Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtle Bay madness

This cannot be allowed to happen!!!:

"The multibillion-dollar investment company that owns Turtle Bay Resort is planning to expand oceanfront property at Kawela Bay — a secluded bay on the North Shore — in accordance with a first-of-its-kind agreement reached with the city two decades ago.
    (...)
    A three-phase "unilateral agreement" approved by the City Council in 1986 would allow the resort to eventually build 3,500 additional hotel and condo units. The agreement also includes provisions for a hotel at Kawela Bay
    "

See the whole story (and photos) at http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...602230350.html

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Turtle Bay madness

Well, if people in the area get incensed enough about it, they will rise up and try to get the County Council to cancel the agreement.

Maui had its own form of this fiasco in Makena when Seibu Corporation (now bankrupt) had won concessions from the Maui County Council to put up another mega community across the road from the Maui Prince Hotel and next to their golf course. They secured the rights about 30 years ago. Maui Tomorrow (among other organizations) fought tooth and nail with Seibu, contending that all the new housing that was going to be built would be for wealthy people only, when there is a crying need for affordable workers in the Makena area.

And now that Seibu is bankrupt, that whole development plan is dead, but there's still concern about who will next own that piece of pristine land.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Well, if people in the area get incensed enough about it, they will rise up and try to get the County Council to cancel the agreement.
      In which case the developers would likely retain a fleet of attorneys... and would likely win.
      Cancelling the agreement, therefore, is highly unlikely. So the other options are... ?

Comment

Wonder where all the opposition was back in 1986 when the city originally entered into the agreement...

Comment

Good Point Palolo Joe.
          Now the question is was there much public knowledge at the time?

Sometimes we (the public) don't learn of things till it's too late, other times we do know and do nothing, but of late the residents of Hawaii are seriously trying to keep the government accountable to all of us. I feel it's gotten better as there's more people making the point of view of the working class known to "Them". Alot more are paying attention to what's truly going on around us.

Please don't ruin the Kawela Bay and Makena areas with the wrong types of developement and infrastructure. Don't forget that you need us workers to do the tasks that others won't I hope "You're" listening?!
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            In which case the developers would likely retain a fleet of attorneys... and would likely win.
            Cancelling the agreement, therefore, is highly unlikely. So the other options are... ?
            Another option is to get the County to force the developers to include a percentage of "affordable housing" for the people who will be needed to work for the rich folk who will live there. Most of the large developments on Maui now have to have that provision before the County will even listen to the developers.

Sure the developers could contend that "a deal is a deal" even though the extenuating circumstances may have changed over time, but, given the huge demand for affordable housing on all the islands, the very least the City and County need to do is slow the project down by requiring an environmental impact statement to make sure the infrastructure can support the growth in that area. And if it can't, make the developer responsible for building the infrastructure before they put up another high rise condo that caters to wealthy people.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

For the answers to most of your questions, see the article in today's Advertiser at http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...602250351/1001 for more details on what is required of the developer and for the full text of the original agreement, plus reasons why it was approved 20 years ago.

Comment

OH MY GAWD! I didn't think it was possible, but things have taken a turn for the worse, as they now plan to build not one but five hotels at Turtle Bay... and all at the same time!

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...WS01/603080341

Turtle Bay planning five hotels, 3,500 rooms

Developers of the Turtle Bay Resort yesterday outlined plans for five new hotels with 3,500 rooms and condominium units that would transform the area.
                Officials with the Kuilima Resort Company said they plan:
                Two hotels with a maximum total of 900 rooms to be built at Kawela Bay, a secluded cove adjacent to Turtle Bay;
                A hotel on each side of the existing Turtle Bay Resort; and
                A fifth hotel near Kahuku Point.
                (...)
                Unlike the original master plan, which was a three-phase concept that could be stretched out over 20 years, Adelman said, this project would be completed in one phase and in less time.

One can only pray that this never ever happens. Traffic in the area is already a nightmare, with only a two-lane road serving the whole north shore. The additional traffic during -- and of course after -- construction is simply and totally unacceptable.
                And of course the destruction and commercialization of the aina is absolutely unforgivable.

Comment

I thought one of the sidebar stories about this new development was equally interesting: the residents on that part of the island initially approved the plans in 1986 because they thought it would provide more jobs for area residents.

Move forward 30 years and more and more residents of the area are saying, "wait a minute. Maybe jobs aren't the most important consideration anymore. Maybe it's more important to preserve the environment and keep it country." What a concept! Does Oahu really need or want another Ka'anapali? Do area residents really need the additional burden that will be put on the infrastructure in the area? The only pro-development people are the ones who stand to gain directly from the influx of construction and tourists to the area, and that's not the majority of residents.

At the very least, the citizens should demand that the County review the developer plans and slow the process down.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; March 8, 2006, 09:00 AM.

Comment

The only pro-development people are the ones who stand to gain directly from the influx of construction and tourists to the area
                    Yeah, another thing I wonder about is... do they really think enough tourists want to stay there that they can fill five new hotels???
                    I wonder what research -- if any -- went into that. Hard to imagine that they'd build five hotels there unless they were sure that they could fill them enough to run at a profit.

Comment

Or perhaps they are all chanting the mantra, "If we build it, the tourists will come...if we build it, the tourists will come..." So what kind of tourist will want to stay there? And how will it impact Waikiki? Would Oahu just be shifting the demographics of the tourists from one location to another rather than increase the total number of tourists?

Miulang

Comment

So what kind of tourist will want to stay there? And how will it impact Waikiki? Would Oahu just be shifting the demographics of the tourists from one location to another rather than increase the total number of tourists?
                        Not likely. The North Shore offers next-to-nothing in the way of dining, shopping, and entertainment opportunities that so many tourists seem to want. What the North Shore does offer are beautiful beaches... that are too dangerous for tourists to enjoy about half of each year!
                        And of course the North Shore offers that 'country' feeling... for now.

Comment

In 1986, the Politics of NO had not quite gelled into the cohesive, fashionable, organized force that they have become today. So that is likely the reason why nobody complained back then.

Concern for the land & affordable housing is touching, but begs the question, Why don't YOU buy it? Then build houses at a loss, and sell them to the people who can then re-sell them at enormous profits(market price), thereby dragging themselves out of the trough of poverty. But after they spend the profit, where will they live? Give a man a fish or a fishing pole?

And yet, the maternity ward is as busy as can be. Bwahahaha.
                          If you have kids, or came from a family with children, you are Pro-Growth by default.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                            [...]
                            If you have kids, or came from a family with children, you are Pro-Growth by default.
                            It would appear that includes you and everyone else on this planet.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                              And yet, the maternity ward is as busy as can be. Bwahahaha. If you have kids, or came from a family with children, you are Pro-Growth by default.
                              Um... any chance we can stick to the topic of the Turtle Bay expansion plans, please?

Comment

Working...
                              X