What's a good, cheap young adult car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good, cheap young adult car?

I'm definately not into that ricing/racing/drifting/NFS/GT4 thing (atleast not in real life). I'm just looking for a reliable used car that will get me from home to work and back, and client's appointments, etc.

What is a good reliable make/model for a beginner? Something that can let me drive my siblings to school, and haul groceries, but small enough to let me feel comfortable.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: What's a good, cheap young adult car?

Any Scion. Toyota Corolla. good deal and reliable. Hondas get stolen way too often. Saturns are good too. but as in all cars there are a few lemons but these seem to have the least.

Comment

Toyota. About 6-12 years old. Preferably one that's only had one owner, who's a responsible seeming person like a senior citizen, academic, etc.

Comment

Nah, get a 67 Mustang ~ Sally!

...k-den. I serious. PM me. good deal. My car. You rode in it.

Auntie Lynn
        Last edited by 1stwahine; January 24, 2006, 06:12 PM.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Late model Ford Focus (2001 or 2002). They're economical, can be spiffed up with all kinds of aftermarket doodads, don't get stolen often and are way cheaper than a comparable model year of Toyota or Honda (Should cost less than $6,000 depending on the accessories). Lots of young people get these as their first car.

Hyundais are also a good value, plus they have that 100,000 mile limited warranty.

Check the cars for sale section of the Honolulu Advertiser. Also check with the car rental places. They usually have late model cars for sale as they rotate their stock. The cars are usually in excellent condition (engine and body wise), but they may have fairly high mileage on their odometers.

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; January 24, 2006, 06:12 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
            I'm definately not into that ricing/racing/drifting/NFS/GT4 thing (atleast not in real life). I'm just looking for a reliable used car that will get me from home to work and back, and client's appointments, etc.

What is a good reliable make/model for a beginner? Something that can let me drive my siblings to school, and haul groceries, but small enough to let me feel comfortable.

I'm going thru this dillema with my oldest boy (21). He's already got a car a 1986 Honda Accord that's about ready to deep six. He's got about another couple of years at UH so he's on a tight budget.

This may sound crazy but when your monthly income is limited but you're pretty sure your financial situation will improve dramatically in short order (upon graduation and getting a real job) then this is what I recommended to him:

Buy a decent car with a decent of options (options give a car higher resale value when it's time to unload it).

Buy it new and go for the longest (84-months) term to lower your monthly payments. This allows you to still have an economic buffer in the event you really need cash for an unexpected emergency like Circuit City having a 2-for-1 sale on the Ipod or whatever.

A used car is buying someone elses problems. A used car generally doesn't come with an implied warranty...it's usually sold "as-is" or buyer beware.

A new car may have problems but generally it's the dealers problem not yours because of the warranty.

A new car basically won't give you any major problems so for reliability it's probably a better investment than buying used.

Right now financing on new and used will amount to about the same monthly car payments (albeit new will stretch further out over the years) so your monthly budget won't be dramatically different than your friend that just financed a used car for 3-years. The difference is that your car has working AC, power windows, and that oh so important...new car smell. Toxic as it seems it sure smells nice.

As soon as you get that real job refinance that car and pay it off along with your student loans.

You want a reliable car and reasonable monthly payments? You may want to try this idea out. I've done it and never had any problems with it.

Right now Windward Nissan is offering a $3000 trade in on your clunker. For my boy that's $2,200 more than what he could sell his Honda for, that was a no-brainer.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Yeah, if you don't have any mechanical inclination, buying a new car with the longest possible financing (OAC) is the way to go. If you like tinkering with cars, a used car will provide ample opportunities to learn about how complex modern car engines are!

Nowadays, you can find loans for new cars that stretch up to 7 years. When I bought my Murano, I got a 7-year, 3% loan from a credit union, and I only have to pay $450/mo. I'll probably start paying more upfront when I get another job, but right now, I can afford $450/mo so that's fine with me. I don't like buying used cars either.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I've probably been lucky buying used cars! I tend not to buy new only because I don't like taking that big, upfront hit called depreciation.

My luck, for the most part, is due to my mechanic. He's so great that I won't buy a car he can't/won't work on. And, he doesn't let me buy a car without his seal of approval. He's even given me a mileage/timeline of when to expect problems with various parts and approx. repair/replacement costs. He's been my mechanic for over 20 years and I've had only 2 cars during that time.

It's pretty amazing when one can say their mechanic is one of the top 5 trusted people in their life!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  I've probably been lucky buying used cars! I tend not to buy new only because I don't like taking that big, upfront hit called depreciation.

My luck, for the most part, is due to my mechanic. He's so great that I won't buy a car he can't/won't work on. And, he doesn't let me buy a car without his seal of approval. He's even given me a mileage/timeline of when to expect problems with various parts and approx. repair/replacement costs. He's been my mechanic for over 20 years and I've had only 2 cars during that time.

It's pretty amazing when one can say their mechanic is one of the top 5 trusted people in their life!
                  and his name and number is?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                    and his name and number is?
                    Tim Knight at Knightwerks in Kakaako. He's in the phone book. I don't like to post phone #s on the internet. If someone else does it, that's fine!

He's a German car kinda guy, btw!

Comment

He's good probably one of the better BMW mechanics on Oahu.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

He's a German car kinda guy, btw!
                        Am familiar with bmw.
                        what is a btw?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          Am familiar with bmw.
                          what is a btw?
                          "by the way"...
                          Ah c'mon, Kimo...YOU knew that, didn'tya?!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            He's good probably one of the better BMW mechanics on Oahu.
                            Porsches, too. Highly respected mechanic. He's just so damned honest. Luv the guy!!!

Comment

I tend not to buy new only because I don't like taking that big, upfront hit called depreciation.
                              Another reason I don't usually buy new either is to avoid the inevitable mental anguish and anger one goes through upon discovering each and every new nick, scratch or dent on that brand new shiny paint job caused by anonymous others who thoughtlessly opened their doors too wide.

Comment

Working...
                              X