, are becoming more scarce and subject to increasing harvest regulations.

But back to the ahi...it's true about the outrageous prices blue fins are fetching now, even up in New England. Man..as soon as you land one, you can be assured you'll have a buyer, with cash in hand, by the time you sail back into Nantucket or Newport.
                  Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; January 25, 2006, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EnjoyDaRideTRD

I haven't found fresh seaweed here in Seattle so I'll have to leave that out.

Also where is the best place to get fresh ahi?

Someone told me Mutual Fish, anywhere else?
                    Mutual Fish is the source of most of the ahi in Seattle, so it would cost less there than anywhere else. Uwajimaya always has ahi (sometimes Larry's Market and QFC have ahi filets too).

You can either get it in blocks (going cost more money) or slices off da filet. On New Year's Day, ahi at Uwajimaya was going for around $30/lb. Other times it's usually around $18/lb. I'm cheap, so I go to the other side of the fish counter at Uwajimaya and buy maguro ends (already chopped up) and use that. One package (around 3 oz.) costs around $5. Uwajimaya sometimes has fresh limu next to their whole fish case.

You can get Noh brand poke mix (with dehydrated limu and chili pepper) in packages either at Uwajimaya or Hawaii General Store.

Ahi shoyu poke is easy to make: cut up ahi in chunks, add shoyu, sliced green onions, little bit sesame seed oil and if you like some chili pepper (except cannot get dakine Hawaii chili pepper, so gotta use chili pepper flakes).

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I combine my fish with: freshly chopped green onions, sweet onions, sesame oil, shoyu(Aloha brand), sprinkle of Hawaiian salt, chili pepper flakes and then limu.
                      My portions are to my taste.
                      Last edited by Pikake; January 25, 2006, 06:20 AM.

Comment

U add limu? I haven't found limu here in Seattle, where do u get em?

Last time I went to Seattle Iwajimaya had some poke made already, didn't look too fresh.

Also is the Ahi at Pike place market OK? They're priced not too bad I think, I don't remember how much a pound was going for?

Mahalo for your replies! We finally got sunbreaks here in Seattle.
                        - Manuel

Comment

U add limu? I haven't found limu here in Seattle, where do u get em?
                          The Seattle Uwajimaya sells ogo at the fish counter, although the supply probably doesn't last too long when it does come in...especially if someone like me who lives 5 hours away finds it first and buys up the whole lot.

Comment

Aha......
                            No wonder by the time I get there, the whole lot is gone.
                            You da guilty party. :-)
                            5 hours drive, yeah that's worth the trip, also the Pike Market is a nice place to visit and stroll but there's always NO parking around there or anywhere in Seattle. I might go to mutual fish this weekend to see what they have, I haven't been there before.

Have a great day!
                            - Manuel

Comment

Aha......
                              No wonder by the time I get there, the whole lot is gone.
                              You da guilty party. :-)
                              5 hours drive, yeah that's worth the trip, also the Pike Market is a nice place to visit and stroll but there's always NO parking around there or anywhere in Seattle. I might go to mutual fish this weekend to see what they have, I haven't been there before.

Have a great day!
                              Manuel:
                              If you go to Pike Place, go on Sunday. Parking in the market lots (in the enclosed garage) is only $5 all day. Not as many tourists that day, but fewer of the vendor stalls are open on Sunday. Other days you pay through the nose for parking in that lot.

Mutual Fish never used to be open on Sunday which is why Uwajimaya was so good. But I've noticed Mutual Fish is also open Sundays now so if Sunday is your day to go holoholo, might has well go to Mutual since it isn't all that far from Uwajimaya.

Miulang

P.S. I think Lurkah probably visits the Beaverton Uwaji more often than the one in Seattle, so somebody else buying up all da ogo when you go! I've seen it on Fridays, but seldom on the weekend, if that's any help.

Comment

Working...
                              X