Colleges across Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colleges across Hawai'i

Living on a neighbor isle, my family doesn't have the same chances as O'ahu kids to see what the higher ed institutions there are all about. My eldest is still a few years away, and I would like to know:

-who are those schools? (I know UHM, BYU, HPU and Chaminade. What else get?) Why would one chose this vs the other, and how about that tuition?

-my kid really likes the sensibility of the Heald College commercials. Anyone has the skinny on that school?

I know we can go onto their websites, but does anyone here have personal experiences? Thank you for your feedback. This will help us plan out our routes when we go to HNL on a college search.

(and no, the kid doesn't want to go to the mainland right after h.s. Big city HNL will be a good start for her).

pax

Re: Colleges across Hawai'i

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    Living on a neighbor isle, my family doesn't have the same chances as O'ahu kids to see what the higher ed institutions there are all about. My eldest is still a few years away, and I would like to know:

-who are those schools? (I know UHM, BYU, HPU and Chaminade. What else get?) Why would one chose this vs the other, and how about that tuition?

-my kid really likes the sensibility of the Heald College commercials. Anyone has the skinny on that school?

I know we can go onto their websites, but does anyone here have personal experiences? Thank you for your feedback. This will help us plan out our routes when we go to HNL on a college search.

(and no, the kid doesn't want to go to the mainland right after h.s. Big city HNL will be a good start for her).
    I transfered from HawCC on the Big Island directly into UH Manoa with an Liberal Arts Degree.

UH Hilo did not have any programs I was interested in.

I was able to transfer into UH Manoa as a Junior (being that I had the Liberal Arts Degree from a two year school w/in the UH system)

I then finished UH Manoa in 2 years with a Bachelors Degree.

I would not suggest going to a school such as Heald or Remmington... Unless your child does not have a High School Diploma.

I would suggest starting out at a Community College... getting the Liberal Arts Degree... and then transfering to either UH Hilo or UH Manoa....(if your child wanted to stay locally)

This financially may also be your best bet also.

Many people may look down upon Community Colleges... however, once you get past that level and move onto the 4 year school....there really is no difference....

Well here is a difference... If you graduate from a Community College and then transfer up to a 4 year school..... YOU GET TWO GRAD PARTIES instead of just the one if you were to stay at a 4 year school the entire time.

Comment

There is also UH West O'ahu, which gets very little press because they still don't have their own campus yet -- they're using the Leeward Community College facilities until their Kapolei campus gets built.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
        Oh boy. I'm attending Heald ATM and lets just say that it needs a bigger building.

There's a lot of students during the day, ranging from Electronics Technology, to Information Tech, Medical (nursing and dental) Business and accounting (I think that's all). here's the website.

The deans are pretty cool (one of them will seem like to get on your behind when you're in first quarter, but I think that's a medical condition) and will be helpful if you ask them questions. The teachers are all professionals, atleast working in their field atleast for a few years.

If you don't like to wear polo/aloha shirts everyday, then its not the school for you. Every wednesdays males need to wear ties and females will wear stockings. Every month though, we have a dress down day where we pay $2 to dress down (the most relaxed we went, were shirts, shorts and slippers [but not for ET/medical people]).

Most people hit the beach or shop @ Ala Moana/Walmart during the breaks, so its pretty relaxed. And here's a secret: you're marked present even if you arrive 5 minutes before the end of class. If you don't show up at all, then its considered an absence. But you do get a max of 3 absences for each class.

If you have any other questions about Heald, then just PM me.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I would have to say it all depends on what your child wants to major in? Depending on the field every school has a lot to offer. An example is my field, Food service . I would not sent them to Hilo's HCC, but if they wanted to stay on the Big island West Hawaii's program is better. KCC on O'ahu has a good program too. Another example is if they wanted to major in something to do with the Volcano, the Hilo college program is closer than the other islands.

Good Luck
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Working...
          X