visiting March '06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• visiting March '06

I'm happy to have found HT. My family will be visiting O'ahu, Hawai'i and maybe Kaua'i in March. We love to camp, hike and explore. That is how we prefer to vacation, with nature. The only touristy thing we plan to do is Pearl Harbor.

What are the must does and places to see on our trip?

Aloha,
    Mary

Re: visiting March '06

Originally posted by m3sews
    I'm happy to have found HT. My family will be visiting O'ahu, Hawai'i and maybe Kaua'i in March. We love to camp, hike and explore. That is how we prefer to vacation, with nature. The only touristy thing we plan to do is Pearl Harbor.

Aloha,
    Mary
    Mary, first off, pick up a copy of The Hiker's Guide to O'ahu. It's the best reference book available for O'ahu trails. Also, check out Backyard O'ahu, which is a great web site. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Mary, first off, pick up a copy of The Hiker's Guide to O'ahu. It's the best reference book available for O'ahu trails. Also, check out Backyard O'ahu, which is a great web site. Good luck!
      Glen,
      Thanks for the info. I saw the Hiker's Gude to O'ahu, but wasn't sure with it being 10 years old if it was outdated or not.
      Mary

Comment

I saw the Hiker's Gude to O'ahu, but wasn't sure with it being 10 years old if it was outdated or not.
        A new edition was published in 2000, so it's not that old. How tough of a hike can your family do? There are all levels here on O'ahu. Here are a few more good hiking web sites:

Dayle Turner's hike tales: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~turner/hikes.html

The Hawaiian Trail and Mountain Club: http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/3660/

The Sierra Club, Hawai'i Chapter: http://www.hi.sierraclub.org/hikes.html

Na Ala Hele - a state-maintained trail system: http://www.hawaiitrails.org/home.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          A new edition was published in 2000, so it's not that old. How tough of a hike can your family do? There are all levels here on O'ahu. Here are a few more good hiking web sites:
          Glen,
          Thanks!!! Now that you said that I rechecked and I was looking at different books, Camping in Hawaii and Backpacking in Hawaii. I will get the book you recommended and check out the web sites.

Normally we can do moderate + hiking. We are not sure how our 15 year old son will do on this trip though with his asthma. With his meds for the past year it has been very controlled, no need of inhalers or nebulizer. We aren't sure what the change in climate and pollens will do to him.
          Mary
          Last edited by m3sews; February 1, 2006, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Aloha,
            Mary
            Take a chance ...Come to the Big Island
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
              Take a chance ...Come to the Big Island
              Oahu and Hawaii are for sures. Kauai is a maybe.

Do you have any recommondations for the Big Island, other than Volcano NP, which is already on our must do list?
              Mary

Comment

Normally we can do moderate + hiking. We are not sure how our 15 year old son will do on this trip though with his asthma. With his meds for the past year it has been very controlled, no need of inhalers or nebulizer. We aren't sure what the change in climate and pollens will do to him.
                If he's got an inhaler prescription, bring one with you. It wouldn't hurt. We do have a lot of pollen and dust here. And if you're visiting the Big Island, you should also read up on the health effects of vog just in case. And don't forget how far south Hawai'i is. We're about at the same latitude as Puerto Rico and Mexico City. That means that the sun is intense.

Comment

Working...
                X