Roach infestation in my vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach infestation in my vehicle

A few months ago a friend gave me a bunch of plants and ever since I transported all the plants via the trunk and backseat of my sedan, I've seen quite a few roaches in my car.

I vacuumed the car really well, put some roach motels in my trunk and just sort of hoped the problem would go away, but it seems to be getting worse each day. The other night one crawled up my pant leg while I was driving up the Pali! *shudder*

One friend tells me to bug bomb my car; another told me that using the bomb in such a tight space could be dangerous.

Anyone ever had this problem before? How the heck do I get rid of a roach infestation in my car?

Re: Roach infestation in my vehicle

Originally posted by Tiabla
    A few months ago a friend gave me a bunch of plants and ever since I transported all the plants via the trunk and backseat of my sedan, I've seen quite a few roaches in my car.

I vacuumed the car really well, put some roach motels in my trunk and just sort of hoped the problem would go away, but it seems to be getting worse each day. The other night one crawled up my pant leg while I was driving up the Pali! *shudder*

One friend tells me to bug bomb my car; another told me that using the bomb in such a tight space could be dangerous.

Anyone ever had this problem before? How the heck do I get rid of a roach infestation in my car?
    Why would the "Bomb" be dangerous? Nobody going be inside the car when you let it go OFF!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

well, there is a mouthpiece on the can so you can blow up the bomb...

Comment

You probably have some kind of moisture issue also going on in your car. Bombs work somewhat, my kidhauler minivan is a haven for roaches as my kids like to sneak a snack in the back benches and leave the wrappers laying around.

One reason why I don't like those roach motels is that these things are designed to ATTRACT those critters to the motel. And where is that trap? In your car! Now all the area roaches in your garage are telling the other roaches, "Hey there's this cool place to go can you smell it? It's in that car".

I think the better idea is to put those bait traps outside your car and attract the roaches outta da car and into da motel outside da car.

But if you're gonna bomb the car use one of those no mess water activated bombs instead of the aerosols. They don't leave an oily mess. When I bomb our van I run the ac in a recirulating mode so the vapors get into the vents where those buggahs hide out. Make sure you air the car for a really long time. You may want to open the windows and go for a long drive the next day and force the scents out.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          You probably have some kind of moisture issue also going on in your car. Bombs work somewhat, my kidhauler minivan is a haven for roaches as my kids like to sneak a snack in the back benches and leave the wrappers laying around.

One reason why I don't like those roach motels is that these things are designed to ATTRACT those critters to the motel. And where is that trap? In your car! Now all the area roaches in your garage are telling the other roaches, "Hey there's this cool place to go can you smell it? It's in that car".

I think the better idea is to put those bait traps outside your car and attract the roaches outta da car and into da motel outside da car.

But if you're gonna bomb the car use one of those no mess water activated bombs instead of the aerosols. They don't leave an oily mess. When I bomb our van I run the ac in a recirulating mode so the vapors get into the vents where those buggahs hide out. Make sure you air the car for a really long time. You may want to open the windows and go for a long drive the next day and force the scents out.
          Thank you very much for the suggestions! You make a good point about the roach motels. Unfortunately I park on the street so putting the roach motels outside the car would be ineffective (though it would be fun to watch my neighbors' reactions!).

I'll check out the water activated bombs, and that's a good idea about recirculating the air to get the vapors in the vents and hoses. I have to drive up to the North Shore on Saturday, so maybe I'll bomb it tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Comment

Also when doing the bombing run, don't forget the trunk. While the barrier between the trunk and passenger compartment is not airtight, bombing the passenger compartment only will leave many survivors in the trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretender
              Also when doing the bombing run, don't forget the trunk. While the barrier between the trunk and passenger compartment is not airtight, bombing the passenger compartment only will leave many survivors in the trunk.
              Ah, good point! I'll put down my backseat so the fogger can get to the trunk. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Aren't those bombs designed for room volumes? Setting one of those off in a vehicle may be a tad too much? I would just go the roach motel route. I don't think the outside roaches gonna be attracted to the bait unless you leave your windows open and such.

Edit in: Or maybe if you have (or have access) to an enclosed garage... set the bombs off in there with the car in it and the windows and trunks open...
                Last edited by cezanne; February 3, 2006, 09:40 AM.

Comment

my friend always just uses the bomb, for his automobile roach infestations, never seem to hurt the car or him.
                  808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                  kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                  http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

I've always wondered about the toxic levels of using a bomb in a car but I've used them in all my cars with no problems (eh maybe the occasional twitching of the eyes or the frequent neck spasms )

Too bad the insecticide people cannot make a environmentally safe bomb with vapor emissions suitable for cars and other vehicles.

I still feel putting a roach motel only attracts roaches to your car because if candy wrappers and fast food crumbs can bring them into your car then a roach trap with a bait strip smelling like whore on a hot night going for seconds can do the same if not better. The idea is to attract the roaches away from the car, not into it.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Interesting Thread. Although we don't eat in our car and I can't think of an instance where I brought them in, we now have roaches residing there.
                      So I think I'll go with the bomb idea.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Probably got to bomb a couple times. One to start things off. Two to catch survivors and the baby ones that hatched later.

Comment

Working...
                        X