Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the Defining Musical Artists of Your Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the Defining Musical Artists of Your Time?

Each generation has their crop of music heroes. I basically grew up in the rock n roll generation and relegate certain names as big for certain decades or periods of music. Here are those musical artists and performers that to me define specific decades of music. Most of these are quite obvious.

1950s: Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, perhaps The Platters and Connie Francis. For country music, I'd go with Hank Williams.

1960s: Defintely The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan. I'd also have to lump the 1960s "Motown sound" as a giant group of artists though Diana Ross & the Supremes, The Temptations and perhaps Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye deserve special mention. In country music, there are plenty, but I'll go with Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline.

1970s: Elton John, Fleetwood Mac (after Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham joined the group, though I also like the Bob Welch era), The Eagles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney & Wings. There are plenty of others too... disco artists: Bee Gees, Donna Summer.

1980s: I think this is when music genres started to fragment and no single artist or group specifically came into huge prominence with the exception of maybe Madonna and U2. Funny thing is that The Rolling Stones were still going strong. Rap music started to make major headway and became a force to reckon with by decade's end. My personal favorite from that decade was 10,000 Maniacs, though I would not consider them a major force in music.

1990s: I dunno, I listened to all kinds of artists and music that decade and still listen to several of them today. U2 still around; Metallica came into prominence even though they been around since 1983 or so; The Rolling Stones still made records and I finally saw them at Aloha Stadium in 1998. Rap music huge, country music made a strong comeback amid a lot of change (skew towards rock I guess).

2000s: I may be getting old to really connect with artists of today, but certainly rap music is huge, country is quite different from what it was in the 50s and 60s, rock is clinging on, alternative became mainstream and The Rolling Stones, Madonna and U2 are still cranking out records and putting on shows.

I know I skipped over a ton of other artists and musicians but I think this is where you can fill in the blanks and name those artists that you like from each respective decade or era of your life.

Perhaps a similar but separate thread should be started for local and Hawaiian music.
    I'm still here. Are you?
Working...
X