Pick a song for the radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick a song for the radio

(I thought about titling this thread: "Wanna do my work for me?")

Okay, here's my idea --- reply with one favorite song (w/artist) from the Island repertoire - it can be a Hawaiian-language classic, a newer release, an English-language one from the "renaissance" era.

I'll take the suggestions, as many as I can locate (I'm in Seattle, remember), and I'll play them on my KBCS radio show on Saturday, March 4, mentioning who from HT chose which song.

You can listen to the program in Hawai`i (or anywhere else) live, March 4, between Noon - 2 pm Pacific Time (10 am - Noon in Hawai`i, on that date at least) at the station's website, http://kbcs.fm. In the Seattle area, of course, it's on-air at 91.3 FM

It's a community station, so you won't be bombarded with commercials. A few caveats:
    > It should be something that has been released on CD, as I don't have access to much Hawaiian vinyl.
    > Please don't pick something too obscure or hard-to-find; remember, I'm on the Mainland, and this isn't "stump the DJ." However, if you give me enough time, I might be able to get my hands on a copy.
    > The format of the station prevents me from playing certain types of music, so no rock (though the soft pop sounds of C+K, Beamers, Kalapana, Country Comfort, etc. are OK), and no deep Jawaiian (stuff like some Sean Na`auao, Keahiwai, Kapena can work.)
    > There are two hosts on the program, so I don't get to do the whole show, but I will incorporate my partner (Manono from Moloka`i) as much as possible into the announcements and comments.

I'll take suggestions up until Feb. 25. This is a very popular radio show in Seattle, so you might help turn the listeners on to something.

Whaddya think? HawaiiThreads takes over Hawai`i Radio Connection! Any questions? Let's hear your choices...

P.S.) I'm on the show this Saturday, too, if you want to hear me - I generally co-host the first Saturday of each month.

Re: Pick a song for the radio
    Shoots, Uncle, sounds good.

My request is, "From A Dancer" by Ho'okena.

Comment

"Pretty Red Hibiscus" by guess who? Brothers CAZ!
      ...Robert dedicates this song to my MAMA!

The words itself describes his Love to MAMA.

Auntie Lynn

Lurkah, make sure you remind me!!!
      Last edited by 1stwahine; January 31, 2006, 01:26 PM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Very very cool idea!
        My vote easily goes to "Hi`ilawe" from Gabby Pahinui's "Gabby" album (better known as the "brown" album). There are, of course, two versions of "Hi`ilawe" on that album -- the original 1947 version and the 'new' 1972 version, which seques into "Aloha `Oe" and might be a good way to end your show.
        Play both versions, and win big bonus points!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Manono suggests I also ask you the following:
          "Why do you like your pick? Does it remind you of a special time? A certain someone? Etc, etc...."

Comment

"Hanohano Hawai'i" by Martin Pahinui on "Ho'olohe."

I chose this song because although this entire album absolutely rocks, I have never heard one song off it played on the radio.

There are many more that I could choose, but I only get one, so that is it.

I think people would be amazed at how all the Pahinui sons have carried their father's sound into the 21st Century while still retaining the distinct flavor and feel of the original.

(If you're feeling like exploring this,) I also love "Hurrah Lani Ha'a Ha'a" by Cyril Pahinui on "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters Collection Vol 2."

And Bla Pahinui shines on "Mana" with "Gabby Kai," but that track is only instrumental and doesn't feature his writhing, impassionate vocals. In Bla's case, while his slack key is innovative and second-to-none, the vocals are where you'll find his dad hiding. So I suggest instead, "Meleana E," which features the guitar work along with his incredible voice.

I chose all of these because none of them gets regular radio air play, though they should.

Blaine
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

What fun!

Pua Hone - the Caz
              No particular association other than it touches me clear to the pit of my soul. Love hearing Dennis Kamakahi sing his own song, too!

Now, the next one I can hardly type without falling apart...

Aloha O`e - the Caz
              My dad loved the Caz and he loved that song. I sent it to him many years ago. He called to say he got about 30 seconds into it and had to turn it off because it was SO beautiful that it buckled his emotional knees. Prior to Pop's funeral service, when he was lying in his casket in a side room, alone, I had the mortuary play that song over and over...just for Pop. He was a captive audience and I wanted him to hear the entire song. When it was time for the service, the CD was placed in his casket where it will remain forever. That was May 2003 and I'm still unable to listen to that incredibly beautiful song. There...I got thru it...barely.

Okay, LL...now you owe me one. I'm casting a PSA this week and am looking for...nah, I won't go there. It'll undoubtedly upset the heck outta some anonymous person! Oh, please send a reminder closer to the radio show's date, 'kay...for those of us who are memory challenged!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

"Why do you like your pick? Does it remind you of a special time? A certain someone? Etc, etc...."
                My request is, "From A Dancer" by Jon Osorio, Randy Borden, and Steve Brown from their E Ho'i Mai CD.

The song was written in 1996 by Jon and Randy for Keola Kamahele and dedicated to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. The song's theme is about someone who is about to leave on an extended journey.

What makes this song especially moving for me is knowing that Jon and Randy had been working together on this song knowing that Randy was dying of cancer, and I like to think that the song's poignant dialogue is that of them saying goodbye to each other, before Randy was to leave...this life.
                When I leave, I will take from this place
                the lei that we share
                When I leave, I will breathe in the grace
                of this love in the air
                And it will live, as long as I live
                and with every song that I hear

I'll believe that my spirit still lives
                in the wind and the sea
                And I'll breathe every memory of you
                as it wafts out to me
                And I'll be here, as long as you're here
                and wherever I go

Ride on the songs you've been given
                Fly back to us when you hear them, oh hear them

I have seen all the signs of my life
                as they daily unfold
                I am pleased to have joined with you all
                in the dance of my soul
                And I will feel as long as you feel
                that we're never apart

When I leave, oh when I leave
                Last edited by lurkah; January 31, 2006, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  Now, the next one I can hardly type without falling apart...

Aloha O`e - the Caz
                  ....still unable to listen to that incredibly beautiful song. There...I got thru it...barely.
                  It's funny what I first remember about the trip I made to Honolulu last December. Other than the obvious things I first recall about this trip (my experience in the Honolulu Marathon and meeting five Hawai'i Threaders in person), my favorite memory is oddly turning out to be one which revolves around one of days I was doing the mundanest of tasks...laundry...at a laundromat in Kailua...the open air one across the street from the Kailua Arby's.

The song Aloha O'e came on over the sound system there during my wash's spin cycle..I believe the station was turned to KINE...and, after having heard this song, I thought to myself..man..that's got to be one of the most beautiful, chicken skin raising songs I've ever heard. I don't know why it's beauty all of a sudden dawned on me...maybe it was the fidelity of the speakers in there that allowed me to actually hear the song...not just listen to it, but actually "hear" it. I thought to myself I have to get a copy of it to play when I'm missing the islands. That song is indeed beautiful.

Comment

OK, there was this one song I heard everyday I was in Hawaii, that always made me smile. Guava Jelly, Bob Marley. I would love to hear it again.

Also, I enjoy IZ's Mona Lisa.

Have to say, thank goodness for internet radio! It helps keep the spirit in my heart to hear KINE all the way over here.
                    Honumel

Comment

Originally posted by honumel
                      Guava Jelly, Bob Marley.
                      Um, not quite the Island I was thinking of, but a cool song anyway. Ka`au Crater Boys, Peter Moon Band, Ilona Irvine have all done it, too.

Comment

I'm not from Hawai'i but I would vote for anything off the self titled Kalapana album. "Naturally" is my fav. Or maybe "Night Music " by C&K.
                        Two songs that stayed with me from my first visit to Hawai'i way back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraScoop
                          I'm not from Hawai'i
                          Not a requirement - thanks for the suggestions, good ones too.

And yes, I will post a reminder the day before I do this show in March.

Comment

Apologies for the semi-useless post - just want to keep this thread alive for a couple more weeks.
                            I did send out a dedication on last week's show, btw, "to my on-line `ohana in Chinatown" (you know who you are), before playing Ledward Ka`apana's "Fish Market Slack Key" (from his Grammy-nominated CD.)

Comment

Mahalo Leo!

On-Line Ohana of Chinatown, Honolulu, Hawaii

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X