Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will win the Best Hawaiian Album Grammy this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will win the Best Hawaiian Album Grammy this year?

The Grammy Awards will be announced Wednesday night, Feb. 8 - just enough time for a quick poll; who will win?
    Slack Key Dreams Of The Ponomoe - Kapono Beamer
    9.09%
    Sweet & Lovely - Raiatea Helm
    27.27%
    Kiho'alu - Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar - Ledward Ka'apana
    36.36%
    Slack Key Guitar: The Artistry Of Sonny Lim - Sonny Lim
    0.00%
    Masters Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, v.1 (Various); Ho/Konwiser/Wong, producers
    27.27%

The poll is expired.

Re: Who will win the Best Hawaiian Album Grammy this year?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    The Grammy Awards will be announced Wednesday night, Feb. 8 - just enough time for a quick poll; who will win?
    My personal pick would be Raiatea Helm, but your question isn't who we want to win but who we think will win, so from that standpoint I think Ledward Ka`apana will win it, mostly because he has more name recognition to the mainland Grammy voters than the others do.
    Darned shame the Hawai`i award won't be televised. Can't you just picture Ledward up in front of all those Hollyweird stars, with that great giggle of his? They'd love him.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui

Can't you just picture Ledward up in front of all those Hollyweird stars, with that great giggle of his? They'd love him.
      I agree. Ledward, amazing talent and astounding instrumentalist that he is, comes across with absolutely no airs; just his pure Hawaiian charming self. Da buggah cracks me up.

Comment

Ledward.

Aunty Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
          no airs; just his pure Hawaiian charming self. Da buggah cracks me up.
          And here's another reason it would be fun if Ledward won and if they televised it: can't you just picture the audience trying to understand Led's heavy pidgin? The expressions on the faces in the crowd would be hilarious!

Comment

"Masters" will win. More bang for the Mainland folk category voter's buck. And Led is on it, too.

It'd be great to read about (since the award won't be televised) George Kahumoku and Led taking the stage with the producers.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
              Ledward.

Aunty Lynn
              Auntie... I know I mentioned this before....Heheheheh...

Ledward and Nedward are my wifes uncles...(and they are cousins with the late Dennis Pavao)

Damn... my wife has one big family...Most sprung from the Puna district on the Big Island...Dating back to the 1800's!!!

So needless to say you know where my vote went

Comment

Originally posted by mediababy67
                "Masters" will win. More bang for the Mainland folk category voter's buck. And Led is on it, too.

It'd be great to read about (since the award won't be televised) George Kahumoku and Led taking the stage with the producers.
                yeah I know... can i attatch this post to the What pisses you off thread?

Comment

I haven't even heard the album, but I'd like to think Raiatea has a chance simply because now the "slack key" vote is split. (Last year, I think, the slack key album - instrumental, various artists, no Hawaiian language - was the exception.) But I have a sinking feeling we're going to see another "compilation album" take the top spot this year.

Comment

your question isn't who we want to win but who we think will win
                    That's the key difference. I won't say who I voted for (as a NARAS member), but just like last year and as in all categories, I vote for who I feel is most deserving of the award, not who I think is most likely to win. This year, I suspect the one I voted for will not win.

Comment

SPOILER ALERT!!!
                      Do NOT read ahead, if you want to be surprised tonight.

The winner has been announced (as it was presented in a ceremony this afternoon) --- it's the "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, Volume 1" compilation.

Comment

Your source was 10 minutes faster than mine. <high five>
                        I'm surprised at the outcome, and expect to hear much moaning and groaning about it.
                        And tomorrow, after everyone knows the result, let's have a little discussion about what this year's winner means vis-a-vis last year's winner and how the two wins will influence future Grammy nominees.

Comment

And tomorrow, after everyone knows the result, let's have a little discussion about what this year's winner means vis-a-vis last year's winner and how the two wins will influence future Grammy nominees.
                          Ah...why wait? My "spoiler alert" won't stop anyone from reading the posting. Nothing has changed from last year's circumstances, and if I may, here's what I wrote about it last year: http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/greggmarch05.htm
                          But I still send my congratulations to the winners.

Comment

Since I didn't set the poll to close at the right time, and it's still open until tomorrow afternoon, here's the results (in case they get skewed now that the announcement's been made):

Led Ka`apana - 4
                            Raiatea Helm; Masters - 3 each
                            Kapono Beamer - 1
                            Sonny Lim - 0

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                              Ah...why wait?
                              Well, one reason is because I just noticed that your "post count" here is at 666 and since that's the sign of the devil...
                              But seriously. I wonder about the fact that both year's winners were compilation albums. Makes me wonder if the Grammy voters were just lazy and took the safe way out, or... ?
                              I don't have the one that won today, so to anyone who does have it -- can you please tell me/us how many of the songs on it are strictly instrumental and how many have vocals? And of those with vocals, how many are sung in Hawaiian?
                              Thanks.

But I still send my congratulations to the winners.
                              I agree. Absolutely!

Comment

Working...
                              X