What can we do to help the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can we do to help the homeless?

KHON just reported the homeless problem, with some people at the state capitol rallying for support.

I know how hard it is to get a house here, because we had a couple of our houses for rent within the past few years and with our almost-lowballing rent, we still had to wait a few months until we got a tenant.

Does anyone want to raise money or organize a volunteer thing or whatever to help the homeless?

If I had the time, then I'd be helping IHS or other people cooking food, getting donations and whatnot on my own.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: What can we do to help the homeless?

Originally posted by doc1456
    If I had the time, then I'd be helping IHS or other people cooking food, getting donations and whatnot on my own.
    what can I... do to help the homeless?
    I'm too busy workin, to help prevent myself from becoming one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
      KHON just reported the homeless problem, with some people at the state capitol rallying for support.

I know how hard it is to get a house here, because we had a couple of our houses for rent within the past few years and with our almost-lowballing rent, we still had to wait a few months until we got a tenant.

Does anyone want to raise money or organize a volunteer thing or whatever to help the homeless?

Adrian, Do a search on HT. Sharon Black has her KauKau Wagon that offers Food ever Saturday in Chinatown to feed the Homeless. We've also covered many other topics regarding the Homeless from various views.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Pardon my redundancy, but...
        For anyone who's willing to spend their hard earned bucks on gas and who is in the mood for a beautiful Sunday drive, hele on out to the Waianae Coast. The new breed of homeless problem is staggering and increasing. The majority of these people are displaced by the ever increasing rents caused by the real estate boom. They are families with low income jobs, a car to get them to and from work, children in the school system and they've fallen between the governmental cracks.

Adrian, remember Auntie Lynn's wish for the children of MWH? My wish is that this new breed of homeless could have their needs met as quickly as Auntie's wish was granted. However, the problem is so big, so complex and so expensive that...well, where does one begin? At the polls, I imagine. But what do these families do in the meantime?

For those of us lucky enough to not be in that situation, a drive along Farrington Hwy. can easily make one realize that..."...there but for the grace of God...".

It's just so heartbreaking.
        Last edited by tutusue; February 1, 2006, 09:14 PM. Reason: damn typos!

Comment

The most logical way to make housing more available and more affordable is to build more of it.

Build, build, build more condos, houses and apartments. That is how you make housing more available (duh), which in turns keeps prices lower than they would be otherwise.

But every time someone wants to build, legions of well-meaning naysayers come out to protest. If any of those folks are reading this, I'd like to know, how would you solve the housing problem without building more homes?

Some will say, "Well, obviously, wages need to be higher." That's easy to say (actually, quite simplistic) for someone who doesn't own or manage a small business. So instead of just throwing out the usual easy solutions, try to imagine the unintended effect each one might have.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
            The most logical way to make housing more available and more affordable is to build more of it.

Build, build, build more condos, houses and apartments. That is how you make housing more available (duh), which in turns keeps prices lower than they would be otherwise.

But every time someone wants to build, legions of well-meaning naysayers come out to protest. If any of those folks are reading this, I'd like to know, how would you solve the housing problem without building more homes?
            Building affordable housing for those that live here is one thing. Building luxury units for those that don't is an entirely different entity.

Comment

The Politics of NO is at the root of the problem. Madazza drilled it.

Many who practice the "politics of no" are often financially stretched in the first place. By their actions, they exclude only themselves.

The unintended outcome of the "politics of NO" is that Hawaii will be preserved for only the wealthy.

If you have kids, or came from a family with children, then you are PRO-GROWTH by default, or a raving, lunatic hypocrite.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                If you have kids, or came from a family with children
                That pretty much defines everyone, unless one was a clone grown in a lab.

Comment

If you have kids, or came from a family with children, then you are PRO-GROWTH by default, or a raving, lunatic hypocrite.
                  ...das me! Auntie pUpuLe!
                  go click on my third link!!

Comment

The Politics of NO is at the root of the problem. Madazza drilled it.

Many who practice the "politics of no" are often financially stretched in the first place. By their actions, they exclude only themselves.

The unintended outcome of the "politics of NO" is that Hawaii will be preserved for only the wealthy.

A separate property tax schedule for non-residents might go some ways to help.

Any reasonable amount of growth will fall into the hands of mainland boomers and benefit working class residents none.
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

If they aren't going do anything to help themselves, why should we?
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                        Errr... because otherwise, what's civilization for?

Comment

Errr... because otherwise, what's empty politically correct, warm'n'fuzzy-but-shortsighted actions for?

Comment

alohabear, there are so many reasons why people become "Homeless!" My children and I became one of them many years ago and know the hardships of being in a homeless shelter. Two weeks of having a major stroke, my teenage children became my caregivers. We fought to get out of Homelessness and not become another statistic. We succeeded where others failed.

Yes, I totally agree that Homeless People need to make the initiative to help themselves. However, there needs to be more "Kokua" and services provided to ease the transition back for many of them. Not all are lucky as we were. Many lack the education & common sense to basic everyday survival skills.

Then there's the matter of the various types of Homeless Catagories. Yes, there are catagories. Families, Druggies, Alcoholics, Mental Illness, etc. etc.
                            Those who choose to be Homeless by choice.

Ahh..I could go on and on. However, I'll stop for now. I believe we covered all of this on another thread.

How can we help the Homeless? By giving from our hearts and not judging for one thing. By thanking the God we believe in that we are not Homeless ourselves. That we are able to cover ourselves with a blanket and stay indoors from the rain. By being in an air-conditioned room when it's hot and humid outside. By having home cooked meals and watching t.v., listening to our favorite music, going on our computer, etc. etc.

There are so much ways in which we can "Kokua" and help our fellow citizens. Make their lives a little bit brighter. It doesn't have to be money. It could be clothing, a pair of shoes, a blanket, or just a hug. Anything would do. They are not prejudice ~ and you shouldn't be too.

Aloha,

Auntie Lynn Vasquez

btw: I always give to IHS.
                            This Saturday ~ I'll be giving a bunch of clothes, shoes and misc. items to Sharon Black on the corner of Nuuanu and Hotel Street at 10:00 a.m. Anyone care to join me?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...omeless077.jpg
                            A homeless man finds privacy amongst the crowd during Thanksgiving Lunch at Sharon Black's Kaukau Feast 2005!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...omeless079.jpg
                            Only in Hawai'i?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...omeless067.jpg
                            ...yes, sadly ~ even families!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...omeless066.jpg
                            "Me" holding "Homeless Baby" so his mother can stand in line and get their food to eat Thanksgiving Lunch.
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; February 2, 2006, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Legalize squatting.

If the State Government can allow homeless to stay in designated areas and pay a sort of squatting fee that would solve a lot of space issues. These squatting fees would be used to pay for general maintenance for area community comfort stations including showers and a small office operated by a non-profit social group to oversee daily operations and maintenance of the facilities.

The State would create a division similar to the City's Parks and Recreation with a director overseeing all facility operators (non-profit organizations). The State would provide funds to ensure the facilities are properly maintained with squatting fees used to subsidize those costs.

The fees would be cheap enough for squatters to afford yet meaningful enough to keep the deadbeats out.

If this all sounds familiar then those living in boats in our many state harbors can understand that if this arrangement can work for boaters, then it can work for squatters. Basically boaters who live in their vessels at the Ala Wai Boat Harbor's pay a slip fee and can use the dock's bathroom and shower facilities to take care of daily hygenic needs.

The difference between boaters and squatters is that boaters pay to stay in one place in a boat. Squatters don't pay (because there isn't any infrastructure to allow for it) but use similar facilities as boaters to take showers and use bathrooms, plus instead of a boat, a squatter has a car.

So if the Government created an area that allows a family to park their car and set up a tent in a designated "slip" and pay a monthly slip fee you would allow people to have a place to live legally...just like boaters.

Obviously rules of conduct would apply and compliance would be strictly adhered to.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X