New exhibit of artifacts at Art Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New exhibit of artifacts at Art Academy

If you are interested in seeing some rare Hawaiian and other Polynesian artifacts from the Capt. James Cook era, go to the Honolulu Academy of Arts from Feb. 23 to May 14.

"Life in the Pacific of the 1700s: The Cook/Forster Collection of the Georg August University of Gottingen," a collection of artifacts received by British navigator James Cook either as gifts or in exchange for other items from areas visited during three Pacific trips. The collection has been away from public view since 1782..."

Since the articles were given as gifts by the local people to Capt. Cook or in exchange for other goods, they are not considered to be sacred, like the moepu in the Bishop Museum.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: New exhibit of artifacts at Art Academy

My wife and I are definitely going. Opens Feb. 23rd and runs through May 14th. Very special to be able to see these well preserved artifacts.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

And the best reason to go to this exhibit:

Cost: The museum will collect no admission fees during the exhibition's run.

Comment

article in today's paper:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/02/19/news/story04.html
        looks like a very time worthy exhibit.

(wish da dagblasted journalists would buy a frikkin thesaurus...)

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing this exhibit today for free during the Academyof Art Family Sunday today. I'm also looking forward to seeing Monet's "Port-Goulphar, Belle-Ile 1887" on loan in Gallery 10 thru May.

Oops, forgot the exhibit doesn't start until next week. Oh well, got to see the Monet one at least! :-)
          Last edited by AbsolutChaos; February 19, 2006, 03:15 PM.

Comment

We're going tomarrow! Since we live just up the hill, we're going to walk down early. Yes I know this is the first Saturday and there's time, but that's part of the fun,eh. Should meet some interesting people and have a good time.

Comment

My wife and I very much enjoyed our morning together. The "Life in the Pacific of the 1700s" exhibit is wonderful! Don't miss it. I enjoyed the Kapa ponchos and various skirts. My wife's favorite were the purses. The wooden spears and other weapons of war, like clubs and 'bows and arrows' were impressive. My favorite was the Tongan floor mats, such intriquite designs.

We also went to the India room and there's a piece of carved marble from the 3rd century. Wow! We found an area dedicated to Egypt and had fun playing dress up and getting our names written in Hieroglyphics.

Since it's free for awhile, I'll be back to explore more.

Comment

I went again yesterday with both my Godkids, Girl- 12 and Boy- 8. They didn't go to school so I 'Cultured' them abit. We had a blast. Her fav was the carved Jade in the Japanese exhibit, while his was the large cow head sculpture of "Nandhi" from India. I think mine is the 40' long polynesian fishing net. The amount of workhours spent to create it is amazing to me.
                Note: The Egyptian room is only open to the public on weekends, just school groups throughout the week. We'll just have to go back, eh? Also there's no picture taking within any gallery, but you can take photos in the courtyards.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  If you are interested in seeing some rare Hawaiian and other Polynesian artifacts from the Capt. James Cook era, go to the Honolulu Academy of Arts from Feb. 23 to May 14.

"Life in the Pacific of the 1700s: The Cook/Forster Collection of the Georg August University of Gottingen," a collection of artifacts received by British navigator James Cook either as gifts or in exchange for other items from areas visited during three Pacific trips. The collection has been away from public view since 1782..."

Miulang
                  Just a reminder... May 14th is the last day!
                  With different people, I have been there 3 times now. Of course checking out the whole museum along with this exhibit. Go for it gang!

Comment

I went again today with my Mother and my good/now best friend Denis. We had a terrific time. I BooBoo'd and didn't realise that the Museum doesn't open till 1pm. on Sundays, so we enjoyed the craft faire in Thomas Square for awhile till then. Great save, eh?!

BTW: They're closed on Mondays in case you were considering it.

Comment

The "Free Sunday" coming up is August 19th.
                      The Academy of Arts is open from 11am (instead of 1pm) till 5pm.
                      Here's a link to the dates for the rest of this year.
                      http://www.honoluluacademy.org/cmsha...ex.aspx?id=514

Comment

Working...
                      X