Political Status/Colonialism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Status/Colonialism

I just would like to know everybodies opinions on what you think about soveriegnty and independence for hawai'i and other colonized oppressed countries???

do you guys/girls think its a good idea or what???

personally i think it is , of course cuz of what they did to the monarchy and stuff..... its only right to restore what was maliciously taken away.
    Ebb And Flow

Re: Political Status/Colonialism

Originally posted by newroots
    I just would like to know everybodies opinions on what you think about soveriegnty and independence for hawai'i and other colonized oppressed countries???
    Question? What form of soveriegnty and or independance do you subscribe to?

Seriously, there are so many different options. Everything from Hawaiian's only "reservations" like the American Indians, to just not having to pay Federal Taxes, to a complete separation of Hawaii from the United States (and would all citizens have the option to remain residents of Hawai'i?), And there are many more variables that can be thrown into the mix.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Here is a link to a thesis presented at University of Hawaii regarding sovereignty and its effect on non-kanaka maolis. Its interesting reading and can provide information that may help folks make up their minds as to whether independence is a good thing or not.

Fran

http://www.hookele.com/non-hawaiians
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by newroots
        and other colonized oppressed countries???
        Oh, if only it were so easy and so black & white. Are there any countries left on this planet that haven't been colonized or seized or had their governments overthrown at some point in history? Do we return Mexico to Aztec descendants, or Japan to the Ainu? Who gets claim to Okinawa or the Phillippines? How much of Canada should be in Inuit or Dene hands now? Where do you put the historical cutoff point? With Blackfeet ancestry, how much of the United States do I get to claim, even though I follow no cultural aspects of said ancestry?

As for Hawaiian independence specifically, I honestly do not believe it can or will happen. That doesn't mean that there aren't steps that can be taken to address injustices, or that I think it would be either right or wrong - just that I doubt it will become reality. The past cannot be undone, and so much of the socio-political (and geographical) landscape has changed; what's left now is to do right for the future.

So --- what answers are there for that last statement?

Comment

Working...
        X