Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cement company drivers ticketed for driving too slow

Source

Moving violations, but not the kind that first come to mind. These are not speeding tickets. They're tickets for not going fast enough.

Police want drivers to go the speed limit or under, but not too far under.

Two Hawaiian Cement truck drivers have been cited at different times for going about 30 miles-per-hour on the H-2 Freeway, where the speed limit is 55 miles-per-hour.
    Read more at the source.

WTF? Going too slow? So HPD, you want cement drivers to go 55mph with a ton of cement?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Cement company drivers ticketed for driving too slow

I hope they ticket tutu for driving 15 in a 45, or the idiots who go 35 in the fast lane on the H-1...

Comment

From the story:
      But on local roads, police say they give out about five tickets a month for going too slowly, mostly to elderly drivers.

Comment

Not nearly enough...

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
          WTF? Going too slow? So HPD, you want cement drivers to go 55mph with a ton of cement?
          Damn right. Or better yet, keep your ton of cement off the freeway. Those drivers should be using the surface streets, not the freeway, to transport their loads. If their vehicles cannot keep up with the traffic around them or are not safe or easily lose control at freeway speeds then they don't belong on the freeway.
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Actually it's probably safer for those vehicles to travel on the freeways instead of the stop and go on the city streets. A fully loaded cement truck is hard to stop and running red lights because it takes 60-feet to stop when travelling at 25MPH could spell disaster at every block.

I cringe everytime I see someone cut off a fully loaded tractor trailer. These big rigs cannot stop in time and in order not to jacknife their trailer, they simply plow into the rear of the car that cut them off killing that driver instead of many others from a sliding trailer.

For a cement truck the quicker way from point A to B is critical because of the hardening cement it's carrying. Everyone knows how long it takes driving thru town on city streets plus the turning radius of cement trucks means not being able to make that close quarter turn from one street to another.

I'm sure the cement companies here accept the moving violation as it's probably cheaper to take the ticket rather than getting fined by the general contractor for a late delivery. To them it's just a technicality they have to deal with.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm in agreement with Craig. On the freeway, you can just pass 'em and get on with your day. They stay in the far right lane usually. They're not hurting anybody.

I find it amusing that there's such a presing need to stop the menace of slow-moving cement trucks, but nobody seems to notice the jackasses peeling out of the Mililani town center and street racing down the H2 all hours of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                I hope they ticket tutu for driving 15 in a 45, or the idiots who go 35 in the fast lane on the H-1...
                That's the problem. People think of the passing lane as the "fast lane," and assume, "I'm going fast, so I don't have to move over."

The far left lane of the freeway is the passing lane. I don't care how fast you think you're going. If you're not actively passing someone, move to the right. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Keep right except to pass, or turn in your driver's license.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

I'm sure the cement companies here accept the moving violation as it's probably cheaper to take the ticket rather than getting fined by the general contractor for a late delivery. To them it's just a technicality they have to deal with.
                  It's the driver who is ticketed, not the company.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                    That's the problem. People think of the passing lane as the "fast lane," and assume, "I'm going fast, so I don't have to move over."

The far left lane of the freeway is the passing lane. I don't care how fast you think you're going. If you're not actively passing someone, move to the right. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Keep right except to pass, or turn in your driver's license.
                    No, the problem is the old fart who wants to go 35 mph in that lane. Not the name you use to identify it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                      It's the driver who is ticketed, not the company.
                      The driver might get the ticket, but how do you know the company isn't paying for it?

Comment

Regradless of who is paying the ticket, it's still the driver of the truck who is getting penalized since the moving violations are registrated against that driver. As more of these tickets are issued against the driver(s), the more likey either the insurance rates are going up or some other factor comes into play against the driver(s).

Comment

I wonder if you could creat a corporation of yourself and have your CDL issued against it limiting your liability to the entity known as Me, Inc.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Here in da mainland, we have the cement, or bigger rigs take the middle lane if there's 3 lanes. Most people have no problem with that, they pass to the right or left. I hardly see any incidents on the road with cement or rigs, majority of the time rigs get into collisions due to some idiot cutting him off and not giving him enough space to stop or slow down.

We have a law here that states left lane is for passing only, but seldom it is enforced.
                            Last edited by EnjoyDaRideTRD; February 17, 2006, 09:11 PM. Reason: Spell checker
                            - Manuel

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                              No, the problem is the old fart who wants to go 35 mph in that lane. Not the name you use to identify it.
                              No, the problem is that people insist on thinking of it as the "fast" lane; people always think they're going the top speed anyone should be going, so they refuse to move right whether someone wants to pass or not.

It is, in fact, the passing lane and should be treated as such. Use it to pass, then move over, whether you're going 60 mph or 90 mph. Obviously nobody driving 35 belongs on the freeway in the first place.

And for God's sake, use your turn signals!

Comment

Working...
                              X