Leftovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leftovers

You folks have probably been there before. Prepare and/or buy enough grinds to feed TWO armies, even though only one army is expected, and there you have it. Leftovers for the entire WEEK.

We celebrated the Chinese New Year this past Saturday, and as a result, we still have yet to finish more than half a tray each of Go Lo Mein, Beef Broccoli, Walnut Shrimp, Charsiu Bau, Roast Duck, Duck Egg, Lemon Chicken, and a huge container of Winter Melon Soup (from Golden Dynasty on University Ave., cheap and ono B-T-W).

I just have to say that Chinese food makes for absolutely TERRIBLE leftovers! Put a little of each leftover item on a plate, throw it in the microwave the next day (or 2 or 5 days later), and you have one MSG's, homogenous, oily and dry concoction, which, for me anyway, is difficult to stomach. Bleck!

Things I find good as leftovers are cold pizza (love that!) and local style beef stew.. always better the next day; with day old poi of course!

Here's a good tip for you SuperBowl'ers out there. Poke is on da' pupu menu right? If you have leftover Ahi Poke (rare, but possible), don't let it spoil! Simply throw it in a very hot Wok with a little Shoyu and Mirin and fry da' buggah until fully cooked.. so ono!

sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Leftovers

Pomai, Next time you get left ova Chinese Roast Pork and Char Siu - put little oil into wok, high fire, add lil' bit oyster sauce, mustard cabbage and slices of onions/green onions too. Guarans ~ ONOLICIOUS!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm offended or anything but I want to clarify on the Chinese food not being good leftovers topic. That usually applies to take out. Its not the best quality to begin with. The ingredients aren't always right or they put too much of something. Also a lot of stuff has been westernized or dumb-down for the public. So reheating stuff like that only makes it worse.

I cook my own Chinese food and its been fine for leftovers during the following week. I will have to admit that cooking your own food gives you more control on the ingredients and how its made.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
        I'm offended or anything but I want to clarify on the Chinese food not being good leftovers topic. That usually applies to take out. Its not the best quality to begin with. The ingredients aren't always right or they put too much of something. Also a lot of stuff has been westernized or dumb-down for the public. So reheating stuff like that only makes it worse.

I cook my own Chinese food and its been fine for leftovers during the following week. I will have to admit that cooking your own food gives you more control on the ingredients and how its made.
        I dunno wea you getting your Chinese Kaukau from but wea I get mine from is excellent! Da left ova's are great! The Chinese Roast Pork, Char Sui, Roast Duck, Shoyu Chicken are from Chinatown...where my Ohana have been purchasing wea before I wuz born ~ and I fifty!!

btw: I shake lots of hands there too!

Auntie Lynn
        Last edited by 1stwahine; January 30, 2006, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I would categorize that more of the roasted meats type of food within the Chinese cuisine. A specialty as opposed to a general dining type of food. Also a specialty that not many Chinese people will make at home.

Did they/you get it from Nam Fong?

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
            I would categorize that more of the roasted meats type of food within the Chinese cuisine. A specialty as opposed to a general dining type of food. Also a specialty that not many Chinese people will make at home.

Did they/you get it from Nam Fong?
            "Nam Fong" is one of the places I go to.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
            X