Winter Olympics Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Olympics Games

Well on Friday it starts , What sports (if any) are you going to watch?

I myself loved Luge, Bobsled, and Skeleton, also the Snowboarding and Speed skating.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Winter Olympics Games

I think this is the list of sports: Alpine Skiing, Biathlon, Bobsleigh, Cross-country Skiing, Curling, Figure Skating, Freestyle Skiing, Ice Hockey, Luge, Nordic Combined, Short Track, Skeleton, Ski Jumping, Snowboard, Speed Skating.

Figure skating is where all the melodrama will be (Kwan v. Cohen! Russian Sweep!). Luge and Skeleton are just something else to watch (insanity must be a prerequisite to compete!) Hockey is probably the closest thing to a "conventional sport" folks will have. And I'm guessing my wife will be tuning in to Short Track for this dude.

I'm more appreciative of the skill/endurance sports than the artistic ones, but also know those are generally less fun to watch for most.

Comment

Alpine skiing is the most scenic.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

BOBSLEIGH!!!! YA' MON!

I really wish they would show more!

Comment

I saw last night that thier is no women ski jumping event yet and they were showing a group of young ladies who really could fly. It's a shame this is still a male only sport.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

My heart skips a beat whenever I think about that cutie Apolo Anton Ohno (he's from Seattle!) on his skates flying around the ice track. I bet he wins a few more medals this Olympics.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; February 10, 2006, 01:16 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I really like the Winter Olympics. My favorites are figure skating, biathlon, and downhill skiing. I also love Olympic hockey, because the larger rink and different rules (especially the no-touch icing rule) lead to longer periods of play and more action.

I was lucky enough to go to the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City and I had a blast. I went to some hockey games and a medals ceremony. It's a miracle I remember anything because the party atmosphere was really crazy!

Funny story: I had been unemployed for 5 months prior to the 2002 Olympics, and several weeks prior to the start of the games I bought hockey tickets (not cheap) and made arrangements to stay with a friend in SLC, figuring there was no way I'd get a job in the next two weeks after months of fruitless searching.

Sure enough, a week before I was to leave for SLC, I had a series of interviews with a company that I wasn't too excited about, and they made me an offer. The catch? They wanted me to start when I was scheduled to be at the Olympics! I made up some excuse about having to travel to visit my grandparents in Wyoming and they - grudgingly - let me start a week later. I was terrified because I'd never been one to make up excuses and "play hooky" for any reason, but I figured, hey, it was only a week's delay and they'd never find out anyway.

Imagine my surprise when one night in SLC I took a light rail to a hockey game in Provo and at one of the stops, MY NEW BOSS got on the light rail! I covered my face with my parka and hoped she didn't see me. Thankfully she didn't, and I was free to start work the following Monday, as she regaled us all with tales of the Olympics.

Turns out I should have blown off the job completely, as it was, by far, the worst job I've ever had. But that's a whole other story!

Comment

I am a sucker for the Games.

I agree with Pz, and have a slight disdain for sports where the winners and losers are determined by judges, but I have to say that although I am no fan of figure skating, Michelle Kwan is the first skater who ever brought tears to my eyes. I simply cannot believe the grace and beauty she communicates when she glides over the ice.

However, I watch it all. If it's the Olympics, and it's on TV, I am watching it. It seems corny, but I love the the Olympic ideal, that on the playing fields, we can forget about political and religious differences and meet each other as friends.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Rather than post the links, I'll just send you over to my place, where I put up some to the NBC main site and its Olympic blog.

Comment

Anyone got Oceanic's digital cable? There's supposed to be a station that lets you watch four different Olympic feeds at the same time. Perfect if you get ADD...

Comment

i agree that watching ohno in the short track will be very interesting. don't know how much of it is made up by the press, but they're playing up the idea that there's a bitter/hostile rivalry between ohno and the s. koreans over ohno getting the gold when a s. korean was disqualified at the 02 olympics.

whether it's true or not, i'll be very interested in seeing how he does.

also of interest to me will be the downhill. when i lived in japan, i lived smack dab in the middle of a skiers paradise (i could easily get to around 20 different skiing places within a 2 hour radius) and grew to love downhill skiing...
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                        Anyone got Oceanic's digital cable? There's supposed to be a station that lets you watch four different Olympic feeds at the same time. Perfect if you get ADD...
                        That would be Digital 200. You get four feeds, alright, but they're actually MSNBC, NBC, CNBC, and USA. If they're all showing the Olympics you'll see four Olympic feeds, but if not, then you'll see whatever is normally programmed on the ones that don't have the Olympics on at the moment.

Digital 201 is an Olympic schedule sorted by those digital channels, which is kinda useful. It's white-on-blue text and it doesn't scroll very well, but nonetheless...

Comment

Michelle's pulled out of the Games, based on a recommendation the doctors made re her groin injury. She was all class when she made the announcement this morning, though. I'm sure when she's all healed up, she'll turn pro and will make uckapila money with Stars on Ice or one of those ice shows. At 25, she wasn't expected to do much at the Olympics anyway, since all of the other skaters are way younger than she is. What a depressing thought...washed up at age 25!

Apolo's first stint on the ice is this evening. I can hardly wait. I think the press is having a field day re the supposed hatred between Apolo and the South Korean skaters. He's a pretty laid back dude, so I'm sure he's only worried about doing his best tonight.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I have to disagree with your thought that she wasn't expected to do much. Everything I've read suggested she was a serious medal contender.

Her disappointment has to be huge. Three Games: a silver and a bronze and a washout due to injury.
                            Last edited by Linkmeister; February 12, 2006, 09:39 AM. Reason: Add'l thought

Comment

although the short track will be televised this evening, the event's already over and if you don't mind a spoiler, you can see what happened here:

http://www.torino2006.org/ENG/Olympi...eng160795.html
                              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                              X