Best preschools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best preschools

I'm looking into preschools for my daughter. Any suggestions on best and worst? I'm looking in Honolulu, preferably close to downtown.

Re: Best preschools

The Early School on Bingham street. Expensive but you wanted the best. It is known as the Punahou of preschools. (Lots of business and government leaders send their children there)
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

don't forget the preschool at central union church. it's also considered a feeder school to punahou.

i don't want to discourage you but a waiting list of about 1.5 years is typical for both schools. in other words, when your daughter's about 6 months old, it wouldn't be too soon to submit your application. opps. gatta correct myself: that applies to the early school and to the preschool near uh for students and faculty/staff. the preschool at central union doesn't accept applications that early. the details for c.u.c. can be found at this link:

http://www.centralunionpreschool.org...ons/index.html

good luck
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

i vote for Kawaihao School or any It's a montessori based school. i really loved the teaching method. My daughter learned so much and when she was tested for Punahou, Iolani and Hawaii Baptist Academy she was able to place in the top 10 percentile (for all schools) and she was in the above average category (whatever that means - thats what i was told by the placement person).

now she's just the typical teen *sigh* tallking on the phones, the constant imm sooo booored, mom mom can i get on the computer, but mommmm i don't want to do my homework....:P other than that shs a good kid. *knocks on wood*

the formative years are 0-5 and this is where they pick up their study habits, their understanding of the world and learning lessons in general and if you can encourage that then it really doesn't matter what preschool your keiki goes to.

Comment

Montessori is an excellent teaching method but only for certain children. It is a highly structured learning environment where everything is either lockstepped or procedural in nature. Is that bad? Not really. If your child exhibits a higher level of learning at an age considered too young they are perfect candidates for Montessori, that's why it's a major feeder school for Punahou. But there are other ways of teaching for other children who do not exhibit that level of cognative ability.

The Early School has an infant & toddler program called YCP and will take children as early at 18-months. This program has been found to get the child ready for the preschool program (something even the DOE hasn't discovered yet). At the Early School there are three graduated programs in which your child ascends thru until ready for kindergarden. YCP is the first followed by the Back room then the Front room. By the time your child has completed the Front room he/she is capable of entering kindergarden with no academic or social issues to contend with. The teachers there are highly motivated and the attrition rate is almost zero with many of the founding teachers still there.

All of my children (with the exception of two) have gone thru the Early School. Three have been admitted into Kamehameha Schools, one has been given the nod for 6th grade (next year), two have graduated with a 3.5 and a 4.2 (yes he took ATP courses in his senior year).

Their academic achievements can be coupled to a healthy start in their ECE or Early Childhood Education thru the Early School. With my wife's masters degree in the field of ECE plus my participation in all of my children's schools activities from board member to fundraising chair this is proof positive that a child can be successful with a solid educational foundation and parent support.

Not to buck Central Union's preschool but it is a protestant school (just like Kamehameha) that is under the watchful eye of the very large United Church of Christ so there may be some Christian influence at that school. That may not be an issue to me or any other Protestant Christian out there, but if you don't want ANY faith-based curicullum influencing your child then you may want to consider the Early School. BTW Kamehamaha isn't part of UCC.

And yes the formative years are from birth to age 5 but structured learning begins at age 8 or third grade. So if your child is still lacking in one area of brain development don't lose hope yet. It takes an entire 8 years for the brain to fully connect itself and become fully developed, that's why an emerging childhood curicullum is so important (something the DOE is finally recognizing as vital to academic achievement in elementary children) where academic skills like reading, writing and math are not as important in the learning curve in children from birth to 3rd grade.

If your child is not physically coordinated as a kindergardener or as a second grader, chances are his/her brain hasn't developed the acute motor skills needed to keep up with his/her peers. But be observant because your child probably exhibits a higher ability to do other things such as drawing, or has a higher level of organizational skill. But by age 8 or by the third grade, the human brain should be able to connect all the dots and be a well rounded child capable of handling all academic and physical activity any school can throw at them.

With all that said, preschools help give the child a jumpstart by massaging those brain cells and encouraging proper brain cell development thru neural connection. Everytime a child between the age of birth to 5 learns something, a pathway is connected from neuron to neuron. As more pathways connect, a network of brain cells work intuitively to make the brain as a whole more powerful in it's ability to think. In other words cognative ability becomes better with each connection.

After age 5 this process isn's so automatic and the brain has to force itself to "learn". This important part of the brain's development (0-5) is called the use it or lose it time and unfortunately most kids lose it because this is also the age in which most kids don't have the opportunity to attend any preschool. Brain stimulation is highly critical during this period and if parents cannot do it (because they leave the child with another caregiver who has no vested interest in that child except money for watching them) then preschools can and they do it very well.
          Last edited by craigwatanabe; January 28, 2006, 12:55 PM.

Comment

My grandson just made one years old. I've taken care of him from birth when his parents go to work. However, I can only do so much.

What is the cost to send a child to pre-school today?

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
              My grandson just made one years old. I've taken care of him from birth when his parents go to work. However, I can only do so much.

What is the cost to send a child to pre-school today?

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
              Aunty, it's very costly however there are programs out there to assist you financially.

What can you do in the meantime? Stimulate that child's mind. Read to him even though he cannot understand the words. When you see a truck, point to it and say, "Truck...Truck". Simple things like patterns in a quilt are effective tools in helping your grandchild "connect the dots" in his ability to recognize patterns.

Take out a group of things and place them next to each other and count as you do it. This way your grandchild's brain develops it's ability for sequencing and rhythm. Simple exercises like these stimulate brain development.

Think of your grandson's brain as a sponge. Right now it's soaking up everything he sees, hears, smells, tastes, feels. But at age 5 the soaking stops and if the brain hasn't developed a way to learn, the process slows and pretty soon that sponge cannot absorb any more information and the learning stops.

I normally don't recommend TV as a learning tool but there are many DVD's and shows out there designed to encourage brain development in infants. These graphical programs are designed to make the brain think intuitively by presenting the child with a pattern that is constructed and taken apart. The child watches and learns these patterns and develops a sense of order.

As stupid as it sounds, The Wiggles on the Disney channel exemplifies this learning tool as well as well as shows like Little Einsteins and Dora The Explorer.

If you don't have access to these mediums, then turn on the radio and tune into some classical music. The nuances in these musical scores were designed to play on the mind's ability to follow patterns and recognize subtle changes in pitch. Have you ever noticed your mood become a bit more meloncholy when presented with a music score in a flat? If you get a chance listen to Adagio in D minor. You can't help but feel sad.

When my 10-year old was just an infant, I used to take him outside for long walks holding him close to my chest as I walked down the road trying to settle him down. He would hear me humming and I would intentionally change pitch. Now as a 10-year old, he is one his school's best singers in the choir. It's no surprize that both he and I can tune instruments by ear with as much precision as any electronic tuner with ease.

If you can't sing, don't have a DVD or TV set, or a radio, then simply reading is enough. If you don't have access to children's books, then pick up a newspaper and read that. But do it with your grandchild. What you do they will copy so keep the bad habits away.
              Last edited by craigwatanabe; January 28, 2006, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Craig, you are such a darling. I raised three fine adults. I think I did well. With Antonio, I'm doing the same. I stimulate his brain every chance I get. I talk, sing and show him colors, numbers, everything in this world, I can explain to his little mind. He picks up fast. My hale looks like a pre-school! I have so much educational toys and books for my little student. He is eager to learn and absorbs every bit of information Grams gives to him.

Everyday is a Lesson for both of us. As far as the cost is concern in sending my grandson to a an excellent preschool? His parents and I could combine our resources together. I believe in sending a child to preschool. Both my daughters were able to go. Unfortunately, my son didn't. It showed. However, because he had parents like my husband and myself he too excelled in Life.

Yes, a child needs nurturing, A child needs guidance, LOVE, understanding and a foundation. A child needs the best education that his family can give him/her. Most of all, a child needs a family that will be there not only to pay the tuition but to BE THERE through out his/her lifetime!!

Auntie Lynn
                Last edited by 1stwahine; January 28, 2006, 03:08 PM.

Comment

My wife says that you can invest in your child now or pay for them later. Now with a good start in education or later when you gotta bail them outta jail because they lacked the education that would have kept them out of trouble.

If you can afford it, get on the wait list for the Early School and when you call ask for Francis (the school's administrative director) and tell her that Craig and Brenda Watanabe recommended you to her. She'll have a nice smile, I guarantee it!

BTW, most private schools including preschools have sliding tuitions or waivers if you qualify and that includes Punahou and Iolani...not too many people know that.
                  Last edited by craigwatanabe; January 28, 2006, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    My wife says that you can invest in your child now or pay for them later. Now with a good start in education or later when you gotta bail them outta jail because they lacked the education that would have kept them out of trouble.

If you can afford it, get on the wait list for the Early School and when you call ask for Francis (the school's administrative director) and tell her that Craig and Brenda Watanabe recommended you to her. She'll have a nice smile, I guarantee it!

BTW, most private schools including preschools have sliding tuitions or waivers if you qualify and that includes Punahou and Iolani...not too many people know that.
                    Wow! Mr. and Mrs. Craig Watanabe, Mahalo, Big time!!!!

Lynn Vasquez
                    Antonio's grandma

Comment

craig thanks for that informative post. i do agree with you that the monetsorri method is geared for certain types of kids. comparing my 2 kids, i would think my 2nd child would excel more in the EEC school rather than the montesorri based type school.

i did a lot of "lets experiment & see if it works" type of things with my oldest, such as reading out loud while she was still in utero., then playing classical music - this was supposed to strengthen their mathematical ability or something of that nature. i think that worked as she still excels in math even today. at the age of 5 she was starting to tackle the multiplication table and knew geometric shapes. she was reading and writing by 4. now,as she gets older, she's into the wanna hang out with my friends stage. so at least i can console myself that i gave her a good start . my baby on the other hand could care less although she does love music and can recognize letters. just can't put them together to read..i would love to see how my kids will turn out as adults.

anyway, what do you think of those baby einstein videos?
                      also, do you think firstborns are more prone to excel in all areas such as school,sports, etc?

aunty lyn, when i was sending my oldest to school, preschool was $525.00. that was sooo hard as i was a single parent then and in my early 20's. daycare now is running about $425. and up. Non licensed providers are charing at about 300-400.

Comment

The Baby Einstein videos are great tools for learning. People shrug at the thought of using videos to help promote brain development in children however when chastising the industry as a whole you have to look at how videos are produced. With today's rapid fire sequencing of events that kind of observing conditions the brain to react for short times only. TV from the 60's was very different than the TV viewing we see today with quick shots and flashing displays that confuse the mind.

Baby Einstein videos slow down the visual perspective and allows the brain to soak up the information. It conditions the mind to focus instead of anticipating the next event without understanding the last.

As for first born being able to excel better than their younger siblings? I've never noticed that before in my six boys. All of them have excelled in the sports they played and don't look at each other for inspiration.

The key to an infants ability to learn early on is to be interactive with them. Unfortunately for some parents being interactive means beating them up, and likewise the child learns to adapt in a defensive world. A child is a wonderful being and full of opportunity. You can see the hunger for learning and understanding in their newborn eyes. Give them the world and they will reward you with a lifetime of Kodak memories. Give them a world of beatings and they will only do unto the world what the world has done to them. It's all they know, can you blame them?

As a parent I want my children to have the best I can offer and if I cannot then all I can ask for is for them to utilize the life tools I bestow unto them as they grow and mature. They are my legacy, my treasures, my life. And I'd do anything to give them the best I can offer. My wife and I have sacrificed our careers, worked multiple jobs to give them the world.

As they grow they realize the sacrifice parents must make for the benefit of their children and they take that wisdom into adulthood to be better, less selfish adults. I'm proud of my kids and it all started with a solid nurturing foundation of learning and understanding.

Comment

it really irritates me beyond belief when parents choose to abuse their child not only physically but also verbally. makes me wonder why they had children! also in another post, there was a link that showed photos of their children giving the middle finger and i had to wonder why would a parent teach their child that and then take a picture of it to show it off??? boggles the mind! (well my mind at least).

i fully realize the sacrifices that a parent makes for the benefit of their children now that i am a parent myself. so im hurt when my daughter brushes me off because she wants to hang out with her friends or when i know something is up but when i ask her she says its nothing...*sigh*

anyhow, i recognized the strenghts that each of my daugthers have and i try to encourage them in that department. my oldest is more into books and reading while my younger one is into music. and with each i have bought them tools and instrument to further their learning. i love seeing that "bright light" look when they begin to finally understand how something works!

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                            it really irritates me beyond belief when parents choose to abuse their child not only physically but also verbally. makes me wonder why they had children! also in another post, there was a link that showed photos of their children giving the middle finger and i had to wonder why would a parent teach their child that and then take a picture of it to show it off??? boggles the mind! (well my mind at least).[...]
                            Mine, too. I'm glad I'm not alone in that thinking. Children learn what they live and live what they learn.

Comment

I see children as "investments". As such, I made no sacrifices, imo. Rather, I made continual deposits (time and financial) until the investments matured. My goal was to stay in the black and not get anywhere close to the red! Goal accomplished. And there were some pretty great dividends along the way! Just an analogy, of course, but to me, it was always an investment rather than a sacrifice. And, yes, it was (and is) expensive. That comes with the turf called 'parenthood'!

Comment

Working...
                              X