Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighborhoods

Aloha, this is my first post. Thank's for having me

I am moving to Oahu in June. I have never been to HI before. I imagine this question has been answered in other posts but I looked around a bit and now my head is spinning. So, here it goes:

I am concerned about being a caucasian and making sure I live in a neighborhood that will be mostly accepting of me and my wife. I also am not rich but want to own a townhouse or house (~500k) with a yard.

Can anyone provide some insight about this?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: Neighborhoods

Did you see this thread?

Hawaii Neighborhoods article

Comment

Originally posted by jonredraider
      [...]I am concerned about being a caucasian and making sure I live in a neighborhood that will be mostly accepting of me and my wife. I also am not rich but want to own a townhouse or house (~500k) with a yard.

Thanks,

Jonathan
      Aloha Jonathan...As long as you and your wife are accepting then you shouldn't have much of a problem in Hawaii. Think of Hawaii as the 'land of instant karma'!!!

Real Estate prices are at record highs right now. Is there any way you can rent for awhile, determine the neighborhood (and commute) that works for you, then buy when real estate stabilizes a bit? Just a thought. Oh, unfortunately rentals are currently at record highs, too.

Regardless...welcome to Hawaii and HT.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
        Aloha Jonathan...As long as you and your wife are accepting then you shouldn't have much of a problem in Hawaii. Think of Hawaii as the 'land of instant karma'!!!

Real Estate prices are at record highs right now. Is there any way you can rent for awhile, determine the neighborhood (and commute) that works for you, then buy when real estate stabilizes a bit? Just a thought. Oh, unfortunately rentals are currently at record highs, too.

Regardless...welcome to Hawaii and HT.
        Thanks for the replies so far.

When my wife and I moved from Texas to Maryland a few years ago we decided to rent and then buy (what was our first house). Waiting cost us about 100k. I guess we are just a little afraid of that happening again. We also really enjoy fixing our house to our liking and it would be so hard to rent again. We take our house hunting trip in April for 10 days. Hopefully we can get a good idea in that time where and what we are looking for.

Comment

The "anti-growth" crowd virtually guarantees that housing prices in Hawaii will continue rising.

It's ironic that many in the "anti-growth" crowd make no connection between their efforts to stifle supply and their inability to afford the ever rising price of a house.

Most in the "anti-growth" crowd don't understand the true result of their efforts.....to preserve Hawaii for only the wealthy.

They bring their children to the meetings to protest this or that. Funny how they never protest at the maternity ward.

Just another example of Liberal Cognitive Dissonance.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

When my wife and I moved from Texas to Maryland a few years ago we decided to rent and then buy (what was our first house). Waiting cost us about 100k. I guess we are just a little afraid of that happening again. We also really enjoy fixing our house to our liking and it would be so hard to rent again. We take our house hunting trip in April for 10 days. Hopefully we can get a good idea in that time where and what we are looking for.
            My daughter is going thru the same thing you are and she, too, prefers not to rent again. She's thinking about moving back to Hawaii and will be here in about 10 days to check out some real estate. My realtor friends have all said the same thing...wait!...for at least 6 to 12 months. But she...and you...must do what feels right.

Do you know in what area of Oahu you'll be working?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

Do you know in what area of Oahu you'll be working?
              I will be working in Kunia.

My wife hasn't found a job yet but my hunch is that she will be near Honolulu. She is in IT and has applied to many jobs but it's still a few months before we arrive and I think she will just have better luck in person.

Comment

I will be working in Kunia.

My wife hasn't found a job yet but my hunch is that she will be near Honolulu. She is in IT and has applied to many jobs but it's still a few months before we arrive and I think she will just have better luck in person.
                Working in Kunia opens several possibilities for communities that would otherwise be considered a commute. However, if your wife does end up working in town then you'll probably need to reassess, especially considering how bad our traffic situation is.

Comment

Aloha, this is my first post. Thank's for having me

I am moving to Oahu in June. I have never been to HI before. I imagine this question has been answered in other posts but I looked around a bit and now my head is spinning. So, here it goes:

I am concerned about being a caucasian and making sure I live in a neighborhood that will be mostly accepting of me and my wife. I also am not rich but want to own a townhouse or house (~500k) with a yard.

Thanks,

Jonathan

i'll put in my vote for the Aiea area

Comment

I am concerned about being a caucasian and making sure I live in a neighborhood that will be mostly accepting of me and my wife.
                    Jonathan, I sure hope this isn't a subtle way of saying "I want to live in a mostly-white folks neighborhood."

If you are "mostly accepting" of the wide range of different races and cultures that will be all around you, they will be "mostly accepting" of you. You may find some hostility towards you, as haoles and as newcomers, but that comes with the territory and can change over time - your own behavior towards others will go a long way towards your acceptance by the community.

Play nice, and respect the bounty that will be around you.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                      Jonathan, I sure hope this isn't a subtle way of saying "I want to live in a mostly-white folks neighborhood."

No not at all. I hear these rumors/stories about how mainlanders are treated. I don't know if its so bad that I might WANT to live in at least a mixed neighborhood. Who would want to walk into a situation where you are truly not wanted?

From what I have heard so far from you and others, the people are nice and accepting if you treat them the same way. That's great! That's how it should be!

Comment

From what I have heard so far from you and others, the people are nice and accepting if you treat them the same way. That's great! That's how it should be!
                        long as ya don't keep comin back with crap like:

"hey, ya didn't hear the rest of my comments about how i love your neighborhood, after i said, ya sure don't sweat much for a buncha batshit crazy nutjob native darkies!
                        If y'all take that as me insulting you neigbors, then man, I was grossly misinformed about the Aloha spirit.
                        y'all either are grossly misinterpreting what I've said or taking it very much in the wrong way. oh my god you misread that SO bad. you guys are being so negative. You are viewing what I said with a VERY incorrect frame of mind..."

Comment

I hear these rumors/stories about how mainlanders are treated...From what I have heard so far from you and others, the people are nice and accepting if you treat them the same way.
                          Go with your eyes open, a healthy sense of humor, and a thick skin.

Some of the stories you have heard likely have some truth to them - but be aware of the unique place you are moving to, and understand WHY there are people there who hate mainlanders and haoles. And understand that you probably won't be able to do anything that will change their attitudes.

But also know that not everybody will feel that way, and that there will be varying degrees of acceptance throughout the Islands. As you noted, it's truly about respect - you show it, you're more likely to receive it.

If you get teased about being white folks from the Mainland, be able to laugh at yourself and your "haole ways;" joke about the things that you are having trouble understanding or adjusting to, and do it in a fashion that says to people "I'm open to your suggestions and help, so I can learn to be pono - to do what is right, to learn Island ways, no matter how different they are to me."

Study, study, study - no excuse for being ignorant about what you are getting into. Read about the history, politics, culture, foods, spirituality, music, racial conflicts, monarchy, etc. etc. etc. It will help you to understand where people are coming from, especially if the situation is a little tense. Learn what you can of the languages (both `olelo Hawai`i AND pidgin); see how Hawaiian words can be used to describe your life (but DON'T imitate a pidgin speaker - you will sound foolish at best, insulting and derogatory at worst.)

You can make a successful transition into a special place - it will take much more effort than anywhere else you may have been - but the rewards will be astounding; good luck.

Comment

the basic guidelines:

don't be pushy.

slow down.

don't offer unsolicited opinions.
                            "we do it different on the mainland!"

share share share, kokua, offer a beer to da blalah, and share more.

hemo da slippahz! bahkatadeh, or wot!?

be friendly. Don't walk around with that typical "weaned on a pickle" expression.

Comment

Make friends with a few people born and raised on the island as soon as you can. Having someone who knows the "ropes" will keep you from making some potentially painful blunders. And those people can help you build your own social network (it's a pretty closed community and that "6 Degrees of Separation" thing may actually be more like 3 or 4 degrees in Hawai'i )

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X