Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiz: Hawaii company names inspired by songs and movies

Hi all,

I'm writing a column for Hawaii Business magazine about companies in Hawaii whose names are associated with movies, books and songs.

For instance, Ruby Tuesday is a new restaurant named after a 1967 Rolling Stones song.

Sweet Leilani is a florist shop, and a 1937 Harry Owens song (Academy Award winner in the movie Waikiki Wedding)

I have a list of over 25 companies in Hawaii whose name was inspired by (or is associated with) songs, movies, books or TV shows.

I thought this group would be interested in this interesting quiz.

I'll give you clues later to ones that are not quickly pointed out.

Can you name one or more???

Re: Quiz: Hawaii company names inspired by songs and movies

Originally posted by Creative-1
    I have a list of over 25 companies in Hawaii whose name was inspired by (or is associated with) songs, movies, books or TV shows... Can you name one or more???
    Companies with locations in Hawaii (i.e. including mainland chains), or companies based in Hawaii (i.e. local companies)? I'm guessing you mean any company, if Ruby Tuesday counts. And if so, there's Cheeseburger in Paradise.

Isn't Dew Drop Inn a Tori Amos lyric? How about Brew Moon (for "Blue Moon")?

Comment

pzarquon asks:

Companies with locations in Hawaii (i.e. including mainland chains), or companies based in Hawaii (i.e. local companies)? I'm guessing you mean any company, if Ruby Tuesday counts. And if so, there's Cheeseburger in Paradise.

For this thread, I was being as broad as possible: any company with a location in Hawaii, now or in the past. It's hard nowadays to know who owns a company.

I also used the word "associated" since it's hard to know if the song or movie inspired the company name.

So, yes, "Cheeseburger in Paradise," Jimmy Buffet's 1978 song qualifies.

Tori Amos' 1996 song "Muhammed my friend" does have the lyric "Dew Drop Inn."

"Blue Moon" by Rodgers & Hart, for the 1933 movie "Hollywood Party" seems to have inspired Brew Moon and also Michele Harris's company Blue Moon Builders.

That leaves about 2 dozen to go!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

And isn't Dew Drop Inn like 25 years older than Tori Amos? So are we talking business names in Hawaii that existed PRIOR to their being immortalized by Hollywood, Motown and publishing houses or after?
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
          And isn't Dew Drop Inn like 25 years older than Tori Amos?
          I suspect the play on words "Dew Drop Inn" is probably older than both. Heck, "Blue Moon" has probably been around even longer! So Creative-1's clarification on his phrasing, "names... associated with movies, books and songs," helps. We might make the link, whether or not it was intentional.

In which case, hey, Sweet Basil has a lot of musical links, since it's a historical venue in New York (I think) where many bands recorded live albums.

Actually, "movies, books and songs" is a pretty huge pool of material in which to find links. Provided the business wasn't named for its local owner or location, I'm thinking you might be able to find a "reference" to quite a few business names out there, even picking them at random.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
            And isn't Dew Drop Inn like 25 years older than Tori Amos? So are we talking business names in Hawaii that existed PRIOR to their being immortalized by Hollywood, Motown and publishing houses or after?

Most of the company names were inspired by these songs and movies, but as you point out, some have nothing to do with each other.

Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl" (1969), had nothing to do with Jonelle and Reid Fujita's store name, they say.

Comment

Aiyamahalo fo dat. Now I got Cinnamon Girl going round in my head. Good ting I have a cold. I can make distortion for the lead in. cough..cough...ahem.........

Comment

Can you name one or more???
                Just guessing:

Shogun Restaurant in the Pacific Beach Hotel (novel by James Clavell)

Bali Hai Restaurant on Kaua'i (song from the movie South Pacific)

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                  Just guessing:

Shogun Restaurant in the Pacific Beach Hotel (novel by James Clavell)

Bali Hai Restaurant on Kaua'i (song from the movie South Pacific)

Excellent, Lurkah. Those are both correct.

Here's a few hints to more:

A spot at a Waikiki hotel for entertainment and dining is named for a 1925 Charlie Chan novel.

A Honolulu restaurant is named for a famous song recorded by a young man a year before his tragic death in a plane crash in 1959.

An Ala Moana store is named for a Henry Mancini song in a 1962 movie about John Wayne and his ensemble cast who cavort over a Tanzanian landscape filling orders from zoo's for wild animals.

Several restaurants and bars around the state are named for Korea's national song.

Have fun!

Bob Sigall

Comment

Excellent, Lurkah. Those are both correct.

Here's a few hints to more:
                    uh, you mean

here are... a few hints to more...

not
                    here is.

is.. is for singular... etc.

################

ok.
                    first three.

The House Without A Key

La Bamba on Kapa. WHO? Lou! (As Granny Goose usta say...)
                    Recorded by Ricardo Valenzuela, a couple years after my birthdate.

Elephant walk, Hank Mancini.
                    although the title is archaically referred to as "Baby Elephant Walk"

Comment

The Charlie Chan novel would be "A House Without A Key".

The Ala Moana Store with the same name as the Henri Mancini song would be "Elephant Walk".

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        [...]Elephant walk, Hank Mancini.
                        although the title is archaically referred to as "Baby Elephant Walk"
                        That tune was popular when I was in high school, iirc! When did the name change? Just curious as I've always heard it referred to with Baby in the title.

Jeez...I shoulda thought of that song as a good friend of mine manages the Elephant Walk store at the HHV.

And, Kimo, simple grammatic errors can sometimes be nothing more than the fingers typing faster than the brain is thinking in the moment or even vice versa. We've all made 'em and we'll all make 'em again.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                          , simple grammatic errors can sometimes be nothing more than the fingers typing faster than the brain is thinking in the moment or even vice versa. We've all made 'em and we'll all make 'em again.
                          I hear ya. but as a writer a glaring error such as "here is some more..." is major, dude...ette!
                          I am saying creative-1, as a writer, should know better. 'course, we all do take shortcuts often, esp, in chatrooms such as this. pidgin being a major 'shortcut'... that 'is and are' thang just happens to be a beeg kine pet peeve of mine'zes.
                          Oh, and also that dumb, damnable habit of adding an apostrophe before each and every "s".
                          (...landscape filling orders from zoo's for wild animals.)
                          as Dave Barry points out; everybody is committing this faux pas so dayum often, it now means nothing more than:

"Here comes an esss!"

As Strunk says in 'Elements of Style':
                          "You can utter pidgin
                          You can use shorthand word chop ups. But ya simply cain't never use 'IS' for plural,
                          nor can ya put an apostrophe anywhere ya damn well please, Chucko!"

hey. he said it.
                          Last edited by kimo55; February 26, 2006, 09:08 AM.

Comment

This is a tough audience!

Comment

This is the second or third time Kimo55 has slammed me for minor errors in my posts.

It's really diminished my enthusiasm for participating here at Hawaii Threads.

I thought I was doing something positive for the group and instead, I get criticized for using "is" instead of "are."

I'd prefer a gentle reminder, if I'm in error. These aren't felonies....

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X