Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello from New Jersey!

I've been posting on your lovely website for a couple of weeks now, and thought that I should officially introduce myself. So hello

My husband and I are planning on moving to Hawaii in about three years. I've been doing research on Hawaii (for the last 3 years!), as far has moving there, its culture, history and anything else I can gobble up via the interweb and bookstores.

We've not yet visited, but plan to do so, with a trip occuring some time this year...probably in August, which is before I start my fall semester. I decided to go back to school in 2004 for Computer Science and am working towards a bachelor of science in that field. My husband is a union electrician and has been for about 9 years now.

With all the research I've been doing on your state, we figured it was time to see for ourselves the beauty of the islands. Rather than just read about it, it's time to experience it first hand.

Re: Hello

i feel slightly disheartened...39 or so page views and not a single 'aloha'.

have i stumbled upon an exclusive group? as i do not wish to intrude...

Comment

Originally posted by flying snow

Aloha and Welcome to Hawaii Threads.com

It's been a busy week with the Super Bowl, First Friday, and other tid bits going on. Once again, welcome dear.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Eye thank ewe kindly, Auntie Lynn.

Aaah, First Fridays are much fun. As for football...not a fan, which for many I'm sure is a crazy thought. lol.

Comment

I will also wish you aloha. I do have a question though: if you have never even visited here, why are you thinking of moving here? Our cost of living is very high, affordable housing is practically non-existent, jobs are limited and traffic is terrible. If you are planning to buy a home, the prices are through the roof. Do you have friends or family here? do you have jobs to come to?
          Do you have children that will need to be placed in schools? There are many things to think about before making a major move like this would be. You would be coming to an entirely different culture & lifestyle that is sometimes difficult for folks from the continent to understand or adjust to.

I do not intend this posting to be unfriendly and I'm not trying to discourage you. Nor is this an "exclusive" group. It is very much what Auntie Lynn said - there have been a lot of distractions these past few days

I hope when you come on vacation this summer that you will let folks here know so that maybe we can meet you, show you around and answer questions.

Welcome!
          Fran
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by flying snow

Please don't mistake the inital lack of response on your note as a sign of being un-welcomed here.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
              I will also wish you aloha. I do have a question though: if you have never even visited here, why are you thinking of moving here? Our cost of living is very high, affordable housing is practically non-existent, jobs are limited and traffic is terrible. If you are planning to buy a home, the prices are through the roof. Do you have friends or family here? do you have jobs to come to?
              Do you have children that will need to be placed in schools? There are many things to think about before making a major move like this would be. You would be coming to an entirely different culture & lifestyle that is sometimes difficult for folks from the continent to understand or adjust to.

Welcome!
              Fran

During the last ten years we have set and modified various goals regarding our future. My husband's career as a union electrician allows us the relative freedom to move about the country, while maintaining a certain standard of living. As for me, computer science affords me the opportunity to pursue several jobs within my field.

Five years ago our ambitions of relocating to Washington or Oregon jumped about 3000 miles west after an innocent dinner conversation. Thus began my interest, and soon to follow research of Hawaii. The last three years of hobby-like research has made me aware of the ups and downs of island life.

Family planning has kept us without children, until we are both decidedly ready (I'm in school!) and have found our permanent home. Isolation from the mainland is appealing to both of us, as 'back east' is only a plane ride away. Our open door policy towards family and friends will provide comfortable and free lodging in paradise.

And as to why we want to move to Hawaii...65-85 degrees year around. I'd take that with 4 inch roaches, earthquakes, tsunamis, and anything else mother nature can throw at us over being cold any day!

Comment

Working...
              X