Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Police chief website???

http://www.shameonyouboisse.com

Is a website by a wife of a veteran cop....(a ballsy wife at that I must say)
    that is aimed to stop the police chiefs decision to change the work week of the cops to a schedule more like the rest of us.

I support our cops... however, I'm a taxpayer and I want the best coverage and best usage of my money.

Sending them back to an 8 hour day 40 hour week like the rest of us state workers makes sense to me.

But then again... If I worked only 3 days a week (being able to use the other 4 days for side jobs and/or overtime) for how many years...and then my boss tells me I've got to go to a 5 day work week... I'd be kind of pissed to.

Anyone else thoughts?

Re: Anti-Police chief website???

I have nephews and many friends in HPD. When they took their OATH to become Police Officers, they did so knowing they would become Police Officers 24/7. Nuff said.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If the HPD can't figure out a way to keep their staff happy with additional hours or more hourly pay, I fear that the recruiters landing in Hawai'i from places like Federal Way, WA, are going to lure many of your top cops away to the Mainland with more money and a better standard of living. It's kind of a crime (pardon the pun) that the HPD can't afford to pay the police enough so they don't have to resort to part time jobs or overtime in order to support their families. I think policemen and firefighters should be compensated more because they are laying their lives on the line for us.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

HPD officers who are committed to their work deserve decent wages for their regular salary.
        Also, if the higher ups would stop catering to their buddies and covering up their doo doo, there would be fewer lawsuits against them. They need to have an investigation on the higher ups! No wonder so many in the ranks are not happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          I think policemen and firefighters should be compensated more because they are laying their lives on the line for us.

Miulang
          No can. All the money is going to pay the State Workers (ie Plantation Asians and their family and friends) the highest pay in the nation, the best health care benefits, the most vacation and sick leave etc etc.

Quit Police, Fire and Teaching and get a job with the HGEA!!!!! That's where the money is in Hawaii.

Aloha

Comment

I don't know any firefighter who works a 9/5 shift. And I don't know many professions where their 9/5 includes the potential of being shot at, or physically attacked by people wasted on drugs like cops have it. Of many professions where responding to a traffic accident can leave a visceral impact that scars the life out of the employee...like seeing a child die because s/he wasn't in a car seat (or dead while in that car seat).

I want my money's worth as well. But cheaper isn't always less expensive, and having a mentally/physically/emotionally exhausted safety force just isn't worth it for any of us.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
              No can. All the money is going to pay the State Workers (ie Plantation Asians and their family and friends) the highest pay in the nation, the best health care benefits, the most vacation and sick leave etc etc.

Quit Police, Fire and Teaching and get a job with the HGEA!!!!! That's where the money is in Hawaii.

Aloha
              I work HGEA and I don't get paid what they do!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                I have nephews and many friends in HPD. When they took their OATH to become Police Officers, they did so knowing they would become Police Officers 24/7. Nuff said.

Auntie Lynn
                Yes that is certainly correct my dear. However the oath did not include other job duties that are forced upon them. If you want to see some more of the real crap that they have to deal with every day, go to Waikiki and watch the HPD try and keep it safe for the tourists. I feel sorry for the Police in a way. Yet, as you said, they did know what they were in for. They should pay them WAY more. They lay down their lives for us 24/7. I called them the other day because a woman was screaming and it sounded like a domestic to me. They were here in a few seconds. I felt safe, knowing that if I should ever need them for my own self, they WILL be here. I am changing my previous opinion of them. I no longer hum Mickey Mouse. I respect them and am grateful that they are there. As far as I can see they do their job to the best of thier ability.

Comment

I'll echo the sentiments of Miulang and Pua`i, and say that HPD and HFD deserve whatever we can afford to pay them. As long as the organizations are using the money efficiently, I don't mind paying a few more bucks out of my paycheck every two weeks if it means they stand at the ready.

The fire department so far has done pretty much exactly what the citizenry needs from it, and except for that little scandal about test-takers cheating on the exams, it has only been excellent at what it does and in an ideal society, we'd pay it a ton of money to sit around and do absolutely nothing, and we'd be grateful for that.

The HPD is another story, and I don't blame people who feel we're getting slightly ripped off. There's just so much in the news about problems with law enforcement as an organization. On the whole, though, the cops are doing a good job, and yeah, while I think my job is pretty dang tough, it's nothing compared to what these guys do. I also think that the more of them there are, the less they have to do, individually and collectively, because a visible presence goes a long way.

I really, really think that we would all love cops if traffic enforcement were taken away from HPD and given to some other organization. Almost every beef the everyday citizen like you and me has with the cops is traffic-related. Take that responsibility away from the cops, and all you have left is something just short of a public saint.

I don't know about this website, though. Let me go take a look at it.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                    I work HGEA and I don't get paid what they do!!!!!

You must be low on the totem pole. No worry, just get to know your bosses and some day, you cash in.

Comment

A couple of years ago, after a very late night at work, I decided not to risk the 40 mile drive home and crashed in my office. I was awakened by the sound of breaking glass. It was obviously not coming from my office so I peeked out a window and saw someone breaking into another office in my building...the office of a relative of 2 policemen. I immediately called 911 and, after giving the dispatcher pertinent info (including the family relationship) and being assured the police were on their way, I continued to give the dispatcher a blow by blow account of the crime in progress. No one showed up. As the perp started to get into that office I hung up on the dispatcher, turned on a CD and turned up the volume as loud as it would go. The guy fled, fortunately and the police arrived...45 minutes later. I showed them the scene and explained what happened. "Why didn't you call sooner?", asked the first cop. "Did you just get the call?", I responded. "Yes.", he said and mentioned they got there as soon as they could. They seemed genuinely perplexed when I told them I'd called 45 minutes earlier. I have no idea what took so long but, possibly, there were other more serious crimes in progress at the same time. I blame that situation on understaffing.

I agree...policemen, firemen AND, I'll add, teachers need more money.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                        I'll echo the sentiments of Miulang and Pua`i, and say that HPD and HFD deserve whatever we can afford to pay them.
                        Good, because that's exactly what we ARE paying them.

Comment

The main concern of the police officers posting on that website (and let me tell you - in just one week, there were more than 1,000 posts), was their 3/12 schedule (3 days a week, 12-hour days) being converted to 5/8.

I think if other departments on the mainland are offering 3/12’s and 4/10’s, we need to stay competitive. Why should we switch just because HPD Chief Boisse Correa wants to retaliate against officers who criticized his leadership?

I agree with tutusue, our police force is already understaffed. If mainland recruiters keep coming to Honolulu to raid HPD of our top cops, how will we ever see improvement?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                          X