Dept. of Education's Phone Directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dept. of Education's Phone Directory

I just noticed that the DOE's 2006 Phone directory actually shows a picture of a private school student (Kamehameha)

(There are 3 pictures and the picture on the bottom right shows a x-country runner w/ her Kamehameha uniform)

Just thought that this was pretty funny considering how Private Schools don't want anything to do with Public Schools yet they feature a Private school student on the Cover of the direcory.

Re: Dept. of Education's Phone Directory

Does it say Kamehameha on the uniform or was she wearing the school colors of Kamehameha on it?

Assuming it's only the school colors that possibilty exist that a school on one of the other islands might have the same colors as Kamehameha. By the way what are the school colors of Kamehameha?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      Does it say Kamehameha on the uniform or was she wearing the school colors of Kamehameha on it?

Assuming it's only the school colors that possibilty exist that a school on one of the other islands might have the same colors as Kamehameha. By the way what are the school colors of Kamehameha?
      It says Kamehame (and the rest of the jersey is folded over the last 2 letters)

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        It says Kamehame
        Oh yeah - that's Kamehame (pron. "kammie-hamm") Kollege in the Faroe Islands, isn't it?

School song:
        Kamehame,
        Kamehame,
        From the fair ol' Faroes;
        If you can't
        Say our name,
        You'll ne'er be one o' our heroes.

(There haven't been any music schools in the Faroes since the year 1143.
        Can you tell?)

Comment

Is this an online site, or an actual, physical paper publication? I'd love to see the cover for myself.

Comment

If I had to guess it's a paper publication.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              Is this an online site, or an actual, physical paper publication? I'd love to see the cover for myself.
              an actual physcial paper publication that is put out every year.

However here is a PDF FILE OF THE SAME THING

This years had 155 pages....

http://doe.k12.hi.us/directorybook2006.pdf

There you go... funny though... the pdf file... the Kamehameha looks a little more fuzzy then the actual print of the book

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                an actual physcial paper publication that is put out every year.

However here is a PDF FILE OF THE SAME THING

This years had 155 pages....

http://doe.k12.hi.us/directorybook2006.pdf

There you go... funny though... the pdf file... the Kamehameha looks a little more fuzzy then the actual print of the book
                Thanks for the PDF.

Considering that the other cross-country runners in the photo have jerseys that read "Waiakea" (Waiakea High School) and "Vikings" (Hilo High School), I would guess that the photo was taken at a Big Island Interscholastic Federation track meet. They don't have separate public and private school leagues over there, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Thanks for the PDF.

Considering that the other cross-country runners in the photo have jerseys that read "Waiakea" (Waiakea High School) and "Vikings" (Hilo High School), I would guess that the photo was taken at a Big Island Interscholastic Federation track meet. They don't have separate public and private school leagues over there, I think.
                  I realize where the picture could have been taken at... that wasn't really my point.

My thought was it just goes to show you how the Public Education System works here in Hawaii...

The one Directory that will probably be seen by the most staff at DOE basically shows a child from a non-doe school.

If you were to take a survey of high ranking people employed by DOE, that have kids that are in school now... I believe that you would find about 60 - 70% of them send their kids to Private Schools.

I guess I just think there are so many other pictures that they could have used... however, I just think it's a bad reflection upon the DOE and that they should have featured at least ONLY Children that are from PUBLIC SCHOOLS considering it was our tax money that funded the publication.

Comment

I could agree with you if the picture only showed the student from Kamehameha, but the photo shows 4 other girls in the race. Three of which for sure are from public high schools. I really don't see a problem here with this photo.

Comment

On one hand, I would hope that our DOE has more important things to worry about than the pictures on the cover of its phone book. They seem pretty randomly selected, from a variety of sources, used basically as "clip art" to show "school scenes," nothing more, nothing less.

On the other hand, I wonder who took the pictures, where they came from, and whether the appropriate permissions were sought from the subjects (or their parents, I'd imagine) prior to publication. Because they look so random - like friends of the graphic designer just handed over some personal photos. I could even do a quick Google Image search for "hawaii school" and get lots of pictures that could work. But I couldn't use any of them.

If you're going to worry about the details, that's what I'd focus on. Lost of people are very sensitive about clearances, especially when minors are involved.

Example... A news cameraperson showed up at my daughter's school years ago for a series of school profiles. All parents got releases to sign. She did appear in the final profile... as well as in an unrelated education poster that I still see around town now and then.
                      Last edited by pzarquon; February 14, 2006, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                        Oh yeah - that's Kamehame (pron. "kammie-hamm") Kollege in the Faroe Islands, isn't it?
                        Y'know, there actually is a Kamehame Ridge, out by Hawai'i Kai behind Koko Crater on the way to Kalama Valley.

Comment

I think the DOE should have chosen another picture to represent public schools. The fact remains the same regardless of how you try to minimize this: A private school name was displayed on a public school's directory.

With Photo Shop anyone could have blurred out that wording.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            I think the DOE should have chosen another picture to represent public schools. The fact remains the same regardless of how you try to minimize this: A private school name was displayed on a public school's directory.

With Photo Shop anyone could have blurred out that wording.
                            agreed 100%

Comment

Working...
                            X