"save Our Kaka'ako"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "save Our Kaka'ako"

Has not the lesson from Katrina been learned? No wrong-headed development along the shore please!
    What if a Cat 5 Hurricane directly hit Kaka'ako?
    Do you think the earth covered ash pile will just stay put?
    It would be blown all over these high rises.
    Forgotten Love Canal?
    A & B already said they are not paying for any toxic cleanup. Ash that can not even be shipped to third world countries it's so toxic.

Why is the state giving a sweetheart deal of giving away the best 3% and leaving the already overburdened taxpayers the huge bill for a toxic disaster clean-up?

Please keep this park! To sell public land on a high-density island is stealing future generation of park space.

Imagine if the Victorians didn't set aside open space during the time when pig were still being herded down Wall Street

Video is now live on Google Video. View it here.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...10668757263760

Video is now live on Google Video. View it here.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...10668757263760
    "To do is to be" - Socrates
    "To be is to do" - Plato
    "Do-be-do-be-do" - Sinatra :

Re: "save Our Kaka'ako"

http://www.kewalo.org/index2.htm

The Friends of Kewalo Basin Park Association was formed in 2005 in response to the growing issues that affect Kewalo Basin Park and the people who use it.
    "To be is to do" - Plato

Comment

Most people would call it a "victory", but the Advertiser's editorial folks called it a "setback" in their editorial today.
      The headlines says: "Kaka'ako setback may work out in long run" and the editorial includes "The Legislature's move to override a decision made by the Hawai'i Community Development Authority — an agency it established — creates a worrisome environment for future planned public/private development projects in Hawai'i."
      Worrisome to whom?!?
      They also say "The upshot of all this will be that any development of this valuable chunk of public land will be delayed for at least another year or so. That may be a small price to pay if the eventual decision is one that truly honors the public interest and makes the best use of valuable public property."
      Note that the word "valuable" is used twice.
      The property's "value" lies in not over-building it to meet some developer's financial greed over the wishes of the people.
      No matter what the Advertiser says, with their obvious bias.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Advertiser says, with their obvious bias.

The Advertiser certainly is, I agree.
        "To be is to do" - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by ptosis
          What if a Cat 5 Hurricane directly hit Kaka'ako?
          Um, then the whole island (or possibly state) would go bye bye.

Unless its was a hurricane that wa just hitting kaka'ako, then businesses would go bye bye.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            Most people would call it a "victory", but the Advertiser's editorial folks called it a "setback" in their editorial today.
            The headlines says: "Kaka'ako setback may work out in long run" and the editorial includes "The Legislature's move to override a decision made by the Hawai'i Community Development Authority — an agency it established — creates a worrisome environment for future planned public/private development projects in Hawai'i."
            Worrisome to whom?!?
            They also say "The upshot of all this will be that any development of this valuable chunk of public land will be delayed for at least another year or so. That may be a small price to pay if the eventual decision is one that truly honors the public interest and makes the best use of valuable public property."
            Note that the word "valuable" is used twice.
            The property's "value" lies in not over-building it to meet some developer's financial greed over the wishes of the people.
            No matter what the Advertiser says, with their obvious bias.

Wow, a newspaper's editorial contained an opinion? What do they think it is, the opinion page?

Last edited by MadAzza; May 5, 2006, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              Worrisome to whom?!?
              I think they say "worrisome" because this decision will encourage other such agencies to fight against future developments in other areas in the state. I'm not saying that I agree on developing Kaka'ako but it'll help deter development in other areas. Everyone's complaining about affordable housing and about the homeless but this decision will encourage other such agencies to fight against future developments in other areas in the state. This will not help the issue of affordable housing since the population of the state will continue to grow without an increase in housing. So where will everyone live? This will result in an even more increase in housing costs and monthly rents. But as long as the people fighting the development have a house to live in and can afford it without working 3 jobs, they will keep fighting. I’m more worried about where all the keiki will live if they want to remain here in the islands. But they may just follow suit and move to the mainland.
              Arturo

Comment

Personally, I think the only thing bad about the A&B plan was that they refused to clean up the arsenic and lead that was dumped there. Erase that sticking point (and I admit this was an important deal-breaker), and I think the final plans were first class all the way around. Top-notch hula ampitheater (with input from kumu hula Victoria Holt Takamine), affordable housing (only 6 of the 200 acres would have encompassed the residential portion of the project) and a beautifully landscaped waterfront. What’s not to like? I give these Save Kaka‘ako activists credit for getting involved in the political process. But I agree that the legislative bill went overboard and really should be viewed as a “setback” to the HCDA which was only trying to do its job.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                X