King Kamehameha's Club?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Kamehameha's Club?!

ok, here we go; We hear of a big club that opened in Frankfurt Germany calling itself the "King Kamehameha club"
    ok, kama'aina...
    What're yer thoughts on it?

http://www.king-kamehameha.de

Re: King Kamehameha's Club?!

I don't read German, but from the photos it looks like a pricey nightclub. What's the big deal? Because they use the name of Kamehameha? *shrug*

Comment

ok, that's an interesting bit of pithy insight... now let's take the microphone over here...

Comment

Maybe you should start up a "Kaiser Wilhelm's Bar" in Honolulu.

It's hard to know where the line-of-offensiveness stands. Kamehameha occupies a special place in the hearts of kama`aina, but most of the world sees him as just another historical figure, like Queen Victoria, Napoleon Bonaparte, or Tokugawa Ieyasu.

Now, what about all those "Buddha Bar" locations around the world --- where's "Mohammed's Lounge" or "The Jesus Club" or "Zoroaster's Cave"?

Comment

I sense another "Kahuna" flap brewing...

Though I will say, appropriation of a Hawaiian word, a noun, would definitely seem to be on a different level than a personage, a historical figure, a real person and his name.

Looks pretty swanky. I guess the exotic, hard to pronounce name supposedly adds to the mystique.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            Maybe you should start up a "Kaiser Wilhelm's Bar" in Honolulu.

It's hard to know where the line-of-offensiveness stands. Kamehameha occupies a special place in the hearts of kama`aina, but most of the world sees him as just another historical figure, like Queen Victoria, Napoleon Bonaparte, or Tokugawa Ieyasu.

Now, what about all those "Buddha Bar" locations around the world --- where's "Mohammed's Lounge" or "The Jesus Club" or "Zoroaster's Cave"?
            I don't put Kamehameha Pai'ea in the same category as these cats. Nowhere in the good book does it say that Jesus could catch spears thrown at him. Or that he threw people off the Pali. Or into Iao stream.**

This is what I say to dem Germans: if they can pronounce the good King's name CORRECTLY, they can name their bar in honor of him. But the decor's gotta go, because looking at that pic, you can tell there's a whole lotta moepu buried in it

**No offense to Jesus.

pax

Comment

It looks like the "Tiki Culture" finally reached Europe.... this is in deed the End of Days.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                if they can pronounce the good King's name CORRECTLY, they can name their bar in honor of him.
                That's the wisest suggestion I've heard in a long time! (Hints to Germany: be sure to pronounce the "h"s - and don't abbreviate it to "Kam's.")

Comment

I don't put Kamehameha Pai'ea in the same category as these cats. Nowhere in the good book does it say that Jesus could catch spears thrown at him. Or that he threw people off the Pali. Or into Iao stream.**
                  Well, he drove swine off a cliff, does that count?

And sure he could catch spears. Right in his side.

*ducks and runs*

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    That's the wisest suggestion I've heard in a long time! (Hints to Germany: be sure to pronounce the "h"s - and don't abbreviate it to "Kam's.")
                    stop giving hints, Leo!

After clicking around their website, it appears that Germany has some interesting cultural things going on. The music is NY club dance. The broads can't dance. And there isn't anything tiki about that bar.

pax

Comment

if they can pronounce the good King's name CORRECTLY, they can name their bar in honor of him.
                      but.... they do not do this to honor Kamehameha. They do it as a nod to magnum P.I's haunts in the 80's show.
                      To honor a Hawaiian was not among their intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        Well, he drove swine off a cliff, does that count?

And sure he could catch spears. Right in his side.

*ducks and runs*
                        ...and he runs right into hell.

pax

Comment

stop giving hints, Leo!
                          No need worry --- it'll still come out sounding like "came-hommy-haha."

Comment

"hey. YOO look lahk uh low kull.
                            HOW ya get to thuh Kammy hammee Haah statue!?"

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              but.... they do not do this to honor Kamehameha. They do it as a nod to magnum P.I's haunts in the 80's show.
                              To honor a Hawaiian was not among their intentions.
                              I don't even think they had Magnum on their minds. It must sound nifty rolling off their tongues, 'sall. The bar has nothing in it suggesting motif from this side of the planet (pop, contemporary, kitsch, native or otherwise). Its a lounge for vampires.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X