condos in Maui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• condos in Maui

We are trying to get an idea about real estate. Any input would be great. How are the harbor light condos in Maui, what is the view or area like? Also what about Kihie bay surf, seems to be a lot of condos for sale in those two. Makes me wonder if they are ok. Any advice on a town to live in would be great, looking for something under $280,000. Also what is the average monthly association fee, in most condos in that price range.

Re: condos in Maui

Originally posted by islandcat
    We are trying to get an idea about real estate. Any input would be great. How are the harbor light condos in Maui, what is the view or area like? Also what about Kihie bay surf, seems to be a lot of condos for sale in those two. Makes me wonder if they are ok. Any advice on a town to live in would be great, looking for something under $280,000. Also what is the average monthly association fee, in most condos in that price range.
    Erm, you DON'T want to buy in Harbor Lights! You have a view of Kahului Harbor (which has no beach) and a chance to smell rotting seaweed when the wind blows the right way. It's also an older development (built in the 60s) that apparently has had its share of issues dealing with crime (i.e., drugs).

There are so many condos in the Kihei area (mostly timeshares). I looked up the one your're interested in and I think it's one of those that's located across the street from the beach, and I think it's mostly got timeshare units (or maybe I'm thinking of the Kihei Bay Vista, which is across the street from Kalepolepo (Ko'ie'ie) ancient Hawaiian fish pond, which is currently in the process of being restored (and is one of my favorite beaches). Having a place across the street on S. Kihei Rd. might be taking life into your hands because that road is always heavily trafficked. But if you like having transients as your neighbors, then I guess it would be OK. There are more beaches in South Maui than anywhere on the island except for West Maui, but you can only go to the beach in the morning in Kihei...the wind really really picks up in the afternoon (almost like clockwork, at 12 noon) every day. Plus Kihei and Wailea are wall to wall tourists.

You're not going to find any really decent condos for less than about $300k-400k (one bedroom) unless you find someplace like Iao Parkplace in Wailuku (and sales there are rare). It's not anywhere near the beach, but you could get to a beach within 10 minutes. I wouldn't want to own anything near a beach because of the threat of a tidal wave.

You might have to rent first and then look around for available things to buy. The housing market on Maui is extremely tight right now (more than Oahu). Go to www.mauinews.com and check the real estate ads there. Or contact one of the real estate brokers on Maui and work with him/her directly.

Good luck.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X