Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Talent, Inc - Anyone Familiar w/ Them??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Talent, Inc - Anyone Familiar w/ Them??

World Talent, Inc down on Kapiolani Blvd. Has anyone here dealt with them? They did an open casting call for kids this weekend, looking for kids for television shows, commercials and print ads.

Bottom line I'm wondering if they are legitimate or is this all a big scam?

Thanks!

Re: World Talent, Inc - Anyone Familiar w/ Them??

Did you find anything out about this company?

Comment

They must be sorta legitimate because they are members of the Honolulu Better Business Bureau. The only slightly fishy thing is if you go to their website, www.worldtalent.com, you won't come up with any info on that company per se. Could be that they are fairly new and haven't got their website up and running (or they aren't using that URL because it says that domain name is for sale). You could also call the State Office of Consumer Protection to see if there are any complaints filed against this company.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; March 14, 2006, 04:42 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Um, that domain is just a web squatter in D.C., Miulang. I'd imagine there's a company named "World Talent" in dozens of cities.

I'm not familiar with the local company, but they don't seem to be a fly-by-night. In addition to the BBB reference, I've found listings of various events they've sponsored or participated in (from BayFest to Ala Moana Center), a couple of references in local papers (Kyra Poppler was once associated with them), job listings at Craigslist, photographer profiles and references at MySpace...

Ah. The Craigslist listings revealed a domain name, which reveals their actual website: http://www.worldtalentinc.com. Some information to determine their credibilility there, from past jobs to a note from president Vitek Gillar.

Comment

Ask Jdub. I think they screwed with him about two-three years ago!
          @
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

As a former model and father of former child models, I would be suspicious of any company asking for money in exchange for modeling and/or acting opportunities. The Tyra Banks Show just had a show about this topic. She stressed that "legitimate" agencies do not ask for money when they agree to represent talent.
            Originally posted by Brazen
            World Talent, Inc down on Kapiolani Blvd. Has anyone here dealt with them? They did an open casting call for kids this weekend, looking for kids for television shows, commercials and print ads.

Bottom line I'm wondering if they are legitimate or is this all a big scam?
            These scams are not new. They will bait parents with big promises that are all lies, and take as much money as they can- often from people who cannot afford it in the first place! There is no conscience or Aloha involved- just greed.

Comment

World Talent continues to be a great experience for our 7-year-old daughter. She has been taking acting and modeling classes at World Talent for a little more than a year now; this is her first experience to this industry. In addition to teaching our daughter the basics of acting and modeling, these classes have also proven beneficial in enhancing her self-confidence and self-image.

World Talent gives our daughter the opportunity to meet and audition for casting directors, producers and directors from the mainland. (see www.worldtalentinc.com) And although she has not received any callbacks yet, she understands that, like other actresses and models, going to auditions is just something you do if you want to "make it" in the industry. She learns from each audition and improves.

Tidbit: Parents must be proactive; ask questions to Vitek, the President, and Whitney, the Vice President. They are more than willing to answer any question you may have.

Our daughter says that she's learning a lot from her classes, she likes her instructors, and loves the friends she's making at World Talent. More importantly, this is what she enjoys doing.

Our experience with World Talent has only been a positive one.

Comment

I just Googled them because I received a spam phone call. The connection was bad, I asked them to speak more clearly, and they hung up.

So I googled the phone number and found this discussion thread. I have no idea why they would call me, since I'm not a young talent, nor have any kids. Random calling is a bad sign, don't you think?

Comment

I've intentionally stayed out of this thread and will not answer any questions, either in this forum or via PM.

My one and only piece of sagely advise is...If anyone gets solicited by a company purporting to be in the entertainment industry, always, Always, ALWAYS research that company BEFORE committing time, money or a signature. Call the BBB and the Office of Consumer Protection. Do your homework. If it sounds too good to be true it almost always is. If pressure is applied using a deadline, walk away from it. Registering with a local talent agent should cost nothing. Acting and modeling classes do cost money...sometimes a whole lot! There is a difference between signing with a talent agent and signing up for classes.

And a caveat: Even reputable agents and casting directors can approach people in public places; malls, restaurants and the like. This usually happens when a big project is in and we're looking beyond our files. Still, it can be dicey! I rarely, if ever, do 'street casting' anymore. Times have changed. Not only does the public have a reason to be wary of being approached but we in the business also need to be wary as we have no idea as to the background of the people we might approach.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Tutusue, over and out!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    I've intentionally stayed out of this thread and will not answer any questions, either in this forum or via PM.

My one and only piece of sagely advise is...If anyone gets solicited by a company purporting to be in the entertainment industry, always, Always, ALWAYS research that company BEFORE committing time, money or a signature. Call the BBB and the Office of Consumer Protection. Do your homework. If it sounds too good to be true it almost always is. If pressure is applied using a deadline, walk away from it. Registering with a local talent agent should cost nothing. Acting and modeling classes do cost money...sometimes a whole lot! There is a difference between signing with a talent agent and signing up for classes.

And a caveat: Even reputable agents and casting directors can approach people in public places; malls, restaurants and the like. This usually happens when a big project is in and we're looking beyond our files. Still, it can be dicey! I rarely, if ever, do 'street casting' anymore. Times have changed. Not only does the public have a reason to be wary of being approached but we in the business also need to be wary as we have no idea as to the background of the people we might approach.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Tutusue, over and out!
                    If I were anyone... I would take Tutue's advice.

K...now tutue... stay away from this thread like I stay away from the advice thread that I don't like!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      If I were anyone... I would take Tutue's advice.

K...now tutue... stay away from this thread like I stay away from the advice thread that I don't like!
                      Oh, I'll keep reading it! It has nothing to do with like or dislike! I'm just not gonna name names, rank reputations or recommend one agent over another. Under any circumstances!

Comment

I've dabbled in this stuff, and I have to just echo the advice. I would avoid anyone who asks you for money, and I'd even avoid those agencies which require you to use their photographers.

Comment

Here's my conversation with them:
                          WT: Hello, how are you?
                          Me: Good, but you're calling me at work, why?
                          WT: (Totally ignoring my question) Have you heard of World Talent, Inc?
                          Me: I missed that, your reception is bad. What was that?
                          WT: Have you heard of us?
                          Me: Who?
                          WT: World Talent, Inc
                          Me: Oh, yeah, I heard you guys were a scam.
                          WT: *hangs up*

Comment

These guys called my cell phone tonight - highly illegal for telemarketers. They told me they were randomly calling number.

I've filed a complaint with the FTC and I encourage anyone else with a similar experience to do the same.

https://www.donotcall.gov/Complain/ComplainCheck.aspx

They might be a legitmate company, but they certainly do not understand the laws regulating telemarketing.

Comment

Registering with a local talent agent should cost nothing. Acting and modeling classes do cost money...sometimes a whole lot! There is a difference between signing with a talent agent and signing up for classes.
                              Exactly - World Talent isn't asking for money in exchange for "modeling opportunities" as one other poster put it. They charge for training/professional photos - training packages differ, but even the lowest package includes coaching every week for a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X