Designing Hawaii's Commemorative Quarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing Hawaii's Commemorative Quarter

Gov. Lingle is right, this is difficult. So many people have so many ideas as to what should be on the quarter.

I think they should buck tradition and first put a hibiscus behind George Washington's ear. Then flip the buggah over, place a lei around the perimeter, then have a surfer riding a wave. Maybe Rell Sunn? Maybe Duke Kahanamoku? Maybe Hawaii Kai Costco Rob? (da buggah stay surf DAILY, wind, rain, runoff, Great White sighting or shine!) Diamond Head behind the surfer.

I'm sure representations of hula, whale, waterfalls, Fasi's shaka, flowers, will be suggested.

What's your idea?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Designing Hawaii's Commemorative Quarter

A honu, in pōhaku kiʻi style. Hey, everybody has it on their car windows already.

Comment

I'd like to see a similar design to the 1928 Hawaiian Commemorative Half-Dollar. I've put in a link in this post that will take one to site that shows the obverse/reverse on this coin. It's my opinion that this coin, minted to commemorate the 150th year anniversery of the "discovery" of Hawai'i by Cook in 1778, is one of the US Mint's most beautiful coins. While not quite in the league with the classic design of the early 20th century St. Gaudens $20 golds, it is clearly one of the better designs from the extensive "early commemorative" series of halves issued by the US Mint.

I'd like to see the reverse minted with an updated version of the Hawaiian warrior with the vista of Diamond Head in the background. (The obverse, of course, with the bust of Washington, will be identical to the other 49 quarter designs that will have been minted when Hawai'i's turn for a quarter comes around).

The 1928 Hawaiian Commemorative, incidentally, is one of the most valuable and sought after coins from the early commemorative series. Only 10,000 of these coins were minted, and as such, coins even in the lowest of grades command hundreds of dollars. Uncirculated specimens..I don't have a clue...but definitely 4 figures.

Hawaii's first commemorative coin.

Comment

Wow, Surfingfarmboy. That's a neat link, and a great idea.

My only wish for the Hawaii design is simplicity. Seems many other states, doing "design by committee," ended up with quarters that try to feature several different icons of their state, which is a nice thought but leads to clutter and an overall look that's not distinctive at all. Florida has a Spanish galleon, the space shuttle, and a sandy beach with palm tree. My favorite designs are a single scene, with a single iconic image.

I'd also suggest avoiding some design cliches that have emerged, including squeezing the outline of the state or the state flag in there. Or tall-masted ships or buffalo (unlikely, I know). Geological features are, I'd guess, unavoidable options (Leahi).

In my head, I always saw the profile of King Kamehameha, positioned with as much prominence and dignity as the president's head on the other side. Drawing a direct link between leaders of two nations, therein emphasizing Hawaii's sovereign history. The additional benefit of this, of course, would be a coin with two heads. Hawaii's coin would be the one to have for a fixed coin toss!

Here's a good article from the Star-Bulletin from 2004. Features some suggestions, as well as a clarification on how the "new" design process works. Turns out, we just give the U.S. Mint the basic idea and theme, and they'll draw something up for approval. Uh oh. I hope the state still retains veto power over possible grass skirt/coconut bra or -- heaven forbid -- tiki creations.
        Last edited by pzarquon; February 15, 2006, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the Kamehameha statue. It's really well-known, to be sure. But it just looks so, well, so European. It was sculpted by some American sculptor who, as I've heard the story, never even visited Hawaiʻi and based the pose on classical marble statues of Roman emperors. A profile of Kamehameha, though, now that might work.

Comment

Perhaps they should just leave Hawaii's quarter BLANK.. nodda', nottin'.

Based on housing, fuel and misc. living expenses, that's exactly what you get in the Aloha State with a quarter... NOTHING.

Post Edit:
            Here's a few simple designs I illustrated real quick. One uses the island chain silhouette, which was earlier suggested to be avoided. At least here we can see how that would play into the design if it were to be incorporated. I also forgot to add the year of statehood and coin release date. Will add to future designs.

More to follow later.
            Last edited by Pomai; February 15, 2006, 02:10 PM. Reason: Added coin design concepts
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Parody-Hawa...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Why not a picture of a plate lunch. Two scoop rice, side mac, chicken katsu.
                'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

da hell? shipping charges only apply to the CONTINENTAL U.S.

FREAKS!
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Here's a good article from the Star-Bulletin from 2004. Features some suggestions, as well as a clarification on how the "new" design process works. Turns out, we just give the U.S. Mint the basic idea and theme, and they'll draw something up for approval. Uh oh. I hope the state still retains veto power over possible grass skirt/coconut bra or -- heaven forbid -- tiki creations.
                    Here's the 1997 Star-Bulletin contest entries article with the finalists' designs.

As stated above, however, the rules are now that it will be designed by committee (We already have 28 people on the committee and they're still adding more) and that guarantees an abortion.

Why couldn't the committe be comprised of renowned local graphic designers?
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                      I hope Pomai submits her design!

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I thought it was supposed to be in circulation this year?
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                          I thought it was supposed to be in circulation this year?

Nope. 2008. Last one.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                            Probably because of the fiasco that happened when "renowned local graphic designers" tried to come up with a new logo for the university. Dismal failures, all.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                              Probably because of the fiasco that happened when "renowned local graphic designers" tried to come up with a new logo for the university. Dismal failures, all.
                              Oh lord, I'd managed to forget about that. If we take the same approach to the state quarter, then we're doomed to a cheesy corporate style logo.

Comment

Working...
                              X