Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What activities are you going to teach your keiki?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What activities are you going to teach your keiki?

I know growing up we did a lot of things outside the house. Some I don't remember. I'm looking for ideas that are fun and adventurous that you've tried or will try.

Also what activities do you think your child should learn growing up in Hawaii? I think every child should learn to swim.

My son is 1.5 and I'm looking for things to do on the weekends. We've been mostly going to the Zoo and the Aquarium.
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: What activities are you going to teach your keiki?

Go beach. Get him used to walking in sand and braving the inshore "ripples". Kapolei has several lagoons around the Ihilani Resort. Shallow and calm. I take my daughter to Alii Beach Park in Haleiwa all the way in front of the hongwanji. Sandy and shallow. When time to go home, we stop off at Aoki's or Matsumoto's for shave ice then head over to Waialua Bakery for malasadas on the way home.
    Melanie loves this warm weather routine.

Hiking is another neat activity. I know, at 1.5 yrs. hard to walk far. Get one of those slings and pack him on your back when he gets tired. Aiea Loop Trail is a fairly tame hike. If you don't mind the drive, Makapuu light house is an easy walk. It's a paved road all the way up.

We've been mostly going to the Zoo and the Aquarium.
    I take it you have memberships at both. Get one for the Bishop Museum as well. They've had some entertaining venues in the past that our daughter liked.

Our daughter also enjoys plain'ol picnics at the state park in Waipio. She's learning how to ride bike and skate and they have plenty of walkways around the entire complex. Take a few kites and do some kiteflying. We do that on occasion as well. We simply pick up some plate lunches or bentos from Zippy's on the way into the park or, better still, make your own. Nothing like musubis, portagee sausage and vegie sticks with ranch dressing when eating at a picnic.

When he's about 3, you can enroll him in a gymnastics class over in Waipio. Mel has weekly classes at Island Tumblers and Gymnastics. $35 per month. She loves that too.

Dole Pineapple Stand has a "historical" train ride out back. They have kamaiina rates. They also have that maze good for tiring out kids. <LOL>
    If you get hungry, there's Helemano Plantation over there. Decent Chinese buffet at $8 per person. Good size fruit counter, great eating for toddlers.

Join the Mililani YMCA. They have swimming lessons for kids in a heated pool. So spoiled nowdays. I learned in the cold waters of Wahiawa swimming pool, which has been renovated and is now quite a nice facility.

You live Mililani. I live Wahiawa. This area is way different now days and the activities I listed are "safe". Kids can't run around free like we used to way back. Lots of times, certain activities cost a little money, but they are safe and educational. The beach is still the best.

Comment

Hey Rolling ... have you gone to Hanauma Bay recently? Just wondering what it's like now. We've gone down to the Ihilani area and found "no parking." Maybe we're leaving to late. I dunno. But we'll keep trying or head north like you do.

My neices go to Island Tumblers. It's funny how climbing a mango tree could get you the same exercise. I laugh too when they get stuck climbing the jungle gym ... it's like auwe use what you learned in your gym classes.

Living in Mililani ... most of us don't have a yard too so even more so we have to venture from home to get some good old fashioned exercise.

Comment

As far as paid memberships go, Bishop Museum is definitely a great value, especially alongside the zoo and the aquarium. Right now if I had to choose only one, Bishop Museum would probably be it.

Yeah, the aquarium is small, but when you're a kid, you don't notice. The zoo, meanwhile, is just about to open its new keiki section. We don't go as often as we should, mostly because my wife has issues with the free-roaming peacocks.

We're also members at the Children's Discovery Center. Easily the priciest of the bunch. Only worth it if you go often, which fortunately we do.

The Academy of Arts seems to have family-friendly exhibits and events more frequently, but I confess I haven't been there in ages.

Of course, some of the best things to do don't require admission. During the summer, we love going to the beach -- Waimanalo, on the Windward side, and even Kaimana Beach (a semi-protected square of shore between the War Natatorium and the hotels/condos) in Waikiki. We make regular pilgrimages to Haleiwa for shave ice, too. Often times, just a trip to a park outside our neighborhood (we too live in Mililani) is a special treat. Stadium Park, with Waiola Shave Ice right next door...

Things all kids here should know or do? Swimming is definitely up there. Hula and Hawaiian language, too. I second hiking (eventually), and camping. A martial art would be great. Living in Mililani in particular, it sure seems soccer is practically mandatory.

Comment

Nope. No Hanauma Bay. To darned crowded. Last time I went the water smelled like sun screen. I'll pass the place on the way to the rifle range and they'll usually have a sign out saying the parking lot is closed because it's all full up. No thank you. It's a tourist beach.

My neices go to Island Tumblers.
          Small world. If I let Mel do what she's learned in ITG, she'd fall flat on her back or belly out. <LOL>

Kapolei, you gotta go early. Personally, I've tried a couple of times and ended up turning around and driving to the North Shore. Mid morning is too late any day. My brother stayed there on their last visit and we spent the day with them. Dad took a dip in the deserted lagoon and came back looking a little blue. Water was too cold. My brother and his wife ended up buying a time share further in the resort area. Not built yet. We're invited to stay when they can't. Probably take them up on that.

Yes, you have no yards. <LOL> We go to garage sales up your way and I always look at how some of these really nice homes....have no yards. Only enough to walk around the house or make one nice rock garden in the front.

I'm living in my parent's house. Mel has a back yard and fruit trees. Not real big property, but enough. Heck, we used to play football in the backyard.

Check out that state park. It's huge. Plenty space for running, walking, biking, whatever. Sometimes we go just to eat, then bust out the kites for some early evening flying till it gets too dark to see. I've seen kids launching rockets and othes playing with RC cars on the north side. The tennis courts are nice and they have lessons for keiki, but it'll cost. It'll also cost if you want to use the courts without having to wait. A private club manages the place.

Other times, I'll pack our bikes on the back of our van and head down for some bike riding. Lots of long hills so either way you go, you catch one going up. <LOL>

Alii Park is only a 22 mile round trip from Wahiawa. Short. The hongwanji side has a new restroom and shower facility so it's now really nice. You know kids. They have to go at the worst of times. "Wot! You gotta make sheeshee. Eh, jus do it in da wottah." "Wot! You gotta numbah 2! You cannot hold it? Aiyah, C'mon, lezgo." The beach area is wide. The water is shallow and relatively calm even when the surf is reported to be in the 4' range. The area is "shielded" by a reef so the waves get cut down pretty good, but still leaves enough action for the little ones to catch a few with a boogie board. Bottom is sandy out to about 30' in places. There is an artesian seep right in front of the hongwanji about 10' into the water. If you stand on it or sink your feet into the sand, it get pretty darned cold. Come around sunset, the honu start coming around to feed. Most I've seen there is 6. Usually on the park side of the reef. They have picnic benches on the road side of the park under the trees. An easy drive and plenty parking.

Oh, yeah. Don't forget the lagoon at Turtle Bay. A litte rough at times, but pretty good for kids. Free parking. Just tell the attendant at the booth that you're going to the beach. They give you a dash card and tell you where to park. Can pick up some fresh Kahuku corn on the way. We make this an "event" and will take side trips up Pupukea heiau and stuff. Stop off at our favorite Kahuku corn vendor and the old Filipino lady gives Melanie free papaya and extra corn. End up eating dinner at a place in Hauula Shopping Center next to Magoos Pizza. Papa something or other. Local kine food. Stop off in Laie for ice cream on the way home.

Btw, the best time to go to any of these places is always early, especially on weekends. My work schedule is such that I can take Mel on weekdays when school is out. Early or mid to late afternoon are good times, so sometimes even after school.

Comment

While I plan on teaching my son many things...

The things on this list seem more like "fun" activities...

So I'll add that if you can afford the yearly family price at the Waterslide park
            it's definately a "fun" activity... If you can make it out there at least once every couple months the yearly pass would pay off.... then again... if you made it out there every weekend for a month... it would also pay off.

I like to take my son to the local park and watch him just burn off energy.

Soon enough, I will be teaching him how to ride a trike...then a bike... then a skateboard (if I don't break my neck in the process).

I think also teaching your children Acceptance and Respect is also a very important value, as well as Affection and Support.

Comment

This thread is going good so far. I'm enjoying the feedback. I'd like to be your kid(s)!

Anyone go to any of the cultural festivals?
              How much do you want your child to learn about their culture?

What about old school skills like throwing net?

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
                [...]Kapolei, you gotta go early. Personally, I've tried a couple of times and ended up turning around and driving to the North Shore. Mid morning is too late any day.[...]
                Hopefully I'm assuming correctly that you're referring to the lagoons at Ko`olina. If so, week-ends and holidays are tough for parking so going early means *really* early! During the week isn't bad at lagoon #4 (the furthest from the Ihilani). My daughter and I were there on the Wednesday before the Pro Bowl, and even with all of the Pro Bowl activities going on at Ko`olina that day, there was still plenty of parking at lagoon #4. Such a beautiful area and so kid friendly.

Comment

KO'OLINA!!! Sorrysorrysorry. I always get the dang places mixed up. Another senior moment. Mahalo Tutusue.

Melanie is 1/2 Korean, 1/4 Okinawan and 1/4 Caucasian (we don't know what). Cultural Festivals for us include the annual Okinawan Festival, the Korean Festival and the October powwow at Thomas Square. The last one's just for the fry bread and Mel likes to jump in there with the fancy dancers and such. We missed all of last year, but plan on keeping on track this year. She really enjoys these outings and we enjoy watching her interact with the participants. Plus, there's something about her that makes people give her free stuff, even free food at restaurants. Probably cause she's so cute. Bon Dance season is another of her favorite time of the year.

Comment

I turned both my kids onto bike riding. I don't mean just taught them to ride or even as just a means of transportation, but to enjoy long bike rides just for the fun and experience of it. And they still do. (23 & 21 years old)
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      Hopefully I'm assuming correctly that you're referring to the lagoons at Ko`olina. If so, week-ends and holidays are tough for parking so going early means *really* early! During the week isn't bad at lagoon #4 (the furthest from the Ihilani). My daughter and I were there on the Wednesday before the Pro Bowl, and even with all of the Pro Bowl activities going on at Ko`olina that day, there was still plenty of parking at lagoon #4. Such a beautiful area and so kid friendly.
                      Eh, Toots, park at my house if you get stuck! I live right across the street from Ihilani, at Coconut Plantation. Go to the gate and buzz me.

(And yes, it was an excellent investment! But I'm not selling … yet.)
                      Last edited by MadAzza; February 24, 2006, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                        Eh, Toots, park at my house if you get stuck! I live right across the street from Ihilani, at Coconut Plantation. Go to the gate and buzz me.

(And yes, it was an excellent investment! But I'm not selling … yet.)
                        Hey...thanx for the offer, Maddy! I love Coconut Plantation. My other favorite is...oh, can't remember the name...the townhouses to the right of the guard shack when you enter Ko`olina. My daughter was looking at Hillside Vista but when she saw the <can't remember the name!> she flipped over it.

Ko`olina is certainly booming after, what, a decade or more of dormancy? Shoot, at this point, that little guard shack would probably go for at least a half mil! Yep...you made an excellent investment.

Comment

Ho boy going get one parking lot convention in front of your house!
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                          X