Maui has its own problems with 'iwi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maui has its own problems with 'iwi

Remember the human skull that was stolen from the burial site where Whaler's Village in Kaanapali now stands? It was offered on eBay for $12,000 until some kanaka maoli complained.

The guy who was trying to sell it was arrested and as part of his restitution, he has to pay all the expenses for reburial of the skull. The plans to do this were proceeding along until the new owners of Whaler's Village decided that they couldn't afford to give the burial site a 10x10 foot buffer. In the meantime, another person who claims he can trace his lineage to the skull has popped up, further mucking up the issue.

I hope the stalemate can be resolved more easily than the ones that have emerged with the unearthing of 'iwi at the WM Keeaumoku site and the Bishop Museum pilikia.

Miulang

P.S. Then earlier this month, they unearthed another skeleton which appeared to be buried in a coffin who was wearing a lei of glass beads and was found near Kahului Harbor. They believe the burial is old, but haven't yet been able to determine when the coffin might have been buried there.
    Last edited by Miulang; January 27, 2006, 01:19 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Maui has its own problems with 'iwi

LET`S NOT FORGET HONOKAHUA!!!!
    Eh Sista Muilang, I remember back hana-budda days, Used to have plantation houses we`re the found the coffin with the lady`s remains. I don`t know if had one camp name or what!!! OGGBOY.....
    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
    X