Whats up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats up!

Hi just thought I'd introduce myself. I was born and raised on maui and jus moved up to portland (after graduatiing from college) not too long ago (like 5 months ago)I like talking story and so my mom forwarded this too me cuz I was really homesick (3 months of no sun will do that to a girl). Anyways, I was starting to feel like i was losing my local roots cuz I wouldn't even speak pidgin anymore but this place kinda takes me back to hawaii and lets me wala'au about the hot(and not so hot) topics.

Re: Whats up!

Howzit! Take some time and read some of the archived threads; we talk about all kine stuff.

Comment

Aloha and Welcome to Hawaii Threads.com! I love your screen name!heheheh
      See you on the boards!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Welcome! Hope the talkstory here helps fend off the homesickness.

What led you to Portland? On the few occasions I've been demented enough to consider leaving home, Portland's been on the short list. Several friends headed there, and I've visited and found it cool, beautiful, and somehow cozy. Not a big city, nor a small one, just nice.

Of course, I know I'd miss Hawaii, even Honolulu, too much.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Welcome! Hope the talkstory here helps fend off the homesickness.

What led you to Portland? On the few occasions I've been demented enough to consider leaving home, Portland's been on the short list. Several friends headed there, and I've visited and found it cool, beautiful, and somehow cozy. Not a big city, nor a small one, just nice.

Of course, I know I'd miss Hawaii, even Honolulu, too much.

I went to school in Oregon and so after I finished, I wasn't ready to go back to maui yet so there were a bunch of friends that had moved to the area when they finished and so I thought I'd give it a try. There's actually a lot of people from Hawaii that have relocated up here That kind of suprised me.There's also a couple of local bands that have regular gigs and there's also access to some of the finer things from home...plate lunches, kalua pig, and concerts. It's a really nice city to be living in, people are friendly, it's clean and not very dangerous (for a city....I dunno being from maui, I still get scared a little).

All u gotta put up with is the rain/overcast skies for 3-5 months. hehe.

Comment

Glad to hear you have some of the comforts and characters of home, even so many miles away. I've definitely come to appreciate some of the "ninth islands" that have sprouted up on the Mainland, from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City to Portland, Seattle, San Diego... well, basically, locals have a way of finding each other, which is reassuring. I'm thinking I'll have to set as one of my "when hell freezes over" moving away criteria to include, "Has an L&L Drive-Inn (Hawaiian Barbeque) location within 20 miles."

Originally posted by mauiwahine05
            All u gotta put up with is the rain/overcast skies for 3-5 months. hehe.
            Well, I hear that about Seattle, too. My wife and I met in Hilo, and learned to love the gray skies and wet weather. We'd definitely rather end up in Hilo than the Mainland, but in any case, maybe we'd at least be able to handle that one weather factor. The temperatures on the other hand... Brr!

Comment

yah, i have family in hilo so we were there a lot while growing up. THought i could handle it since I could handle Hilo but........ the temperature makes all the difference. at least with hilo rain u don't have to also wear 4-5 layers of clothes (never know what "layering" was til I got up here) and the rain doesn't spontaneously turn into slush (i like to call it 'free shave ice') haha...next time i'm gona drink some malolo syrup and stand out side with my mouth open!

i guess ur settling on vegas....they have L&L

Comment

Originally posted by mauiwahine05
                i guess ur settling on vegas....they have L&L
                There's one in Lynnwood, a northern suburb of Seattle, so that's two for your list, pz.
                Mauiwahine05 - keep your eyes open for the free monthly Northwest Hawai`i Times newspaper; it gets some distribution in the Portland area (check for it in Hawaiian shops and restaurants, as well as Uwajimaya in Beaverton.) I write CD reviews and music articles for it; we're online now, too (one month delay from the print edition.) Lots of articles and info about Hawaiian activities in the area.

Comment

Hey thanks a lot for the info leo! will check into that paper

Comment

HOWZITT MAUIWAHINE 05,
                    First of all, welcome to the HT and the local rapp board`s.
                    Small kine junk weather, but as winter weather for us local`s...
                    Traffic still one mess, but as how it goes...
                    Howzzit in your country

TALK STORY BUMBUY!!!!!
                    OGGBOY.....
                    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Sunny yet cold...check um out....if the highs are in the 30-40's (and it's sunny), imagine the lows......brrrrrrrrrr!

Wednesday...Sunny. Highs 40 to 45. North wind 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday...Partly sunny. Highs 40 to 45. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph except becoming east 15 to 25 mph near the gorge in the afternoon.

Friday...Partly cloudy with a slight chance of snow showers. Colder. Highs around 25. Northeast wind 15 to 25 mph except east 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph near the gorge.

Saturday...Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of snow. Highs 30 to 35.

Sunday...Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of snow. Highs 35 to 40.

Monday...Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of snow. Highs 35 to 40.

Tuesday...Mostly cloudy. Highs 35 to 40.
                      Last edited by mauiwahine05; February 15, 2006, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Eh, Mauiwahine
                        As to cold foa me....
                        Today`s forecast/ hi-88, lo-66 this is for Kahului.....
                        I can handle datt!!!!!

OGGBOY
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                        X