Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waimea Town Celebration 2/25

Waimea Town Celebration

Waimea Town, Kaua‘i is the island’s most ancient settlement and a capital from ancient Hawaiian days. Its history encompasses the turbulence of post European contact starting with the first landing in Hawai‘i of Captain James Cook on his extraordinary voyages of discovery in the Pacific, fur and sandalwood traders, to a dramatic stand-off of King Kamehameha superior forces by Kaua‘i’s King Kaumuali‘i that lasted decades, Russian empire builders, to whalers and missionaries, and then to the growth of 19th century agricultural pursuits in rice, cattle and sugarcane bringing people from many nations … Asia, Europe and the United States. They all passed through and made Waimea a port-of-call.

The aloha and unique character of the town come together for community events and the largest, held in February, is the Waimea Town Celebration. In 2002, it successfully passed its 25th year and now hosts over 15000 people in a two-day flurry of events. Starting in 1978 as part of the tremendous world-wide bicentennial celebration of Captain Cook’s landing in Hawai‘i, the Captain Cook Caper Fun Run’s carbo-loading party got to be “too-fun-for-just-the-runners” and very quickly turned into a town party. Soon the whole island was invited and the event outgrew the town center.

Today, events, scattered over a two mile area include Hawaiian outrigger canoe races, Hawaiian cowboy events, ukulele contest, lei making contest, softball tournaments, ice cream eating contest, games, crafts, local food favorites, the Coor’s Beer Garden, non-stop up-and-coming and greats of Hawaiian music and more. The purpose of the Waimea Town Celebration is to give West Kaua‘i schools, clubs and non-profits a chance to fundraise. Many businesses and individuals are involved in preparation, manning booths, and participation. Visitors to the islands find a family-style atmosphere where they are welcome to share and get to know a community that has been well known for its hospitality long before the anchoring of Cook’s ships “Resolution” and “Discovery” in 1778.

The Waimea Town Celebration is held every year on the Friday & Saturday following the President’s Day long weekend. In 2006 the dates are February 24 & 25.

Other events for 2005 are the Waimea Lighted Christmas Parade Saturday, December 17, 2005.

West Kauai Business & Professional Association
    P.O. Box 903, Waimea, Kauai, Hawaii 96796
    Email: info@wkbpa.org
    Contact: Chris Faye, publicity chair (808) 335-2824 / eves (808) 337-1005

Waimea Town Celebration 2006 (Kauai) Continuous island entertainment with loads of food, craft & game booths, a beer garden, contests and lots of sporting events. At the Old Waimea Sugar Mill, the fun starts on Friday at 4:30pm and on Saturday at 10 am. Free entertainment until 11 pm, both nights. Funding provided by the Hawaii Tourism Authority and Paradise Beverages. Old sugar mill site provided by Kikiaola Land Company. Saturday events include a fun run, canoe race, rodeo, ukulele contest, ice cream eating contest. Check out the lei contest and cultural demonstrations at the West Kauai Visitor Center Friday & Saturday. Don’t forget to collect the latest exclusive t-shirt design for the event. www.wkbpa.org and email: events@wkbpa.org

Waimea Town Celebration Events include—

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006
    Kilohana Long Distance Canoe Race (Kauai) Traditional Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe Racing along the Waimea shoreline. First event of the Kauai Garden Island Canoe Racing Association season. Start times for the races Saturday morning - 8am for single person canoes, 9am for women, 10:30 am for men. Finished around noon. Visible from the shore at Waimea near the Pier. Fees for participants only. Hosted by Kilohana Canoe Club of Waimea. Free for spectators. Part of the annual Waimea Town Celebration.

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006
    29th Annual Captain Cook Caper Fun Run (Kauai) 2, 5, & 10k Run with a start time of 7am, Saturday morning. Registration available at information booth near the stage area Friday night. Shuttle service to start lines from Waimea Plantation Cottages. Last bus leaves at 6:15 am. Entry fee. Hosted by the Waimea High School Track Team. Free for spectators. Contact: Dave Walker 652-0616

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006
    9th Annual Ukulele Contest
    Amateurs and professionals show their stuff with Hawaii's favorite stringed instrument on the main stage at the Waimea Town Celebration. Starts about 1 pm (check the schedule at the info booth). Children & Adult Categories. Prizes. Sign up at the information booth Saturday. Sponsored by American Savings Bank

Friday & Saturday, Feb 24-25, 2006
    7th Annual First Hawaiian Bank Hat Lei Contest
    Creativity reigns as children and adults show off their lei contest entries exhibited Friday from noon to 9pm and Saturday, 9am-5pm at the West Kauai Technology & Visitor Center. Hawaiian cultural demonstrations on the lanai from 11am-4pm Saturday. Entry forms for lei contest available at the Visitor Center. Event sponsored by First Hawaiian Bank, Kauai Economic Development Board, Hawaii Tourism Authority, County of Kauai and the West Kauai Business & Professional Association. Contact: Aletha Kaohi (808) 338-1332
    Saturday, Feb 25, 2006
    7th Annual Lappert's Ice Cream Eating Contest
    Age groups from young to old compete vie for the title of the fastest ice cream eaters in the west in front of the Waimea Town Celebration Stage. Sign up until 11:00 am at the Information Booth on Saturday. Limited seating in each category. Contest starts about noon. Contact: Jane Seto 338-1240

Friday, Saturday & Sunday, February 24-26, 2006
    Mountainball Tournament
    Great play at the Waimea Athletic Field on the corner of Huakai and Hwy 50. Action starts at 5pm on Friday and continues to the championships on Sunday starting at 8am.
    No admission for spectators.

Friday & Saturday February 24 & 25, 2006
    Waimea Round-Up Rodeo
    Events take place behind the old Waimea Dairy (between Waimea & Kekaha). Friday Slack / Elimination Roping from 4pm (no admission this day only).
    Saturday Grand entry and flag ceremony with recognition of the Hall of Fame Cowboys starts at noon. Fun events from Poowaiu to Barrels. Refreshments available. Bring sunscreens, hats and enjoy the family fun. Admission is $3.00 / under 12 free to benefit the Kauai Keiki & High School Rodeo Association.

Saturday, February 25, 2006
    Waimea Theatre Silent Auction Fundraiser
    Silent Auction from 11am to 9pm at the Waimea Town Celebration Site.
    Theatre operated by the nonprofit West Kauai Business & Professional Association. Contact: Stacy Vinzcent 651-8857

Sponsored by

West Kaua‘i Business & Professional Association

Funded by

Hawaii Tourism Authority, Paradise Beverages & Coors Brewing Company, County of Kaua‘i

In-kind services and donations provided by Kikiaola Land Company, Malama Rentals, Waimea Plantation Cottages, Kikiaola Construction Co., Darick Akita Electric, Big Save Waimea, Ishihara Market, Coca Cola, Lawai Beach Resort, Kauai Economic Development Board, Matson, Aqua Engineers, Pioneer Hi-Bred, Service Rentals & Supplies,

Kapaa Ice Company, Matson Navigation Company, Toolmaster, Brewer Environmental Industries, Waimea High School Project Graduation, Nalani Malama, Garden Island Disposal and many more individuals and businesses.

Pick up event applications on line at www.wkbpa.org

Kaua‘i’s largest and oldest annual festival, sponsored since 1978 by West Kaua‘i Business & Professional Association and West Kaua‘i Main Street. The Waimea Town Celebration is dedicated to providing non-profit organizations and clubs with the opportunity for necessary fundraising while promoting community unity and economic development.
    just started: mililaniblog.com
Working...
X