Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real School

Aloha all,

Since you guys are already hip to using forums, I thought you might be interested in our new totally non-profit, totally ad-free site regarding education in Hawaii. A labor of love project that has cost my wife and I more time and money than we ever imagined, but it's finally ready to roll. Lots of forums (see below). And info on a new program for "accelerated" 5/6th graders--pretty radical actually, a self-contained class for high potential elementary students.

I invite you to come on over and register. It has just opened and, as HawaiiThreads knows, it takes a certain level of activity for a forums-based website to reach a critical mass. So make a post on a brand new website to help the cause of educational discourse in Hawaii!

http://real-school.com

You will find:

Match-Ed Forums
    The "Match-Ed Forums" are something of an educational match-making
    service for people to share their expertise with each other informally.
    The Match-Ed Forums also contain areas for people giving lessons of
    some sort, clubs and hobbies, as well as an area for folks providing
    other services and local events.

Education Forums
    A variety of educational topics are specified in the "Education
    Forums". It's like interactive letters-to-the-editor discussions of
    many different aspects of schooling on the Big Island. You are invited
    to join in!

School Forums
    Each and every school on the Big Island has their own forum to discuss
    issues specific to their school. Check out the discussion at your
    public, charter, or private school!

REAL Class
    The Hawai'i Academy of Arts and Science Public Charter School
    (commonly known as HAAS) is hosting a pilot program called "Relevant
    Education for Accelerated Learners". The REAL Class will be accepting
    applications through April 2006 for 20 spaces in a 5th/6th combo class
    to start in July 2006.

Real School will become _the_ place to to talk story about education in
    the Hawaii! We hope.

Cheers,
    Kirt Nieft

Re: Real School

Originally posted by frisbee
    Real School will become _the_ place to to talk story about education in
    the Hawaii!
    hey. we talk story here. don't steal ryan's audience.

Comment

oh, and btw; IF... you wanna every create a web site dealing in education, learning, etc...
      make sure you don't employ the use of such non-words like "challange"

(jezz givin ya heat, Kirt;
      the rest of the web site is impressive.
      I worked at Montessori and public schools as well as had years of child psychology classes in college and appreciate when I see this kinda thing.)
      Last edited by kimo55; January 29, 2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        hey. we talk story here. don't steal ryan's audience.
        LOL! Don't think there is any danger of that. I've been browsing around here and it sure seems you all have a good thing going here!

Real School is limited to education--no competition for a site as comprehensive and established as this...

Cheers,
        Kirt Nieft

Comment

A labor of love project that has cost my wife and I more time and money than we ever imagined, but it's finally ready to roll.
          I don't mean to be snotty (I plan to check the site out and hope it becomes everything you set out to make it), but as Kimo points out, if you're going to host a website focused on education, please, please, please do yourself (and those of us in the profession) a favor and model the use of correct English, especially in promoting the website to others. If you forget whether it's "my wife and I" or "my wife and me," just re-write the sentence with the pronoun and see which sounds correct: "has cost me" or "has cost I?"

I say this with all due respect. It's tough to be exact, but we owe it to ourselves and our students -- at least in formal writing -- to live up to the standards we expect them to meet.

Good luck in your endeavor. If it gets people talking about education in a positive and constructive way, I'm all for it.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            I say this with all due respect. It's tough to be exact, but we owe it to ourselves and our students -- at least in formal writing -- to live up to the standards we expect them to meet.

Good luck in your endeavor. If it gets people talking about education in a positive and constructive way, I'm all for it.
            Thanks for pointing that out. Unlike most teachers, I _like_ to be corrected. I used several sentence fragments as well which isn't proper to many people. Hopefully you will find more formal writing on the web site! That said, I am sure there will be typos and misusauge to be found. I don't pretend to be perfect, but couldn't agree more about the high standards. Thanks!

I think you will enjoy the intent of the web site, and I appreciate your feedback.

Still can't find the "challange" Kimo mentioned...

Oh well. I'll keep trying.

Cheers,
            Kirt Nieft

Comment

You could have put listed your Website under your "signiture" ~ it's called "Professional Courtesy"!

...anyway's, what's done is done. Good Luck! Anything to do with Education is tops!

Autnie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by frisbee
                Thanks for pointing that out. Unlike most teachers, I _like_ to be corrected. ... That said, I am sure there will be typos and misusauge
                "misusauge" ... heee!

Don'tcha hate it when that happens?

While we're at it, where you said, "A labor of love project that has cost my wife and I ..." that should be "my wife and me." I only mention that because I thought you might use the same phrasing elsewhere.

And "challange" appears in the FAQ:

"So Real School is not an actual school with classrooms and such?

"Real School is the name of this web site. When this venture was started, we envisioned starting a private school aimed at the many students of Puna who are frustrated with the lack of challange ..."
                Last edited by MadAzza; January 30, 2006, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                  "misusauge" ... heee!

Don'tcha hate it when that happens?
                  LOL. Maybe I should quit while I'm behind on this thread.

Thanks for the pointer to "challange"! I appreciate it.

Cheers,
                  Kirt Nieft

Comment

not so bad as "misuse of sausage"

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      not so bad as "misuse of sausage"
                      wat sausage? ROFLMAO!!!!!!

(me)
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

more pet peeves:

"that"
                        thrown in too many times in the middle of sentences...

"that said"
                        a new fad term (that should have no place in any education system) a phrase hopefully with built in limited life span. Use "although"... has worked perfectly fine for many decades thus far, and has not worn out its welcome, as 'that said' most definitely has.
                        (whew. say that ten times really fast)

"as well"
                        another mostly redundant phrase employed to artificially elevate the message to attempt to elicit an internal response like "oh boy! dis bruddah, he spik good alrighty, yea yoobethca!"

and more manini kine stuffs...

"But a private school means tuition. "
                        really?!
                        I assumed "private school" means: a school which was private.

" We are VERY excited about this opportunity to serve..."
                        that's good. cuz i was gonna be VERY disappointed if you
                        only said: "We are excited about this opportunity ..."

I would not say "way above"
                        rather, use "far above" or simply, "above"
                        "way above" is junior high.
                        Like saying
                        "scary", rather than "frightening"

"How does this website promote educational discussion and opportunity?
                        You will find on this website many dozens of discussion"

You don't need to reiterate "website" it is ascertained this is the object.
                        "Many dozens" sounds clunky, awkward, slightly forced, just a little pretentious and quite redundant. "many" means numerous. So does "dozens"

Comment

Thanks, kimo55, for your careful reading and suggestions for improvement! Seems you have a talent for this sort of thing.

I agree with nearly all of your comments and will revise the copy accordingly, probably tonight.

Keep em coming if you care to...

I especially appreciate your comments about what comes off as overly "spik good alrighty". It was a balancing act between speaking formally with correct "useage" and coming off too casual. And the problem of sounding to "hype" but still straight talking--if that makes any sense.

Anyway, thanks!

Cheers,
                          Kirt Nieft

Comment

don't i know it! that balance sometimes hard to get.
                            but try we must!

Comment

wow, i'm gonna go and visit the site right now b/c anybody who can put up with such incessant nitpicking and still be so polite must be worth checking out. of course, i'm an all-lower-case typist, so my opinion might not be worth as much as someone who uses proper punctuation...

give the guy a break, man. it sounds like he's just trying to do us all a service.

Comment

Working...
                              X