The Da Vinci Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Da Vinci Code

I just got done reading Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella, I've read some of the reviews before purchasing the ebook from Palm Digital Media and they were all good. It was a quick fun read, mainly one for the ladies. Would I recommend it? Sure, if you're in the mood for something humorous.

I just started reading Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I thought I'd alternate between humor and mystery. Has anyone read it yet? What's your take on it?

Last edited by Leimamo; May 24, 2004, 06:40 PM.
    Send POI

Re: Da Vinci Code

Ehh, it was OK. A pretty standard thriller with a little bit about the Templars tossed in. If you want a book that really gives you a secret-history ride, read Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum instead. There's a book for serious conspiracy theorists.

Comment

I love it that they have a major best seller with a pidgin title.

Comment

I read it a while back and thought it was okay, didn't completely get engrossed by it. Though the conspiracy theories were interesting and I read somewhere that some people were actually taking it seriously. I think they're making it into a movie as well- with Tom Hanks as the lead (or so I've heard).

Comment

Y'all did know that the Vatican has said Catholics shouldn't read it, right?
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Yep. I wasn't even interested in the book 'til the religious folks started slamming it. Now there's a copy of it in the house, waiting to be read. (Considering there are dozens of books in the 'to be read' pile, it'll be waiting a while.) Hope the Vatican got a good commission from the publisher!

Comment

I liked the book...It was a good and fast read.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

I enjoyed _The Da Vinci Code_ as well.

I especially liked the puzzle-solving parts of it.

His previous book, _Angels & Demons_, also deals with the Roman Catholic church, and while it's not as good, it's more apropos for current events, as the plot revolves around the election of a new Pope.

-Dave
                "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
                And we never even know we have the key"
                -- Already Gone, Jack Tempchin & Bob Strandlund

Comment

I was in a bookstore over the weekend, and there was a whole "Da Vinci Code" shelf. And by this I mean, one row of "Da Vinci Code," and no fewer than six other books looking to jump on its coattails, usually of the "It's All Lies! Love God or Go To Hell" variety.

Comment

Hmmmmm... a "local" similar thread is that new novel "Black Ocean" which uses real people and events in Hawaii history to tell a wild fictional story!
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I bought the book a few weeks ago but I didn't start to read it until this past Sunday. Haven't finished it yet.

Comment

I was thinking about seeing the movie because it looked so interesting and from what I read from the critics they all didn't approve of the movie. I will however see it, to satisfy my own curiousity besides what the critics say. There's a lot of movies they bashed that thought I was well O.K. and some movies that they spoke badly about were actually good. Look at the Academy Awards half those movies that got nominated for awards I have never seen nor heard about till I watch the Awards on T.V.
                        A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

I just didn't see what all the fuss was about. There's really nothing new in the book at all. Amazing that Brown has become a very wealthy man from such an unsubstantial book.

Seeing the movie on Sunday, don't expect much from it except for maybe some interesting travelogue shots.

Comment

My review here.

The very next day somebody else reviewed it, which I commented on here.

I doubt if I'll see it.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Echoing others who have scratched their heads wondering what the fuss was about. Now, if we wanted to use Christianity/Jesus as a backdrop for some good and crunchy fiction, let's take on something about the gospel of Judas.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X