Hawaii Walk of Fame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Walk of Fame?

Famous/infamous bad boy 80's metal band Motley Crue just received the 2,301st Star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame.

This had me thinking of the possibility for Hawaii to have our own "Walk of Fame" of local celebrities and entertainers.

Of course the sidewalks of Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki would be the first place most would point to having it. Other locations worth considering could be the shoreline "boardwalk" of the soon-to-be redeveloped Kaka`ako waterfront. Also downtown. An important factor worth further discussion.

Perhaps instead of a star, embed the shape of a Hibiscus (the state flower) or a poi pounder (cultural) as the symbol. Many other possible symbols also worth further discussion.

We have many local celebrities, both past and present who would (likely) immediately receive Honors to Hawaii's own "Walk of Fame". Here's just a few of the many...
    • Genoa Keawe
    • Don Ho
    • Frank DeLima
    • Jake Shimabukuro
    • Israel Kamakawiwo`ole
    • Loyal Garner
    • Gabby Pahinui
    • Rap Replinger

... and the list goes on and on.

This could quite possibly be one of the cheapest (initially and outright) new tourist attractions to add to our state. It would also be a wonderful way to pay tribute and honor our own celebrities and those who have made Hawaii famous.

Waddaya' think?!

"Walk of Aloha" prototype
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Hawaii Walk of Fame?

I think it's a great idea! A great attraction and low cost too. You know how people put out their own (for family) memorials at various locations. Just another suggestion of placing the "Hibiscus" stars all around the State?
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Great Idea, Why not? I like your design, really classy island style.
      ONLY IN HAWAII!!!! CAN!!!!!
      OGGBOY
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

You know about these folks, yeah?
        http://www.hawaiimusicmuseum.org/
        Maybe you should talk with them about making it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          Famous/infamous bad boy 80's metal band Motley Crue just received the 2,301st Star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame.
          For the record (no pun intended), almost anyone can get one of those simply by breaking out the ol' checkbook. Stars on that Walk Of Fame aren't given, they're purchased.

This had me thinking of the possibility for Hawaii to have our own "Walk of Fame" of local celebrities and entertainers. Of course the sidewalks of Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki would be the first place most would point to having it. Other locations worth considering could be the shoreline "boardwalk" of the soon-to-be redeveloped Kaka`ako waterfront. Also downtown. An important factor worth further discussion.
          Indeed. I love your idea!!! <applause> And I really like your proposed design, too. Strongly suggest you follow up with the folks Leo mentioned.
          Doing it on Kalakaua would perhaps not work so well, since there's so darned much foot traffic and crowds that nobody could stop to look down at the plaques. Kaka`ako waterfront would be good. Maybe Aloha Tower, or at the airport or the State Capitol building?
          Excellent excellent idea, Pomai.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Waddaya' think?!
            Sounds like a great idea, Pomai. However, I couldn't help wondering about the minor details. Such as, how far back retroactively would you go for inductee name selection, and on what qualifications or criteria (entertainment, historical, cultural, philanthropical, etc.) would those selections be based on so as to be able to say that that nominee was selected because, or that nominee was not selected because..., etc. An unbiased, voluntary "Hawai'i Walk of Fame" committee or board would probably be needed to ensure fairness and professionalism, and to also ensure that there would be enough physical sidewalk to go around, because like you said, the list goes on and on! I sure hope your idea takes off, dude!

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
              An unbiased, voluntary "Hawai'i Walk of Fame" committee or board would probably be needed to ensure fairness and professionalism
              Lurkah, my boondocks buddy - check out the link I provided; such a group exists. And I bet (okay, I hope) they would dig having someone like Pomai get involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

Lurkah, my boondocks buddy - check out the link I provided; such a group exists.
                But uncle, I did, I did check out that link and immediately noticed that it was a link devoted to Hawaiian music per se, whereas the criteria for possible inductees would include a gamut of other fields of accomplishment not necessarily related to Hawaiian music.

Comment

I think this is a neat idea. I would certainly hope the overarching community group would span beyond simply music, but also include education, science, and yes, even politics.

I'm not sure it'd make sense to go as far as honoring King Kamehameha (I'd imagine the tone to be a little "light," a la the Hollywood model, and one certainly wouldn't want to sully a reputation with a "hibiscus" star), but to see memorable entertainers alongside influential historic community leaders and innovators would make a neat attraction -- for both visitors and locals who could get a local history lesson along with their $4 hot dog and T-shirt.

"Markers" around the island are an interesting idea, but we have a lot of those already (from historical signs to surfboards to peace poles), and it wouldn't allow a coherent, concentrated experience or narrative. A nice sidewalk with flowers instead of stars sounds great to me.

In addition to who, though, where would such a Hawaii Walk of Fame go? Kalakaua Avenue? Capitol District?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                    But uncle, I did, I did check out that link and immediately noticed that it was a link devoted to Hawaiian music per se, whereas the criteria for possible inductees would include a gamut of other fields of accomplishment not necessarily related to Hawaiian music.
                    Oh, good point --- we need other cultural icons represented, too - not just music. Kalamai; I get so wrapped up in that little corner of the arts.

Comment

Good idea ....Music.....Film.....Authors....Athletes

Keanu Reeves could get one!
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Glad to see all the favorable responses to this rather "pie in the sky" idea.. mahalo! I just shot an email to the folks at Hawaii Music Meseum, as Leo Lakio suggested.

As for location, I agree about Waikiki being too congested with foot traffic. I also agree about the scattered markers.. not a good idea. It should be located along one street or area only. Just like Hollywood Blvd. Not all over the island. The Capitol District sounds good. I still say somewhere along the redeveloped Kaka`ako waterfront area would be best; include it in the master plan.

According to this site, Hollywood's Walk of Fame includes movie actors, radio, TV, & stage performers, directors, singers, songwriters, and other well-known show-biz personalities.

But we're Hawaii, so let's be unique and do our own thing! Politicians, athletes, scholars.... anyone who has made a positive impact on the Aloha State is deserving of their own Hibiscus!

On that note, these folks could also be considered for a Hibiscus...
                        • Jack Lord (TV)
                        • Ellison Onizuka (Science)
                        • Bob Sevey (TV)
                        • Duke Kahanamoku (yeah, he already has a statue, but why not?) (Sports)
                        • Hal Lewis, a.k.a. J. Akuhead Pupule (Radio)
                        • Perry & Price (Radio)
                        • Daniel Inouye (Politics)
                        • Jesse "Takamiyama" Kahaulua (Sports)
                        • Jack DeMello (Songwriter)
                        • Michelle Wie (Sports

...and the list goes on and on.

Imagine how many tourists would look for their favorite Hawaii Star.. er.. Hibiscus, and take a photo as a souvenir. They would then eMail that picture to friends far away, which would then spark a new reason for more tourists to visit Hawaii.

Last edited by Pomai; January 26, 2006, 02:35 PM. Reason: Added comments
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

This had me thinking of the possibility for Hawaii to have our own "Walk of Fame" of local celebrities and entertainers.

They had this idea, can't remember what company. That's why the
                          DFS has the sign on top that says Waikiki Walk.

Comment

One of my concerns is vandalism and - to the extreme - theft. Not surprising, Hollywood is no stranger to this. See "Stolen Stars"...

http://www.answers.com/topic/hollywood-walk-of-fame

Of course, all the important facts are also covered there.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Glad to see all the favorable responses to this rather "pie in the sky" idea.. mahalo! I just shot an email to the folks at Hawaii Music Meseum, as Leo Lakio suggested.

As for location, I agree about Waikiki being too congested with foot traffic. I also agree about the scattered markers.. not a good idea. It should be located along one street or area only. Just like Hollywood Blvd. Not all over the island. The Capitol District sounds good. I still say somewhere along the redeveloped Kaka`ako waterfront area would be best; include it in the master plan.

According to this site, Hollywood's Walk of Fame includes movie actors, radio, TV, & stage performers, directors, singers, songwriters, and other well-known show-biz personalities.

But we're Hawaii, so let's be unique and do our own thing! Politicians, athletes, scholars.... anyone who has made a positive impact on the Aloha State is deserving of their own Hibiscus!

On that note, these folks could also be considered for a Hibiscus...
                              • Jack Lord (TV)
                              • Ellison Onizuka (Science)
                              • Bob Sevey (TV)
                              • Duke Kahanamoku (yeah, he already has a statue, but why not?) (Sports)
                              • Hal Lewis, a.k.a. J. Akuhead Pupule (Radio)
                              • Perry & Price (Radio)
                              • Daniel Inouye (Politics)
                              • Jesse "Takamiyama" Kahaulua (Sports)
                              • Jack DeMello (Songwriter)
                              • Michelle Wie (Sports

...and the list goes on and on.

Imagine how many tourists would look for their favorite Hawaii Star.. er.. Hibiscus, and take a photo as a souvenir. They would then eMail that picture to friends far away, which would then spark a new reason for more tourists to visit Hawaii.

Please keep the Politicians out of the walk....who the hell wants to remember them? Although, a politician's marker might be a good thing in a doggie park!
                              Last edited by alohabear; January 27, 2006, 04:52 AM.
                              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X