Splitting Hawaii County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting Hawaii County

A meeting was held in West Hawaii to organize support to split Hawaii county into two separate counties. I personally support the split because of the growth of the Konaside. As a lifelong resident of Hilo with ties to Kona, I know that a 100 mile away voice is sometimes heard as a whisper.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Splitting Hawaii County

Where did they discuss drawing the line? Waimea could go either way. If they go by population, the two counties would be Ali'i Drive and evrywhere else!

Comment

I can understand why the Kona side people would want this but I think overall it's bad for the island.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I was attendance at that meeting. I wrote up my thoughts on the
        meeting here. Please bear
        in mind this when you read it. I've lived in Kona my entire life born
        and raised. I've been to many meetings and noticed the same thing.

Any political subdivision (e.g county, city) needs to be approved
        by a super majority in the legislature. Do you really think the
        34 Representatives (out of 51) and 18 Senators (out of 25) from
        Oahu will approve this. I don't think so, not for the time being.
        They don't want Kapolei or Kailua on Oahu try to create their
        own county.

I know your going to ask what happened with the City and County
        of Honolulu. Evidently the political will of Frank Fasi made that happen.
        For Honolulu to qualify for federal grant money, it had to be incorporated
        into a city. As far as I know it wasn't approved by the legislature.

That being said, atleast in the short term, 7 out of 9 council members
        need to be kicked out of office here on the Big Island. They are even
        furthering the rift between East and West Hawaii.
        Last edited by Aaron S; February 1, 2006, 07:34 AM.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

It's been a long time since I lived on the Big Island so I can't remember if the members of the Hawaii County Council are elected as at-large or by districts?

For that matter do they have satellite city halls on the Big Island?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
            Where did they discuss drawing the line? Waimea could go either way. If they go by population, the two counties would be Ali'i Drive and everywhere else!

I've heard some very interesting scenarios. It is POSSIBLE that a split
            county be north and south. With Hilo getting the resorts and the money
            leaving the south side with very little or it could be the traditional
            east west split.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by helen
              It's been a long time since I lived on the Big Island so I can't remember if the members of the Hawaii County Council are elected as at-large or by districts?

For that matter do they have satellite city halls on the Big Island?
              No satellite city halls here, and council members are elected by district.
              But I don't know, the folks in East Hawaii, constantly elect these lousy
              council members.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Did the Governors office ALWAYS have Two Liaisons for the Big Island?

An East Hawaii and a West Hawaii Representative?

I just noticed in todays Starbulletin that she has appointed an advisor to replace Andy Smith as the East Sides Advisor.

Andy Smith is now becoming the West Sides Advisor.

I was just wondering if the Big Island ALWAYS had two Liaisons?

Anyone can fill me in on this???

It seems as though Lingle is Trying to Split up the county on her own if that's the case.

"A University of Hawaii at Hilo student who was rejected by the Senate for the student seat on the Board of Regents has been appointed as Gov. Linda Lingle's representative to East Hawaii effective today, according to a news release from the governor's office.

Dylan Nonaka, 24, the president of the UH-Hilo Student Association, is also a real estate agent and former Marine. He is a 1999 graduate of Konawaena High School and is majoring in political science and economics."

http://starbulletin.com/2006/02/01/news/story11.html

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                  I can understand why the Kona side people would want this but I think overall it's bad for the island.
                  Imagine if Oahu was 5 times bigger ... ....
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

I am a West Hawaii Resident in South Kona. I ran for county council last go round against Bob Jacobson. Alas, the voters voted, and are getting what they want from Mr. Jacobson. Right? An evicted vice-chair who left his onions in his wife's purse.

Other voters voted for Virginia Isbell over Joe Rosner. Rosner was clearly the best candidate in that race. I'm sure those Kona voters love the way Ms. Isbell sides with the Hilo Cartel. Right? A council person courting the Hilo vote so she can become Mayor.

Still other North Kona voters voted for Angel Pilago over Jim Rathman. Angel has been instrumental in fostering the politics of "no". I'm so glad that North Kona voters are getting what they want. Right? A Pine-Trees activist trying to prevent his children from ever owning a home in West Hawaii.

3 winning candidates from the West Side. 3 complete idiots imho.

You can be dead certain that I won't be tossing my hat into the ring again anytime soon. At least not until the some of these old baby booming, liberal, dingbats start to die off.

Listen to the youth. You might learn something.

As far as splitting the county in two, I guess it's a wonderful idea that we have MORE govt workers. Brilliant !! A brief review of the fall of the Roman Empire would tell you that the more govt workers you have, the more likely your system will implode upon itself, and FAIL.

Susan McGeachy is a fine woman. I know her personally. But she would be much more effective running for Mayor, than splitting the county.

What say you Susan? Being Mayor, you might expect an enormous pay cut from your current real estate income. But money doesnt really matter in the face of altruism.

I pray that Kelly Greenwell goes for it again. He was the best choice last time in the mayor's race also. West Hawaii Voters - LISTEN UP !!! You so don't get it that it's laughable. I know this is true. I am speaking from a "candidates" point of view.

Aloha

Tim Bates
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                      Alas, the voters voted, and are getting what they want from Mr. Jacobson.
                      Other voters voted for
                      Still other North Kona voters voted for
                      Listen to the youth. You might learn something.
                      West Hawaii Voters - LISTEN UP !!! You so don't get it that it's laughable. I know this is true. I am speaking from a "candidates" point of view.
                      Funny how nobody votes from the maternity wards.

Comment

I hope I can live on Hawaii some day and vote against Tim too.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Tim are you same person that advocated to forcibly open up the Hokulia Bypass
                          at a Kona Roads meeting awhile back ?

I believe only Angel Pilago and Peter Hoffmann are the only two good
                          people on the council. The rest of them should get the boot. As for
                          Susan McGeachy, I'm really at a loss for words. I don't think her
                          in your face mainland attitude is going to get us anywhere.
                          I was going to be a part of her group, but I asked to be removed
                          yesterday.

You can see her blog here
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Forcibly....i guess that's the word....no question that the MAJORITY of West Hawaii Residents want that road open.

I agree that Pete Hoffman is a bright light on an otherwise dim council.

As for Angel, he still panders to the "politics of no" just like Mayor Kim.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                              Forcibly....i guess that's the word....no question that the MAJORITY of West Hawaii Residents want that road open.

I agree that Pete Hoffman is a bright light on an otherwise dim council.

As for Angel, he still panders to the "politics of no" just like Mayor Kim.

I want that road open too believe me. But I've been following the Hokulia
                              saga for awhile.It is a certainly complex situation, with no easy answers.
                              I 've driven down the completed portion of the road, when I went on
                              a tour of Hokulia. It is not complete, by any stretch of the imagination.

As soon as you reach Hokulia, it turns into this one lane road. Plus on top
                              that Phase II is in limbo because the adjoining landowner is contesting
                              the county's use of eminent domain to acquire their land for the road.
                              My point is your comment was foolhardy and inappropriate in my opinion.

Back on topic a lot of the reason why we have infrastructure issues here
                              is because the fringe element tries to stop any new major highway here.
                              Can you say Hokulia Bypass, Allii Parkway come to mind. In short it
                              is dysfunctional county government partially responsible for our ills. But
                              there is too many divisive people here in Kona that try to stall things
                              that is at fault too.

To elaborate further on that point, there are folks who recently moved
                              here who expect things to be done instantly and bitch how bad county
                              government is. On the flip side there is all these locals and a fringe element
                              who want to stick it to the government and these malihini's who expect
                              rapid change.
                              Last edited by Aaron S; February 1, 2006, 12:42 PM.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X