X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case versus Akaka

This AMs advertiser was interesting.

Here's what Case said:

Case strongly disagreed with Akaka's assessment. "I believe federal recognition is vital, not only for Native Hawaiians, but for all of Hawai'i," the Case said.

Case said the future of the bill in the Senate, where it has been stalled for six years, rests more with the power of U.S. Sen. Daniel K. Inouye, who is third in seniority. He said he would work with Inouye if elected to the Senate and back the bill aggressively.
    If you read the Closed Thread on Case vs Akaka, you will see what I was saying.

If Case knows, as I was saying in that thread, that the passage of any recognition bill rests more with Inouye, then why hasn't it passed for 6 years? Why would it all of the sudden pass once you actually got rid of the only Hawaiian in the Senate. Doesn't make sense, unless Case and Inouye are on the same page already.
    Incumbent Daniel K. Akaka.
    50.00%
    Challenger Edward E. Case.
    37.50%
    Other (Republican, Libertarian, etc.).
    12.50%
    Undecided.
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: Case versus Akaka

Aloha kahahiaka! I had a feeling you was going to start this thread. As for this morning's article...I have yet to read it. I'll be back.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My previous post:

You might be right and in fact I do question Akaka because I also question Inouye. The question I really have is not why hasn't Akaka been able to pass a Hawaiian recognition bill, my question is why haven't Inouye AND Akaka been able to pass a Hawaiian recognition bill.

Inouye is constantly recognized as the Top (in some years) and always close to the top pork barrel spender in all of the Senate. He knows how to pass special interest legislation better than most.

In addition, some of you might find this interesting. I was lucky enough to stop by Inouye's office many years ago and was invited to take a short tour. He wasn't there at the time but I did get to see his corner digs. What struck me was the office was decorated mostly with Native American Indian artifacts. Not American, not Japanese, not Hawaiian, but Indian. Feathers, beads, the whole thing. I came to learn that Inouye is honored and revered by many Indian tribes for his help in establishing and supporting Native American Indians. There are I think 180 independent Indian Nations in the US right now.

Now isn't it odd that the man who has singlehandedly created more sovereign nations in the US has not created the one closest to home?

I'm just thinking outloud, but could it be that Inouye really doesn't want an Independent Hawaiian Nation. Could he be letting Akaka run himself around the capitol while letting his other collegues know, without saying of course, that he doesn't mind if the Akaka Bill doesn't pass, just give it a good show if you know what I mean, wink wink.

I just can't imagine that if Dan Inouye is as powerful as most people say, and if his area of expertise seems to be establishing and supporting Native American people, and if he is #2 in Senate seniority, and if he's the top special interest Senator, ......that he can't get the Akaka Bill or some version passed.

That's why I think he might actually not want it to pass.

To continue the conspiracy theory, what if Inouye secretly gave Case the go ahead because he sees it as a way to kill the Akaka Bill without having to do it himself?????

Comment

kamuelakea: "The question I really have is not why hasn't Akaka been able to pass a Hawaiian recognition bill, my question is why haven't Inouye AND Akaka been able to pass a Hawaiian recognition bill."

Justice, fairness, morality, ethics all take a backseat, when a given seat at all, in the American imperialists' order of things. American business interests, practices and perversions of Christianity have had more than a century to erase Hawaiian culture as well as Hawaiians themselves, subverting Hawaiian sovereignty, expropriating Hawaiian lands and resources for corporatist and militarist purposes. American business interests own the U.S. Congress and the Hawaii State and County governments. It is amazing that the Akaka Bill even came into existence in such corrupted social, political and economic conditions.

Ed Case seems more on the path to becoming another Senator Inouye serving the interests of Israel and U.S. militarism and corporatism in Hawaii and globally than he seems focused on the welfare of Hawaii except as Hawaii may better serve the interests of the United States.
        Last edited by waioli kai; January 25, 2006, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Found this on Ian Lind’s site (ilind.com). Case’s first lie of the campaign? You be the judge.

From the 1/22 Advertiser:

Case, in an interview yesterday over chili at Zippy's in Kapahulu, said he had not done any polling against Akaka and based his decision on conversations he has had with people since his unsuccessful campaign for governor four years ago.

From the 1/22 Bulletin:

In a telephone interview yesterday, Case said he had conducted at least two surveys in mid-2005 to help gauge his chances of winning. Favorable opinions among voters were about the same for both candidates, he said, adding Akaka had slightly higher unfavorable ratings. He could not provide copies of the surveys yesterday and did not remember the exact questions asked.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Yesterday, I sent Ed an email. It wasn't the first I've sent him. When my children were in Iraq, he took the time to answer me and we've kept in contact. He has responded to my latest question. Here is his reply:

Edcasecongress@aol.com to me
            More options 7:30 pm (24 minutes ago)

Edcasecongress@aol.com

Lynn: I cointroduced proposed legislation creating a process to achieve federal recognition for Native Hawaiians (i.e. the "Akaka bill") in the U.S. House in the 108th Congress (2003-2004) and in the current 109th Congress (2005-2006). I testified on the record in favor of the bill in both House and Senate. I have called it the most important proposal to be taken up in Congress not just for Native Hawaiians but for our Hawaii since statehood. Those are not the actions of someone who does not support the bill. The reasons for my candidacy for the U.S. Senate are exactly what I have stated publicly since my announcement and have put on my website at edcase.com. If anyone has any questions about my positions on this or any other proposal or issue, I welcome their emailing me directly. With aloha, Ed

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I was kind of curious to see if Abercrombie and Case were in lockstep during last year's Congressional session, and they pretty much were, voting the same way on most bills except for things like the Real ID bill which proposed a national standard for driver's licenses (but not allocating any Federal funds to help the States pay for upgrading their equipment) and the building of a wall at the Mexican-US border in San Diego: Abercrombie voted it down, and Case voted to pass it (HR418); the bill passed.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Lynn: I have called it the most important proposal to be taken up in Congress not just for Native Hawaiians but for our Hawaii since statehood. Those are not the actions of someone who does not support the bill. With aloha, Ed
                Interesting. The MOST IMPORTANT PROPOSAL SINCE STATEHOOD. That could go both ways. Is it the most important because of THEM - the intent to help Hawaiians and resolve grievances? Or is it most important because of how it will affect HIM and the non-Hawaiian residents of the State? The obvious politician answer would be both but I really wonder why he feels so strongly????

I don't know what he’s thinking and I am not trying to put words in Mr. Case's mouth but since he is usually a man of few, well orchestrated statements, I can only ponder the possibilities.

People don't usually describe something as the most important in 50 years and then fail to elaborate with a single supporting statement for why it is so important. That’s a very strong statement. But what does it mean.

It will be interesting to see him pushed on this question, especially from the Pro-Akaka Bill perspective, during the campaign to see WHY he feels it is so important.

Remember a guy named Bush who was a conservative Republican who ran on the campaign promise of “fiscal conservatism” and “no nation building”. Then he got elected.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                  Interesting. The MOST IMPORTANT PROPOSAL SINCE STATEHOOD. That could go both ways. Is it the most important because of THEM - the intent to help Hawaiians and resolve grievances? Or is it most important how it will affect HIM and the non-Hawaiian residents of the State? It could be important to him because he feels the need to weaken it even further?

I don't know what he’s thinking and I am not trying to put words in Mr. Case's mouth but since he is usually a man of few, well orchestrated statements, I can only ponder the possibilities.

People don't usually describe something as the most important in 50 years and then fail to elaborate with a single supporting statement for why it is so important. That’s a very strong statement. But what does it mean.

It will be interesting to see him pushed on this question, especially from the Pro-Akaka Bill perspective, during the campaign to see WHY he feels it is so important.

Remember a guy named Bush who was a conservative Republican who ran on the campaign promise of “fiscal conservatism” and “no nation building”. Then he got elected.
                  Email and ask him.
                  His invitation is there.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                    Email and ask him.

Auntie Lynn
                    I have long given up on politicians. I'm a political voyeur. I'ld rather watch how it plays out over the course of the campaign. Someone from the Akaka camp will ask him many times I'm sure.

Comment

Edwin (?) Edward (?) Edlane Case, (?), is an opportuni$t. He could only wish that that Senator Akaka might die ....and the sooner the better!!
                      Last edited by waioli kai; January 25, 2006, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waioli kai
                        Edwin (?) Edward (?) Edlane Case, (?), is an opportunist. He could only wish that that Senator Akaka might die ....and the sooner the better!!
                        You are Sick! That is such an awful thing to say about any person. Where do you come from? What a sorry AZZ human being you are. You don't deserve to be on this Forum. Look at the reputation points that you have. I'm surprised you didn't get booted yet!!! Whack whack!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          You are Sick! That is such an awful thing to say about any person. Where do you come from? What a sorry AZZ human being you are. You don't deserve to be on this Forum. Look at the reputation points that you have. I'm surprised you didn't get booted yet!!! Whack whack!

Auntie Lynn
                          Yes Auntie, Ii am sick.

Comment

Edwin (?) Edward (?) Edlane Case, (?), is an opportuni$t. He could only wish that that Senator Akaka might die ....and the sooner the better!!

On the one hand, I give the man credit for having the testicular fortitude to simply take on the Hawaii Democratic Mafia Machine.

On the other, I do think it's all about Ed. If age was the real factor, Abercrombie isn't that old and obviously next in line. Even Cayetano or Waihehe could succeed Akaka. Whats the urgency here? But Ed seems like the strong sleeping lion who smells a weak aging dear and decides its time to move in for the kill.

That's just my gut feeling. No evidence. I might be totally off.

Comment

Yes Auntie, Ii am sick.
                              den go doctor and go get help! why suffer and make everybody suffer too? there is help out there. i know...i sick too.

i wish you well. take care.

auntie lynn

Comment

Working...
                              X