PDA

View Full Version : my trip to hawaii!!

carlhuber
January 25th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Hi everyone! I just wanted to share the week long trip
my wife and I (and her parents) took to Hawaii!

click here to read my story and view the pictures (http://warehouse.carlh.com/article_055)

There's lots of cool pictures and descriptions of the places we went.
We went to Oahu for a week, and since my in-laws lived there for 4 years, they knew everything about the place! It was great.

I hope you enjoy my pictures :)

1stwahine
January 25th, 2006, 07:46 AM
my wife and I (and her parents) took to Hawaii!

http://warehouse.carlh.com/article_055 (click here to read my story and view the pictures)

We went to Oahu for a week, and since my in-laws lived there for 4 years, they knew everything about the place! It was great.

I hope you enjoy my pictures :)

I tried to look at your pictures but no can. :(

Glad you all had a wonderful vacation.

Auntie Lynn

carlhuber
January 25th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Well I'm not sure why you can't just click on the link, but if you copy and paste it into your browser's address bar the page, with the pictures in it, will come up just fine! I broke the pictures up by each day, so you'll have to click on "day 2" and "day 3" etc to see the other pictures....

edit: okay, i fixed it. I must have put the code in wrong. But it will work now!!! :cool:

1stwahine
January 25th, 2006, 08:02 AM
I took a look at your story and pictures. I stopped at Chinatown. There's more to Chinatown than Indingos and a truckload of Dead Pigs. :eek: Nuff said. The main thing is that you enjoyed your stay in Hawai'i nei. :rolleyes:

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown!
momthreesoldeirs

kimo55
January 25th, 2006, 08:08 AM
my wife and I took to Hawaii!

click here to read my story and view the pictures (http://warehouse.carlh.com/article_055)

hmmm. ok. nice healthy dose of cynicism, ridicule, insult and complaining.

addendum.... I just read more.
ok, wrong. not insulting.
it's Very Insulting. heck yeah!

CranBeree
January 25th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Clicked your link and somehow I think you failed to capture the essence of Hawaii. You totally fell into the "tourist" thing.

Anyway, hope your next trip here unveils more of Hawaii to you.

kimo55
January 25th, 2006, 08:20 AM
reminds one of da old saw;
"everything is yellow, to the jaundiced eye"

eh. Aunty.
da haole buggah, he wen go diss our Chinatown.

carlhuber
January 25th, 2006, 08:21 AM
hmmm. ok. nice healthy dose of cynicism, ridicule, insult and complaining.

Hahaha, really? Obviously you were reading the writing with a very
incorrect frame of mind. Fact of the matter is, the "authentic" stuff has
become a lot more commercial in the last decade, so yes I may be cynical
about that, but, uh, you seem to have misunderstood the rest of my writing.
I had a great time. :D

Thanks for letting me know it sounds cynical -
I might take another look at the writing and try to cheer it up a little.

Because you all seem to be getting the wrong impression of my impression!

CranBeree
January 25th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Hahaha, really? Obviously you were reading the writing with a very
incorrect frame of mind. Fact of the matter is, the "authentic" stuff has
become a lot more commercial in the last decade, so yes I may be cynical
about that, but, uh, you seem to have misunderstood the rest of my writing.
I had a great time. :D

just wondering, since your spouse spent a few years here (is she from here?)
why didn't you do the non-tourist things and really capture what Hawaii is all about? unless that wasn't what you wanted to do.

carlhuber
January 25th, 2006, 08:30 AM
just wondering, since your spouse spent a few years here (is she from here?)
why didn't you do the non-tourist things and really capture what Hawaii is all about? unless that wasn't what you wanted to do.

My wife's family was a naval family. She spent four years growing up in the military housing, where all (almost all) of the native kids discriminated against her and her brother.

We did spend some time going to places that are military only, (neither tourist nor native, eh?) such as certain military-only beaches and islands. That was pretty fun.

What would you guys suggest we should have done to see "non tourist" things?

kimo55
January 25th, 2006, 08:36 AM
uh. hmmm. stay in new york?
Rock on east coast dude.

yea. "ignorant surfers"
and WE are the ones with "VERY incorrect frame of mind".
But that is all that matters; that you had a great time.

carlhuber
January 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM
uh. hmmm. stay in new york?
Rock on east coast dude.

yea. "ignorant surfers"
and WE are the ones with "VERY incorrect frame of mind".

oh my god you misread that SO bad.

you guys are being so negative.

"ignorant, peaceful seals"
ignorant, peaceful SEALS.

the surfers were awesome. i was making a comparison between the "waiting" for waves and the floating of seals, NOT insulting the surfers.

Wow.

If you're taking this: "Watching sufers is kind of fun, I mean, they're like a bunch of ignorant, peaceful seals laying out on the flow awaiting 'their' waves, when a few of them hop up and ride them out. Good times." as me insulting surfers, then man I was grossly misinformed about the Aloha spirit.

CranBeree
January 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM
My wife's family was a naval family. She spent four years growing up in the military housing, where all (almost all) of the native kids discriminated against her and her brother.

We did spend some time going to places that are military only, (neither tourist nor native, eh?) such as certain military-only beaches and islands. That was pretty fun.

what was your objective to come to Oahu? I mean why Oahu? why not the other islands? did your wife just want to revisit where she was stationed? do you have any family living on Oahu?

carlhuber
January 25th, 2006, 08:50 AM
what was your objective to come to Oahu? I mean why Oahu? why not the other islands? did your wife just want to revisit where she was stationed? do you have any family living on Oahu?

My wife and her folks wanted to visit the places they had been, seen where they spent four years of their lives, and show me where they had grown up. They also knew a lot of great out of the way areas, so we didn't have to bum around the touristy areas.
Also because of their military service they had earned the right to stay in the military-only hotel in the area (which, by the way, was very nice), which is a lot cheaper for them than at other hotels.

1stwahine
January 25th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Native kids discriminated against her and her brother? Come on, we have laws here.

Military-only beaches and islands that was "pretty" fun? Ok- beaches I can understand. Where's the islands? As far as using the term "pretty" watch your mouth around Soldiers in shorts! :p

What would you guys suggest we should have done to see "non tourist" things? I suggest what Kimo said! :rolleyes:

Auntie pUpuLe :mad:
momthreesoldiers

btw: Nobody talks Kakas about My Chinatown!

CranBeree
January 25th, 2006, 08:57 AM
My wife and her folks wanted to visit the places they had been, seen where they spent four years of their lives, and show me where they had grown up. They also knew a lot of great out of the way areas, so we didn't have to bum around the touristy areas.
Also because of their military service they had earned the right to stay in the military-only hotel in the area (which, by the way, was very nice), which is a lot cheaper for them than at other hotels.

ahhh. so why not write about the great out of the way areas or did they not appeal to you? and i supposed you stayed at the Hale Koa...
did your wife live on base housing or off? and discrimination is found everywhere (still exists in this day) some kids just know how to deal..

helen

Watch a movie at Ward Theater.
Have a plate lunch at either Graces, Mahalo Drive Inn or L&L Drive Inn (or Diners if that still exist).
Watching the sunset from Magic Island.

carlhuber
Native kids discriminated against her and her brother? Come on, we have laws here.

Yeah, they have laws about discriminating against blacks in America, but it still happens in the south :rolleyes: Trust me, this was a decade ago, they were in grade school, and they were discriminated against. The term haole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haole) comes to mind.

Still, that was a long time ago, and not really relevant to how much I enjoyed my trip.

I'm just floored that you are all jumping on my experience and either grossly misreading what I've written or taking it very much in the wrong way.

I had a GREAT time in Oahu. I don't think Hawaiians are stupid.

Sheesh.

And I thought New Yorkers were supposed to be the rude unwelcoming people.

carlhuber
January 25th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Watch a movie at Ward Theater.
Have a plate lunch at either Graces, Mahalo Drive Inn or L&L Drive Inn (or Diners if that still exist).
Watching the sunset from Magic Island.

I can watch movies in New York! Can't get the level of sushi here that we got down there, though!
And we watched plenty of sunsets :) they were magical. :)

CranBeree
January 25th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Yeah, they have laws about discriminating against blacks in America, but it still happens in the south :rolleyes: Trust me, this was a decade ago, they were in grade school, and they were discriminated against. The term haole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haole) comes to mind.

Still, that was a long time ago, and not really relevant to how much I enjoyed my trip.

I'm just floored that you are all jumping on my experience and either grossly misreading what I've written or taking it very much in the wrong way.

Sheesh.

i really thought most East Coasters were rude people although I've met quite a few that were really nice.. Took a trip to Philadelphia during winter season in hopes of seeing snow..man some ppl were extremely obnoxious..but you would find that in all places not only limited to the East coast.

carlhuber
January 25th, 2006, 09:07 AM
i really thought most East Coasters were rude people although I've met quite a few that were really nice.. Took a trip to Philadelphia during winter season in hopes of seeing snow..man some ppl were extremely obnoxious..but you would find that in all places not only limited to the East coast.

You're absolutely right. I was chatting with the sushi chefs and folks at the luau we went to, chatting with the people we ran into in elevators and waiting for restaurants - everyone was SO friendly! I was waving to people I didn't know, holding open doors for people carrying metal detectors....it was great! That's why I was so surprised when I posted here and everyone jumped down my throat! :eek:

1stwahine
January 25th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Sheesh.

From your Story:
"What we saw was pretty disappointing - just some weird creepy dark little shops that were showing some hard times.
Two things stood out about our visit to the edge of China Town: the Indigo Restaurant and a Big Truck Full of Slaughtered Pigs."

...anyone who talks about Chinatown in a negative way without finding out the True Story will be treated by me Rudely and then some. Here's a couple of Whack whacks! :eek: :mad:

Lynn Vasquez

kimo55
January 25th, 2006, 09:12 AM
This is it, below, in a nutshell. (how DO da big white faddah suggest da native take his condemnation? Tell us, massah, why must we accept years of continual impatient, spoiled touron's opinions? )

hey you. wear a bra!
hey YOU get a real tattoo. that one's all wrong.
"Watching surfers is kind of fun, I mean, they're like a bunch of ignorant, peaceful seals laying out on the flow awaiting "their" waves"
hey you merchants with yer weird creepy dark little shops trying to sell me crap at every turn. spell yer signs correctly.
and hey you batshit crazy nutjob natives. I'm right and yer not.
I'm uhMAZED you racist natives don't see the most important thing. I LOVED your Hawaii!
where the HELL is my SUE shee!?
What we saw was pretty disappointing, ya got crappy bars pouring crappier drinks and yer bay is a giant, volcanic zit.
but Whew. we FINALLY got what we wanted.

there ya go, kids. If ya can't clik on da link, that's whatcha missed, aside from pics of "hey! whatcha doin scratchin' yer butt, fer?!"

carlhuber
January 25th, 2006, 09:14 AM
From your Story:
"What we saw was pretty disappointing - just some weird creepy dark little shops that were showing some hard times.
Two things stood out about our visit to the edge of China Town: the Indigo Restaurant and a Big Truck Full of Slaughtered Pigs."

...anyone who talks about Chinatown in a negative way without finding out the True Story will be treated by me Rudely and then some. Here's a couple of Whack whacks! :eek: :mad:

Lynn Vasquez

Please, quote me out of context even more next time. Did you read the rest of what I wrote about it? "But we apparently only skimmed the edge of it. Those One Way streets that cover the area make navigation rather tricky to the uninformed."

I wrote about what I saw. I saw a butcher's truck, a bunch of dark shops, and the Indigo. I wish I had seen more of it, because my wife was really excited to go, but I didn't! Maybe next time?

1stwahine
January 25th, 2006, 09:23 AM
You did an injustice to Chinatown. Period. What you saw. What you wrote is on the Internet. Shame. Peebrains like you are going to think the same and assume that Chinatown is what you described. Such a pity. I only hope that others will be saved from the ignorance of what you wrote. :rolleyes:

I'm not wasting anymore energy on this thread. :mad:

Poof be gone!!! :rolleyes:

Lynn Vasquez

MadAzza
January 25th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Jeez, Carl, you're not allowed (as someone who doesn't live here) to post your honest impressions of Hawaii unless said posting includes exaggerated pandering to "local" (nonwhite, according to most) people/ways, slavering on about how great every single part of the island is (regardless of what you *really* thought), and paying gross obeisance to everyone and everything that is "local." Don't ever mention actually seeing a truckload of slaughtered pigs if it might offend someone you don't even know exists, even if pork is a staple of the diet and slaughtering them is a fact of their sad little lives, because you might somehow offend someone's easily offendable, delicate sensibilities. And comparing surfers to seals is OH MY GOD you didn't actually do THAT, did you? Ohhh, Carl, no ... You should be hearing from the marine mammal division of the Waikiki Aquarium next. Their seals are offended.

Shoulda known better. Nice try, though! Next time, don't be so honest and up front about everything and they'll respond more nicely. Of course, it'll be a big dose of bull, but hey ...

Leo Lakio
January 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Yee-OUCH! Come on, folks - Carl spent one short week here as a tourist, and he saw a lot of what tourists see, through a tourist's eyes. It's not like he was the first to get some things out-of-context, and he won't be the last. Remember that when next YOU travel to an unfamiliar place, with cultural aspects that do not resonate with you.

Every trip he takes to Hawai`i can teach him more, and make him better informed. There are many things he mentioned correctly that he had no knowledge of before this trip (he tried some new things like li hing mui, and shave ice with ice cream at the bottom - these may be old-hat to you, but they can be very weird to those not raised in the Islands.) Compared to many stories I've heard from first-time visitors (come on, you've heard a lot as well), he made an effort to check out a lot of different things - maybe he didn't see them at the same level as a local can, but few of us who are not from there do.

It takes much more than a week in Hawai`i to shake off any malihini vibe. Yeah, I cringed at a couple things he posted, but mostly at the fact that I had some of the same incorrect impressions myself years ago, before I was welcomed by my Alpha Female's `ohana, and I was given opportunities to see what few outsiders get to see.

Let's all go traveling to someplace outside of our own spheres of familiarity, stay a week, then write about it, publicly, in front of the local community --- you want to bet as to whether or not we'll make a few cultural faux pas? (What IS the plural form of that, anyway? Guess I will take heat now for not knowing French...)

Miulang
January 25th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Carl:
You're still young. You appear to be of the GenX age. Your kind of humor is different from what most people consider humor (but humor the younger generation would appreciate). Your pictures are great, your commentary is the kind of stuff you'd let your friends see, but not something people born and raised in Hawai'i would think was humorous. It probably would have been more appropriate for you to put your commentary on www.Hawaii.com where there are more tourists than residents. The reaction you got is typical of what someone who dearly loves where they live would give you.

As a New Yorker (granted it appears you don't live in the city), wouldn't you get pissed off if a tourist posted sarcastic comments about the Big Apple? Wouldn't you want to come to its defense too? :)

Miulang

1stwahine
January 25th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I gotta hand it to Carl. He PM'd me and asked me to help him see what I think of Chinatown. Here's what I wrote:

I was born and raised in Chinatown. My family has owned bussinesses in the area for years. I walk the streets ~ from bums to police officers they call me Auntie Lynn. Yes, I love Chinatown. I see beyond what the normal people see. I have suffered the streets as those who suffer from it too. However, I have risen from it and made a life. Still the dark side of Chinatown is only a small fraction to what is the light of it...which is many! Chinatown is a beautiful exotic place to behold. It is rich and a mecca of different cultures that come together everyday without prejudice. Foods, crafts, languages, etc. combined into one area. Yes, Chinatown in Honolulu is a place to venture and capture in TRUTH!

...it's all good.
Your next trip ~ personal tour of Chinatown by Auntie Lynn! ;)

Leo Lakio
January 25th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I gotta hand it to Carl. He PM'd me and asked me to help him see what I think of Chinatown.
Kudos to Carl - this is the sign of someone who can learn as he travels. Maybe someday we'll even get him to dance hula! (No grass skirt, I promise you.)

kimo55
January 25th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Let's all go traveling to someplace outside of our own spheres of familiarity, stay a week, then write about it, publicly, in front of the local community --- you want to bet as to whether or not we'll make a few cultural faux pas?
good idea. might do just that... But i think I will refrain from taking his advice; "Go munch on a grass skirt, sunbeam"

LikaNui
January 25th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I agree completely with Maddie and Leo. There was absolutely no call for the vicious and mean-spirited responses to Carl, to whom I would say that the attacks he saw here were the opinions of just two people and absolutely do not represent the feelings and attitude of most of the rest of 2,000+ members of HawaiiThreads.
I'm very disappointed in the way this has developed...
:(

kimo55
January 25th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I woulda been mellow and coulda held back, but when I went to his web site (segments of which I quote in my posts), the site seems to contain alotta judgement and insults, wellll... maybe it's just me, but I was a wee bit offended and went off.

1stwahine
January 26th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Me too. I love Chinatown.

Auntie Lynn

LikaNui
January 26th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Hey, anybody can have a bad day that makes them post things that might be a bit beyond what they might normally say. Just try to make sure your bad days don't happen on the same day, please! :p
<group hug>

As usual, just my two cents' worth...

Leo Lakio
January 26th, 2006, 07:09 AM
maybe it's just me, but I was a wee bit offended and went off.

Me too.
Fair enough. Just as Carl can express his opinions here, and I can pop up in defense, I would never want either of you to be silenced; I greatly respect what you folks have to say. I just wanted us to try a different perspective while reading Carl's site.

Auntie - I know practically NOTHING about Chinatown myself; next time I'm back in the Islands, I hope that offer of a personal tour will apply to me, too.
(Who knows when that will be?...the Alpha Female quit her job of 11+ years just before Christmas, and is starting a new job today...it may be a while before she has the vacation time available. Of course, I could go to Hawai`i for my job, without her - but only if I want to find a new place to live when I return to Seattle!) :p

1stwahine
January 26th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Just like Likanui said <group hug> :D

...personal Chinatown Tour for All Memebers of HT FREE!

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown! :p

EnjoyDaRideTRD
January 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Just like Likanui said <group hug> :D

...personal Chinatown Tour for All Memebers of HT FREE!

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown! :p

Anyhow I quoted your message and not his cause, eh... That's one best offer I ever seen, hehehehe I will bookmark this thread and bring it with me to show you when I come back. so u watch out Auntie, you will have to show me and who I will be next time I visit Oahu. Hehehehehe.

I love China town.

Aloha..

- Edited

1stwahine
January 26th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Manuel, Let me know when you come, I'll give you and yours the best tour of Chinatown!...The good, the bad and the ugly!!! :p And da goodlooking too! ;)

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown, Honolulu, USA :D

EnjoyDaRideTRD
January 26th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Manuel, Let me know when you come, I'll give you and yours the best tour of Chinatown!...The good, the bad and the ugly!!! :p And da goodlooking too! ;)

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown, Honolulu, USA :D

Auntie, mahalo and salamat for the offer. I will do visit you when I come back. Hopefully will try to comeback each winter we get here.

I used to go with my ex in-law there in Chinatown in downtown HNL every weekend for the fresh fish catch. I do miss that place, and of course Tamashiro for their best ahi shoyu poke.

- Manuel

EnjoyDaRideTRD
January 26th, 2006, 10:36 AM
You're absolutely right. I was chatting with the sushi chefs and folks at the luau we went to, chatting with the people we ran into in elevators and waiting for restaurants - everyone was SO friendly! I was waving to people I didn't know, holding open doors for people carrying metal detectors....it was great! That's why I was so surprised when I posted here and everyone jumped down my throat! :eek:

Hahahha, I know this joker is gone but I read his webpage and he did bash quite a bit on people, not just C-town.

"'m not exaggerating here, but about 50 Japanese and/or Chinese people leapt up from their tables and sprinted to the edge of the restaurant to take pictures of the show. Shrugging, I wandered over. When in Rome, right? I was able to get some good shots because, well, I'm 6'3" and they were not."

Not a great way to go about, we shorter folks might have advantage. He bashed on Japanesse and Chinesse folks a few times over, and to say that all Japanesse people carry cameras, oh, and we, Filipino's too, I have a nice and huge camera when I go, also my GF who is a haole carries her camera, so I really don't think only Japanesse and Chinesse carries em. Over rated communist remark he posted. I am very irrate.

"There was also a girl who definitely should have been wearing a bra. Lots of women aren't wearing them in Hawaii, but uh, hey girls, if you don't want to be showing off all the time, just remember that sometimes there are chilly breezes in Hawaii!"

Apparently he was looking at other ladies while he was in a "nice" visit to Oahu. He has a cute looking wife, how did this clown score that girl? She deserves a better MAN. True on this maybe when some of those ladies do try to hook up with other guys when they're there, I know that for a fact. They're curious about locals so they have to just try one. Thanks to the tourist I've met while I lived there.

A lot of ladies in NY do not wear bras in the summer, I wonder if this clown walks around with hard on, he probly was snorkeling at Hanauma with one, poor guy, lucky he didn't get bit down there. Hahahaha.

I am glad this clown only stayed 7 days, glad too that we didn't cross path cause I sure was carrying a good sized camera, and yeah i look like Japanesse but can kick okole like a Filipino. I'm gonna go spam his forum.

Leo Lakio
January 26th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I'm gonna go spam his forum.
Classy. :rolleyes:

EnjoyDaRideTRD
January 26th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Just kidding...

LikaNui
January 26th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I would have tore his okole up! He would have wished he never was born. (...) Aparently this clown has never been to Hongkong, Philippines or anywhere else (...) His wife probably never been to (...) He totally showed disrespect from the get go (...) I'm sorry ignorant people exist. I am too. And among those I consider to be the most ignorant are people who use assumptions such as "aprarently" (sic) and "probably" as a basis to flame someone else.
:mad:
(Auntie, if this guy ever does venture out of New York and tries to bother you, I'll give him the WHACK WHACK for you.)

Aloha, my online friends! Sorry, but you seem to have no idea of "aloha". Which is probably why that girl Laura, whose photo is on the link you provided, is listed as your "EX".
And as for your presumed list of "online friends" -- please make sure that my name isn't on it.
:cool:

Leo Lakio
January 26th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Just kidding...
Good to know, mahalo. (Don't be giving Seattle HT posters a bad name, now - I can do that just fine on my own...)

LikaNui
January 26th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Just kidding.
I don't think you were. At all.
And if you were, the humor certainly did not come through and, in any case, was quite inappropriate.

EnjoyDaRideTRD
January 26th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I am too. And among those I consider to be the most ignorant are people who use assumptions such as "aprarently" (sic) and "probably" as a basis to flame someone else.
:mad:
(Auntie, if this guy ever does venture out of New York and tries to bother you, I'll give him the WHACK WHACK for you.)

Sorry, but you seem to have no idea of "aloha". Which is probably why that girl Laura, whose photo is on the link you provided, is listed as your "EX".
And as for your presumed list of "online friends" -- please make sure that my name isn't on it.
:cool:

Sorry if I offended you AND anyone else. Thank you as well. I was just angry for what the guy bashed about. Thank u.

-feeling small in Seattle-
It must be the rain.

EnjoyDaRideTRD
January 26th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I don't think you were. At all.
And if you were, the humor certainly did not come through and, in any case, was quite inappropriate.

Once again, sorry for the post, since I'm new I will go back and erase my thoughts and opinion.

Again,

I APOLOGIZE TO YOU AND ALL!

sinjin
January 26th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Tough room.

I especially like the comment about all Japanese liking to take pictures. That's some fresh stuff there Carl. Stick around and learn something. I did. You don't seem all that bad. Really rather typical.

LikaNui
January 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Tough room.
Thanks.
You've been a great crowd.
We'll be here all week.
<rimshot>

:p

Leo Lakio
January 26th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I especially like the comment about all Japanese liking to take pictures.
My Alpha Female is Nikkeijin, and she generally offers to take the picture when we're with a bunch of people who want a group photo. She likes to say that she's "genetically programmed" to use a camera. She (and her parents) are also on the short side, and they call themselves "compact Japanese models."

But that's different - she's speaking of her own ethnicity - not the same as someone outside that group doing so.

sinjin
January 26th, 2006, 12:27 PM
But that's different - she's speaking of her own ethnicity - not the same as someone outside that group doing so.
It is different indeed. Carl just needs the HT crash course. He already got the crash part, hope he drops back in for the education part.

Anyone want to here about my trip to Hawaii?
<shuffles sheepishly>

Lei K
January 26th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I read his travel journal and many of his comments sat wrong with me as well but hey, so do most people's travel journals of their first visit to the islands. I never expect it to be any less than cringe worthy to me. I agree with Muilang, maybe a forum full of people either from the islands or with strong ties to the islands isn't the greatest place to post your first time to Hawai'i commentary and pictures. BUT it was his first time over and lots of things were new to him. Hopefully if there is a return trip in his future, he will learn so much more and see things differently.

I am also assuming everytime he referred to "Hawaiians" he was meaning Hawaiian like people say Californian and not meaning the native people/Kanaka Maoli.

Glen Miyashiro
January 26th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I suspect that his view was colored by his wife's views on her past experiences in Hawai'i as an army brat. Sounds like she didn't get along with locals very well when she was younger.

kimo55
January 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Anyone want to here about my trip to Hawaii?

Hay. Cownt mee yin. Eye won too here about you're Hawaii trip!

timkona
January 26th, 2006, 10:18 PM
This thread is proof of the xenophobia that permeates the culture of the islands.

I laughed out loud a couple times.

Those easiest to offend are often the quickest to judge.

kimo55
January 26th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I judge the previous post offensive.

Leo Lakio
January 27th, 2006, 06:36 AM
I judge the previous post offensive.
But not too quickly...

carlhuber
January 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Hey all, no, I didn't disappear or anything just because "EnjoyDaRideTRD" wanted me to. I also think it's amazing that a lot of people take racial traits as racism. The average Japanese male is 5'5"...that's ten inches shorter than me. I was literally taking pictures over the tops of the heads of my fellow dining mates. I thought it was funny...not racist. Additionally, the fact of the matter is that Japanese markets get the great new camera phones and digital cameras months before I do all the way over in New York. Not racist there, either...just jealous!! I LOVE my digital camera and carry it with me every single day!

I know a lot of my comments may have sat wrong with the vocal minority, but trust me it comes from a combination of my sarcastic writing style and my amazement of the whole experience, not bigotry, hatred, or...communism? Someone called me a communist? Weird.

As for "EnjoyDaRideTRD"'s other comment, hey, my wife and I both check out girls and guys together. It's called people watching, and it's the sign of a secure relationship! Additionally, she speaks Japanese and has been studying the Nippon culture for years.

Thank you, sincerely thank you, to all of you great people who have taken some time to understand where I was coming from with that journal. Again, it was such a wonderful experience.

That EnjoyDaRideTRD fellow is certainly welcome to come and express his views in my forum - it's a welcoming and open (albeit sarcastic and joking) community.

kimo55
January 27th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Hey. EVERYthing is racism. haven't you learned that by now?!

kimo55
January 27th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I know a lot of my comments may have sat wrong with the vocal minority, but trust me it comes from a combination of my sarcastic writing style and my amazement of the whole experience, not bigotry, hatred, or...communism? Someone called me a communist?
...when islanders go to the mainland and encounter haole's racist, communistic sarcasm, here's their reaction:

http://www.myspace.com/hawaiicircle
http://www.myspace.com/boto_x

LikaNui
January 27th, 2006, 08:47 AM
I also think it's amazing that a lot of people take racial traits as racism.
No worries, Carl. Almost every single comedian here in Hawai`i uses lots of "racial" material and everyone is in on the joke and enjoys it. Ditto for a lot of our music.
Glad to see you're still here and participating...

EnjoyDaRideTRD
January 27th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I no longer want to put my thoughts into this thread, I did and I feel like I did something wrong, so I'll just Shut my mouth and agree that most Japanesse are short, loves to take pictures and amongst other put downs. Don't go into talking bad about my race cause that will cause me to get banned from this Forum. I got a lot of rant from my posts so I'm gonna avoid commenting on this thread. I do hope that you enjoyed your trip to Oahu, I was there when u were, and I stayed over at the secret place you stayed most likely. It was Bellows Air Foce base, nearby Waimanalo, yes civilians cannot access the cabin areas but they can access the beach area on the weekend. I do represent the military on this forum also. Yes most military folks who gets stationed on Oahu calls it a rock and can't wait till they leave. There's more to Hawaii than the tourist attractions.

CranBeree
January 27th, 2006, 10:48 PM
...when islanders go to the mainland and encounter haole's racist, communistic sarcasm, here's their reaction:

http://www.myspace.com/hawaiicircle
http://www.myspace.com/boto_x

how come the keikis sticking middle finga? :rolleyes:

cezanne
January 28th, 2006, 07:43 AM
I agree completely with Maddie and Leo. There was absolutely no call for the vicious and mean-spirited responses to Carl, to whom I would say that the attacks he saw here were the opinions of just two people and absolutely do not represent the feelings and attitude of most of the rest of 2,000+ members of HawaiiThreads.
I'm very disappointed in the way this has developed...
:(

Me too. The aloha spirit thrives in HT don't it?! Glad you had a great time Carl.

kimo55
January 28th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Cezanne, you alter a persons meaning, intent and inflection and basically, their message when you add your own bold or italic to their post.

also, the aloha spirit only goes so far. When someone comes over here and disses us, you better be ready to see people defend their home, people and culture.
That is one of the things I like about these islands. it does NOT resemble the east coast, and hopefully, that mentality will stay there. No matter how much they continue to add insult to injury by further judging us and saying we are reacting wrong.

cezanne
January 28th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Cezanne, you alter a persons meaning, intent and inflection and basically, their message when you add your own bold or italic to their post.

Done.

also, the aloha spirit only goes so far. When someone comes over here and disses us, you better be ready to see people defend their home, people and culture.
That is one of the things I like about these islands. it does NOT resemble the east coast, and hopefully, that mentality will stay there. No matter how much they continue to add insult to injury by further judging us and saying we are reacting wrong.
I just got excerpts from what was copied and pasted because the link doesn't work for me. Seems that some peeps were kinda over-reacting... I don't think he meant any harm... from the "juicy" tidbits that were c and p'd anyway.

cezanne
January 28th, 2006, 10:16 AM
how come the keikis sticking middle finga? :rolleyes:

I think that's the point Kimo's trying to get across.

1stwahine
January 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Done.

I just got excerpts from what was copied and pasted because the link doesn't work for me. Seems that some peeps were kinda over-reacting... I don't think he meant any harm... from the "juicy" tidbits that were c and p'd anyway.

Cezanne, The reason I got pee'd is my Love for Chinatown. I didn't over-react. I reacted because I was born and raised in the area. Nuff said.

Auntie Lynn

cezanne
January 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Cezanne, The reason I got pee'd is my Love for Chinatown. I didn't over-react. I reacted because I was born and raised in the area. Nuff said.

Auntie Lynn

K Auntie... no leek me!

1stwahine
January 28th, 2006, 10:29 AM
K Auntie... no leek me!

...no can leek you! you wen help me with my car! it's all good. i just wanted to clarify why i wuz pee'd. :p

<group hug> ;)
Auntie Lynn

kimo55
January 28th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I don't think he meant any harm...
No one but that mainlander is in any position to know what was going on inside his mind. All I know was what I saw and read. And it wasn't a pretty sight.

CranBeree
January 28th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I think that's the point Kimo's trying to get across.

oh doh...that totally flew over my head! :o

AbsolutChaos
January 29th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Sigh…ok, after all the broo-ha-ha surrounding this guy’s blog or whatever it is, I had to see for myself what the deal was. I didn’t find it offensive or insulting. His type of humor is very familiar to people of my generation (gen Y if you will), not just gen Xers. I enjoyed his sarcastic style. Carlhuber’s sarcastic humor didn’t strike me as trying to insult Hawaii at all—I suspect you’d find him making similar comments, whether he was in California or in New Jersey. Furthermore, the sarcasm throughout Carlhuber’s descriptions reminds me a lot of certain members’ uses of sarcasm on HT. I can certainly recall times when members of HT used sarcasm, only to have it mistakenly taken literally or as a personal insult by other HT members. Sound familiar to some of you maybe? ;)

As to all this stereotype business…if he had written that he had come across a bunch of Indians talking about how reluctant they were to leave their 7-11s/motels unattended while they were visiting Hawaii, I wouldn’t have been offended, and I AM Indian. All it would indicate to me was that he didn't know a lot of Indian people or know much about them. If he had said something about how Indian people are turban-wearing terrorists, then I would have gotten upset. Carlhuber didn’t appear to be dissin’ anything if you read his WHOLE travelogue and don’t selectively single out sentences. If anything, I thought he was just milking the stereotype for humor the way comedians here in Hawaii attempt to do the same with varying degrees of success. The way everybody was criticizing Carlhuber on HT, I was expecting his travel adventure to contain horrific pro-neoNazi skinhead or pro-KKK statements or talk about how all “Hawaiians” were fat, stupid, and lazy or something like that all throughout!. Geesh. He spent equal energy making fun of tourists, it seemed to me.

While he had the typical superficial first-time HI visitor’s experience, Carlhuber made his experiences amusing to read. He recognized the crass commercialism rampant in many of his tourist experiences. At least he recognized the commercialism and didn’t think his experience was the “real Hawaii.” I always tell all my first-time visiting friends that they need to return to Hawaii now that they’ve gotten all the “touristy things” out of the way on their first visit—with their second visit I can get a chance to show them more of the “real” Hawaii and not the tourist version.

Carlhuber didn’t paint a very positive picture of Chinatown, but he admitted TWICE that he only visited the edge of Chinatown. Of course there is more to Chinatown than pig heads and Indigo. But if you don’t live here and don’t have a Hawaii insider with you to reveal to you that these “creepy dark” shops that l"ook like they’ve seen better times" actually harbor lovely, interesting treasures and lovely, interesting people, wouldn’t you, as the AVERAGE American tourist, be less inclined to stop inside or venture further? If you’re afraid to get lost on a maze of streets, wouldn’t you be less inclined, as the AVERAGE American tourist without an insider guide, to explore the depths of Chinatown? Wouldn’t you probably stick to the “safer” places like Indigo on the EDGE of Chinatown as this guy and his family did?

I think we can all admit that the Chinatown area, especially after night falls, can seem (and can be) a more dangerous place, especially if you don’t know what you are doing and are a stranger to the area—“creepy and dark,” is perhaps how Chinatown will appear to be, if you will, at that point. Any new place can seem a bit intimidating/scary if it’s a new experience. Meanwhile, daytime is harsh—for instance, in the light of day you can see all the lines and wrinkles on a woman’s face, no matter how much makeup she may use, whereas nighttime and darkness can conceal such things. Dim lighting can make people look a lot more attractive a lot of the time. (Stay with me here…I do have a point!) The same applies to Chinatown. In the full light of day you can see all the age, all the disrepair on the outsides of the buildings. To me this indicates character and the uniqueness of Chinatown, especially when compared to the modernized, soul-less buildings sucking up all the beauty that used to be Waikiki. At the same time, I can also understand how people on the Mainland, who are surrounded by modernized, soul-less, new buildings A LOT of the time, can view Honolulu’s Chinatown as run-down and ramshackle in comparison. It’s a matter of what you are used to seeing and how much travel you’ve done in your life and how much you are used to appreciating other cultures. All his description of Chinatown indicated to me was that he probably isn’t as well-travelled or as exposed to other cultures as he could be. (Sorry, Carlhuber, perhaps you are well-travelled, but I honestly can’t tell that from your travel descriptions in this case.)

Ya know what else? The first time I visited Chinatown here (having never been to any Chinatowns before in my life), the thing I remembered most was ALSO the pig heads. Ya know why? Because on the Mainland, despite growing up surrounded by cows (and some pigs), MOST of us Midwesterners/Southerners (and other part of the US too, I bet!) see meat in two forms—either completely alive, grazing in a field or in a zoo, OR in a sanitary, unrecognizable little beheaded package in some supermarket/restaurant, which in no way reminds you that yes, this piece of meat was once part of a living, breathing animal. The head is quite an identifying feature, and when you usually only see your meat on a plate in a little square form or between two pieces of bread, it IS a bit disconcerting to be reminded that the meat once had a head and eyes and other such parts that make it an animal and no longer “just” a piece of meat to us. To see a bunch of pig heads then becomes something that lingers in the brain. Chinatown is one of the few places where one can see such things in America anymore, and it can be a shock to the system for the uninitiated and unwary. He didn’t say that pig heads were bad—it appeared to me that he found it interesting and amusing and different in his sarcastic way.

Someone asked why he didn’t talk about visiting the “out of the way” places and only talked about the typical touristy stuff. “Out of the way” is a relative term when applied to places. People here in town consider other parts of the island sometimes to be “out of the way” and vice versa Hawaii residents sometimes consider the Mainland to be “out of the way” and vice versa. In general, though, "out of the way" is often used to describe scenic, unspoiled, quiet, places. A city person, while politely appreciating an “out of the way” place for five minutes, might prefer to go back to the city. “Out of the way” just isn’t the city person’s cup of tea sometimes. As such, if it isn’t his or her thing, then it makes sense that the person chooses to spend more time describing the city in his/her blog and might describe “out of the way” places rather naively, if at all, no? To each their own.

Okay, speaking of naïve, now we come to the “ignorant surfers” comment. Carlhuber, dude, that was just plain bad writing. Ignorant was the wrong choice of words. I think perhaps you would have been better off using “innocent” or “easygoing” or “relaxed” or something. I know what you MEANT, but what you actually WROTE came out wrong and insulting. I’d re-write that part if I were you. I’m not sure seals can be described as “ignorant” anyway… it’s actually kinda funny when you think about it. Obviously you aren’t a surfer yourself, or your description of surfers on the North Shore would have been very different. :p

kimo55
January 29th, 2006, 09:36 AM
wow. Absolut.
I NEED to know your brand of coffee!

kimo55
January 29th, 2006, 09:44 AM
“Out of the way” is a relative term when applied to places.

uhh, ok, I will bite.

what ELSE is the term “Out of the way” applied to, beSIDES "places"?

Okay, speaking of naïve, now we come to the “ignorant surfers” comment. Carlhuber, dude, that was just plain bad writing.
what you actually WROTE came out wrong and insulting.
Obviously you aren’t a surfer yourself, or your description of surfers on the North Shore would have been very different.

AAAaaannnnd, my point is proven. and reiterated.

kimo55
January 29th, 2006, 08:20 PM
eh. aunty.
speaking of chinatown. try spok da kine:

http://tikitv.com/show.html

http://tikitv.com/showch.html

need fast connection, and latest quicktime free video player software for windoze or mac ...

timkona
January 29th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Most of what was considered "offensive" can be found in Frank De Lima's comedy show. But Frank is from the islands, and the author is not. Double standard certainly applies here. Many residents in the islands relish and embrace the thin-skinned sensitivity training that is fostered by the notion of political correctness.

This is but a mere symptom of the xenophobia that festers in these islands like a dripping wound that is turning to gangreen. Xenophobia is a big part of the demise of the USSR in the 80's. History tells us that most cultures that practiced any level of xenophobia are now extinct.

Extinction of culture is a paramount issue around these parts. I know that Hawaiians study history. They should be very critical of the xenophobics within their ranks who are unwittingly trying to kill off island culture.

But I'm probably "preachin' in the cemetary", and it saddens me.

1stwahine
January 29th, 2006, 10:27 PM
eh. aunty.
speaking of chinatown. try spok da kine:

http://tikitv.com/show.html

http://tikitv.com/showch.html

need fast connection, and latest quicktime free video player software for windoze or mac ...

Kimo, The first one ~ I tried twice. I saw the Aloha Tower and heard the squaking of the birds. Then it got stuck. :eek:

The second one ~ fabulous footage! Mahalo!!! :D

Auntie Lynn

kimo55
January 29th, 2006, 11:08 PM
But I'm probably "preachin' in the cemetary", and it saddens me.
this sound like a liar, i mean a lawyer speakin, and it saddens me.

kimo55
January 29th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Kimo, The first one ~ I tried twice. I saw the Aloha Tower and heard the squaking of the birds. Then it got stuck. :eek:

The second one ~ fabulous footage! Mahalo!!! :D

Auntie Lynn
they are big kine files. give it a while. try much later.
Rome wasn't burned in a day.

1stwahine
January 29th, 2006, 11:11 PM
they are big kine files. give it a while. try later. days later.
Rome wasn't burned in a day.

...how long was it burned? I bet longer than our Chinatown! Joke! :eek:

Auntie Lynn :p

kimo55
January 29th, 2006, 11:15 PM
da firss one is a one and a half minute file, at 5+ megabytes.

da second one is a 55 meg file. Only 7 megs loaded, then compuker cwashed.
It runs for many minutes. don't know how long yet... And i gotta resend it. soooo... gimme couple days, eh?!

1stwahine
January 29th, 2006, 11:21 PM
da firss one is a one and a half minute file, at 5+ megabytes.

da second one is a 55 meg file. It goes for many minutes. don't know how long yet... And i gotta resend it.

I got the second one fine.

The first one was the one I had difficult time with.
(could only hear the birds squaking ~ den all of a sudden come on like one broken record.) Had to close the widow and open up another window.

Das ok. I'll try agian laterz.

Lynn

kimo55
January 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM
you saw the second one? only a few seconds of dat I steh wen goin' wen go steh put up li' dat.
da first one, try again. should run all troo Honolulu minute and a half. all chinatown and li' dat.
bumbai you try fo tell me what kine dat. wheah da kine. k den.

sinjin
January 30th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Extinction of culture is a paramount issue around these parts. I know that Hawaiians study history. They should be very critical of the xenophobics within their ranks who are unwittingly trying to kill off island culture.

you're kiddin', right? :confused:

Miulang
January 30th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Most of what was considered "offensive" can be found in Frank De Lima's comedy show. But Frank is from the islands, and the author is not. Double standard certainly applies here. Many residents in the islands relish and embrace the thin-skinned sensitivity training that is fostered by the notion of political correctness.

I don't think xenophobia is ubiquitous to Hawai'i. All over the place, people call each other names. One thing I've noticed is it appears to be "OK" to call someone of the same race as you a derogatory name, but it's not OK for someone of another race to use the same exact derogatory term when talking to or about that other person. In one case, the derogatory name is symbolic of identification with other person; in the other, a symbol of racism. So what's up with that anyway? :confused:

Miulang

1stwahine
January 30th, 2006, 06:18 AM
My son-inlaw arrived a few days ago. Tall, handsome, and yes ~ Haole to the max. We've taken him to several places and he has embraced our islands and our culture with open arms. He eats what we eat without question. He joins in whatever we're doing. He asks whenever in doubt. He laughs at our jokes about his looks and he jokes about ours. He's blended well.

...He takes a walk by himself. Everybody panicks. I live MWH. A posse is started. My three soldiers is ready for Full Combat. Me, I'm ready for a Full Out World War III.

Buggah comes walking back smiling and saying how fabulous and how green Hawai'i is compared to Arizona! The people are friendly too!!! We all look at him and start laughing. MWH has just accepted Auntie pUpUle's son-inlaw!

Have a great week everybody! :D

Auntie Lynn

Leo Lakio
January 30th, 2006, 07:26 AM
My son-inlaw arrived a few days ago. Tall, handsome, and yes ~ Haole to the max. We've taken him to several places and he has embraced our islands and our culture with open arms. He eats what we eat without question. He joins in whatever we're doing. He asks whenever in doubt. He laughs at our jokes about his looks and he jokes about ours. He's blended well.
And there's the key to blending well --- sounds like he is open-minded about unfamiliar foods, settings and people, and has a sense of humor about who he is, who you are, and is secure in knowing that the differences don't automatically lead to conflict.
I'll bet he also doesn't tell you that you do such-and-such "the wrong way" in Hawai`i - I think that's at the heart of kimo55's points: it's okay to notice the differences, just don't judge them "wrong" by your own limited standards.