The Hawai'i State Constitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hawai'i State Constitution

After reading a little book called "Man, Gods, and Nature" by Michael Kioni Dudley, it finally became clear to me why 1978 was such a watershed year for the residents of the State of Hawai'i.

Up until that time, the Preamble to the Hawaiian Constitution did not include the Hawai'i state motto: "Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono". When I was in school, I was taught that the English translation of that was "the life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness." Turns out that the words really mean something more like "the life force of the land continues because the ali'i is restored to power and continues his relationship with nature." Who woulda thunk it really meant that (although I never could figure out what "the life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness" meant in the first place).

Now I know why Bruddah Iz chose to record the song "Hawai'i '78", which became one of his most famous hits (Everytime I hear Iz sing that, I get chicken skin). If you are a resident of Hawai'i or want to know about modern Hawaiian government, please take a look at the 1978 Hawaii State Constitution. It really is quite interesting. That Hawaii State Constitutional Convention brought to power many people who later became key figures in Hawai'i government. That State Constitutional Convention also established the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA). Man is still at odds with nature and the life force in Hawai'i. The ali'i is still not recognized.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; January 26, 2006, 07:35 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain
Working...
X