Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oahu the Motorcycle Theft Capital of the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oahu the Motorcycle Theft Capital of the US?

Maddie, I sure hope you're parking your bike in well lighted, secured areas. According to a study by Progressive Insurance, even though Honolulu is ranked the 53rd largest metro area, it has ranked as the top area for stolen bike claims in the country for the last 3 years. I wonder if they only were looking at motocycles and not mopeds in this study?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Oahu the Motorcycle Theft Capital of the US?

Kinda strange when the local news reports on conveyance thefts, they never mention motorcycles. Only cars and what brands are the most popular. Being the cynical old fart that I am, I say it's another scam by Progressive so they can justify raising their premiums for insurance in Hawai'i. Not much new there since we already pay about the highest insurance premiums in the country.

Comment

It's funny that we don't hear much about motorcyle theft, if this is true.

What could the thiefs be doing with them? And not get caught riding? It's not like they could drive it out of state.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Miu, NO one would dare steal maddie's bike.

menehune, they would prolly, strip them and re-customize them. ya know make them look completely different...

Comment

Nope, heard this when I took my MSF motorcycle training bck in '93 (after a 9 year absense from motorcycles)---sportbike thefts were mentioned by our instructor as VERY HIGH on Oahu...

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Maddie, I sure hope you're parking your bike in well lighted, secured areas.
            Yep, in my garage. I have a two-car garage, sort of ... the second "car" space is actually intended for a golf cart. Perfect size for a bike. I put both my bikes in that space and they just fit.

When I'm at work, well, that's another story. But you can only do so much, and worry so much, and after that, you've got to just chance it, I guess. Locks don't do much, maybe slow the thief down by 10 seconds or so.

To answer the question of what people do with stolen bikes ... they pretty much tear 'em down and sell the parts. What a waste. Anyone who buys stolen parts is as much of a scumbag as the thief. Whoops, there I go, being "thin-skinned" again!

Comment

I for one, find it very easy to believe we are the motorcycle theft capital of the U.S. Take a look at the parking situation. Where else besides UH-Manoa and a few apartment/condo complexes are the proper facilities available?

Downtown, some moped owners have gotten creative and begun locking their bikes to the “faux bicycle” racks that are bolted to the sidewalk. But we all know that’s not what they were meant for. There were even complaints brought to the neighborhood board about it.

I think generally speaking, we live in a anti-two-wheeler state. Motorists honk their horn at you if you ride your bicycle on the road. Where are the bike lanes (besides on University Avenue)? Why is moped insurance so hard to come by? Why don’t they split up the motorcycle training course so that you can attend without missing work?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

It seems coincidental that this thread started about the same time I just learned that Lo-Jack makes tracking devices for motorcycles.

I just happened to see a reference to it, very briefly, on television last night. Now if a "pro" motocycle thief ( like that is a true profession ) gets his/her hands on a Lo-Jack equipped motorcycle, I'm betting he/she knows how to neutralize the tracking device, (surely "pro" scum bag bike thieves must be aware of these systems ) and continue on with whatever is then done with a stolen motorcycle, be it stripping it for parts, "selling" it outright, shipping it out of the country, etc.

I'm curious if Lo-Jack for motorcycles has proven to be of any benefit for motorcycle owners who have had a motorcylce stolen from them. Have the devices ever aided in recovering a stolen motorcycle? I'm also thinking that Lo-Jacks for motorcycles would probably appeal to owners of high-end bikes, like Harley-Davidsons and bikes with all the bells and whistles like the Honda Gold Wings.

Comment

Working...
                X